Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D Noob Challenge August 1st-16th, 2013

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
5t90CG4.png

Welcome to 2D Noob Challenge August 1st-15th, 2013!

To be clear, if you're bad at 2D, this challenge for you! It's all about learning!

The objective of these bi-weekly sessions is to allow people to teach one another the practical skills needed to be a concept artist for video games and entertainment. As opposed to just trying to create a pretty picture, we're going to be creating art that can be used by 3D artists in a production pipeline.

For each bi-weekly session we will focus follow the art style of a game. This way, it teaches participants to adapt to a particular art style and it gives everyone something to work with! In addition to that we're going to urge you guys to put emphasis on one fundamental 2D art skill while working on your concept art.

For this session, we're going to focus on something extremely simple to get things kickstarted!

THEME: Mass Effect (SCI-FI)
THEME SPECIFIC CONCEPT ART EXAMPLES: http://imgur.com/a/eHBd2
CONTEXT: Storage Props (Crates, Barrels, Gun Locker, etc.)
FUNDAMENTAL FOCUS: Use of reference

GUIDELINE/EXAMPLE WORK: http://imgur.com/a/MPC1B

Please feel welcome to suggest games to use as themes, the context, and fundamental focus for next session!

RULES:
1. Try your best to finish what you start, this is a great habit to get into as it progresses your skills as an artist.
2. Give critique to at least one previous person's submission for every post that you make.
3. Please only post your submissions to this thread as opposed to littering P&P with them.
4. Feel free to submit as many concepts as you like, and try your best to follow the guidelines.
5. Share your workflow, techniques, and try to build off of one another's concepts.
6. Within your submission, show your process if possible.
7. Try your best to follow the guideline provided in the thread.
8. Have fun!

Remember, we're here to provide constructive critiques (paint-overs included) to one anothers work for the sake of getting better, so don't hold back and be sure you can take critique yourself!

Also, you can add Alex, the creator of the 3D Noob Challenges on skype, and he will add you to our new 2D group!
(Make sure to tell him you want to join the 2D noob challenge when you add him.)

Suggestions on how we can improve this challenge are greatly encouraged!

Here's my entry as an example:
vdoRyl6.jpg

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I'm in, I suck at painting. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One minor suggestion, use a small phrase to describe what the topic of the challenge is, it's sill to overly dissect it and they use a overly long sentence to reiterate the topic. Just put Sci-Fi Storage Prop before the theme and context information.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well I started messing with silhouettes and coming up with some sort of direction for the concept, decided to solve for a storage solution for a cylinder, I still have to figure out if I just want it wall mounted or some sort of transportation cart. The side clamps are more interesting, but the wrapping around the base to seal it in is kinda cool too, might combine that with the inverted clamps.

7gf7LQI.png
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD Well I started messing with silhouettes and coming up with some sort of direction for the concept, decided to solve for a storage solution for a cylinder, I still have to figure out if I just want it wall mounted or some sort of transportation cart. The side clamps are more interesting, but the wrapping around the base to seal it in is kinda cool too, might combine that with the inverted clamps.

7gf7LQI.png
    Cool shapes so far. Just wanted to point out that with clamps and all that sort of stuff you need to be careful. A lot of Mass Effect's art direction has sleek minimalist influences which you might want to pay attention to.

I remember some of the lockers and stuff in ME1 were such simple shapes.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some quick, early sketches from me. Not even sure if I like any of the shapes or even if I'm making a crate or a mounted wall locker.

ECPY9ga.png
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's my first entry!
    iDMkI4l.jpg

@Hayden Zammit:
    Great start, I like the sketches you've posted so far! My only suggestion would be to have a variation in details within each part of your design. You have some decent base shaapes, but now all you need are some finer details/greebles. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    3REoK.jpg
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    In.
    Let's see if I can get something done. xP
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making progress on this. Going to start proper lighting next.

UTbJkIA.png
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On this as well. Got some rough sketches that i'll be cleaning up and posting later tonight hopefully.
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Glad to see more people participating! Me and Alex will be in this PC google hangout a bit later if you guys want to work together:
    https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/2a16ae9a66e2afd6d0ca841500008327db7792d9?authuser=0&hl=en-GB
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I said I suck. That was an understatement. With that said I also don't have the time to put much effort into these but if I can spend a few minutes sketching a day that's better than nothing!

It looks like a 3 year old's crayon drawings.
    3U3as.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Google hangout + Beer, that's that sunday yo.
    bx9p.jpg

10/10 best hangout ever.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must they be digital paitings?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nah, just do whatever.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I've got. Need to learn how to render properly.

RTN4Dlv.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    for rendering, have a look at scott robertson tutorials if you haven't seen them yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Petru wrote: »

Nope, in fact I'll do a traditional one for fun tomorrow!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for rendering, have a look at scott robertson tutorials if you haven't seen them yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign

Oh, neat. I didn't even know that he had youtube tutorials.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Can you use 3D as a base to the concept? Or is this defeating the purpose?
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer and Zammit i like yours.
    Edit.
    I think i'll be in a little disadvantage because i do traditional and take photos with my phone^_^.And anyway these is the first challenge i take part of,and with my horrible drawing skills... .Here to learn.:)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you use 3D as a base to the concept? Or is this defeating the purpose?
    Don't see why not. I've seen plenty of elite concept artists use 3D as a base for perspective and complex shapes. That said, you'll learn more if you work it out without 3D and get better at 2D.

Was just watching a tutorial by Feng Zhu. He said something like 60% or 80% of work starts with 3D.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHfJCvAPqlw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbdyjrrJAjDIACjCsjAGFAA"]Episode 66 - 3D to 2D - YouTube[/ame]
    Thanks for the answer and Zammit i like yours.
    Thanks. Need more practice though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Robertson sometimes does the 3D -> 2D thing as well. It's helpful because it nails down your perspective on the larger shapes and then you can use those as guides for everything else.

He said in one of his books that he will lay out the tires of a new vehicle in Modo and start drawing on top of that, knowing that the tires are in the correct positions and perspective.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must we give more poses?I mean angles.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Robertson sometimes does the 3D -> 2D thing as well. It's helpful because it nails down your perspective on the larger shapes and then you can use those as guides for everything else.

He said in one of his books that he will lay out the tires of a new vehicle in Modo and start drawing on top of that, knowing that the tires are in the correct positions and perspective.

Tires would be one of the harder things to get right without a bit of an aid I'd think.
    Must we give more poses?I mean angles.

You can if you want. Just start drawing and post up some progress shots for people to critique. That's what these monthly challenges are about.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,i'll put post some progress in a few minutes,this is my first "challenge" of this type that i take part of so yea... . Anyway i do traditional drawing and i shot them with my lame 5mega px phone camera so sorry about pixeling,new to real drawing before i was just sketching stuff on my school benches... . Progress up in a bit,thanks in advance for critique:).
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stage 1 > Image , Image , Image
    I started with basic shape,references were a image of a weapon that Brandon shared with us in the first post and a image searched by google(a bulldog ref).
    Stage 2>Image
    Started detailing the upper left part.
    Stage 3> Image
    More detail and started the middle upper part.
    Stage 4 > Image
    Detailed front part
    Here is the overview so far : Image
    Edit: Sorry for double post.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man. Looks like it could be one of the Collector weapons from Mass Effect or something. I'd get rid of those gears and the canisters on top though. if you're going for something sleek that could fit into the current theme, then those things aren't really working well. I mean, an advanced futuristic gun probably wouldn't have gears, especially ones that were showing.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks will see what can be done about those:).
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    This thread is a great idea, seeing more 2d on PC is always a pleasure! Keep it up folks.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My official entry:
    1.First shape:
    3UjQw.jpg
    2.Final product:
    3UjOk.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    This is indeed awesome. Been wanting to improve my 2D for a while. Thinking about starting up a sketchbook thread soon.

I'm always drooling over the Sketch threads. The recent works of Fightpunch and the Substrata crew have given me that push to join in with this.

The talk on 3D -2D workflow's is cool. I've only just started using it myself. It's helping a lot. Especially when I'm trying to exaggerate my fov or set up a dynamic angle. Feng's channel helped a lot.

Thumbnail time...
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup there is nothing wrong with using 3D to set up your perspective, it's a fairly common practice among 2D artists as far as I know.

Just a reminder, Petru, remember to follow the context of what we're creating. I like your gun concept but it doesn't fit the criteria unfortunately! Also, don't forget to give critiques to at least one previous poster whether its a draw-over or just some simple suggestions.

In terms of getting several views in, you're welcome to do so if you're more experienced and have the aptitude to reconstruct your drawing in multiple orthographic views for the 3D artist to model.

Good to see more people participating!
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll get another entry then,a prop:)
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still workin on it!

weaponcrates01.jpg
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suidae polycounter lvl 11
    I'm happy to see a thread like this. I shifted my focus to 2d a while ago but polycount still remains my favorite place to be.

Liking those ideas levigilbert. It looks like it's a weapon cache perhaps deployed from space ships or ground vehicles? Does it land by parachute, rockets, or does it just smash itself into the ground? That might help you decide on an outside shell at least.

I haven't done much scifi or mechanical drawing, so this will be a challenge. Here's my first attempt out of the way. Just some simple wall storage. I don't think it even fits the category as a prop, so it's back to the drawing board to make something less boring and a little more fitting to the challenge.

t8seGII.jpg
  • Edmund Mesina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty! I'm liking what everyone's got so far. Here's my post for this challenge:

MD8O13r.jpg

It's a cryogenic stasis chamber! It stores Human, Asari and Krogan alike, so that fits the criteria right?
    In hindsight, I should've set down some perspective guides doing it but oh well lesson learnt.

@Petru, just to add to what Hayden said; try to think of a clear idea your design will communicate. Here's some pistols to illustrate my point:

ME3_Executioner_Pistol.png
    Big, square, angular and chunky design

vs

ME3_Scorpion_Heavy_Pistol.png
    Swooping, curved, sleek, and relatively thinner design.

You can see that both pistols communicate clear, distinct design motifs. My two cents, hope that helps.
  • Petru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,anyway i got the theme wrong so i need to make a new one.
    Your cryogenic chamber looks good.The one opened is kinda messy because the openage system is hardly visible,the upper plate it kinda looks like it was opened with some cables or something like that.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MD8O13r.jpg

Hey, I think this is cool. Looks really sleek and minimalistic for the most part. If it were me, I'd ditch the big pipes and maybe try something else.The problem I have with that is you have that holo-terminal there. The big pipes seem like they'd be too low tech compared to the rest.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I really like that cryo-chamber..

I started working on a weird concept that popped into my head when i was watching Red Dwarf :) I come up with these gnarly little space creatures called grease slugs. Large power stations or mining ships would use these things as cleaners and let them crawl all over machinery so that they could keep machines in order and also use the grease that they produce.

d41w.jpg

Then I remembered that we're supposed to be conforming to the mass effect style. So i stopped.

Haven't played any of them but I'm going to go do some research and develop something more 'sleek'. Perhaps a self-opp machine, like the one in prometheus.. :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet thread!

Lankus - Those colors are making me feel greasey inside D: If I remember there were plenty of parts in ME that had a older/seedier look. An old merc ship perhaps? I kind of imagined your concept as being in front of some sort of open market as cheap sidewalk cuisine, new yorker style. Afterall, eating food for health in games is all the rage these days.

Spent a bit roughing out general shapes and random things to get my mind going, still haven't got anything that jumps out at me. Trying to get back in the habit of the whole thumbnails -> sketches -> final process rather than skipping ahead. It doesn't look like much now but eeh its a start. Anyone else care to share some thumbnails? :)
    ozZJlGp.jpg
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Figured now is the time to learn some 2d fundamentals!

Attempted some sort of weapons locker or apparently arcade machine but having hard time shifting to sleek designs!

2nrn3br.png
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    @ Deathstick, Great idea man. I could picture it like that too! Cheers for the heads up about the merc ship. I'll go investigate :)

Nice shapes people!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Totally going to get into this thread :)

I fail at 2d
  • frostvalkyrie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is incredibly late but I didn't really join this forum until a couple of days ago so I knocked this together today, not amazing but something.

masseffectgun3_zps77c42bdf.jpg

It's a Salarian inspired sniper rifle.

I look forward to the next one anyway :)