Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate captain, WIP thread.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Linfo polycounter lvl 11
Hello fellow polycounters! First time posting a development thread here :)

Im working on the captain of a pirate ship, I think it's starting to get somewhere but I dont think it's quite there yet. For starters, Im trying to learn how to do cloth folds, though figuring out compression folds has been quite difficult and I feel like I still haven't figured it out.
Also, since this is a pirate I want to make him look more messed up/tired/war torn, but I do want to make him look somewhat reputable as he's still the captain.

I still need to start working on the hair is it's clear I haven't really touched that area yet and I want to start detailing the cloths, but I dont want to start with that before Im sure the base mesh is good enough.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of what I've got so far, feedback, crits and advice is more than welcome :)

MaleBaseMesh_WIP_17.jpg

MaleBaseMesh_WIP_18.jpg

Replies

• silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good model so far!
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as modelling its looking good.....but he is way far from looking like a pirate captain...look for ian mcshane and geoffreyrush from POIC movie...may be give him a rash costume...an evil look..well...do you have any concepts or reference image??
  • Linfo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linfo polycounter lvl 11
    I mostly used Jeff Bridges as a reference but took some liberties as I didnt want to make this guy look exactly like him, just inspired. I do like the suggestions you made harricool, but I think Im going to leave those for later as Im going to have to make several variations.

Anyway, I worked a little bit on the face and started the hat, though I need to find/make a better alpha for the leather, anyone knows of a good seamless texture I can use?

MaleBaseMesh_WIP_21.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His hair seems rather neat & tidy for a pirate - or for any mariner of that period. The spent months at sea, and very few pirates placed "shave and a haircut" anywhere in there top 10 list of things to do when in port. Hair tended to be long and beards unkempt, although this image might be a bit too far:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIhWFnZtMVSNhqlfALV7BhVEv8X3_jZ_jI7p_YiRJ3di21YW60
    The clothes also don't scream "pirate!" - they seem rather typical of a fairly well-to-do merchant of the period. Successful pirates tended to go over-the-top, with very expensive finery which tended to be mismatched and was often worn and stained (laundry also failing to make the top-10 list...)

When you get to his gear, go large - a cutlass, at least one visible dagger, and at least 2-3 pistols (nobody re-loads during a boarding - you fire, then switch to the next weapon).
  • Linfo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linfo polycounter lvl 11
    Good feedback there DWalker, I like the idea of going over the top with the gear. Regarding the hair, I'll see what I can do but this going to eventually be a 4000 tri mesh, so I can't go crazy with that sort of thing.