Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Envrionment Art - Fire Extinguisher C&C Please

onizuka92
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
onizuka92 polycounter lvl 9
Hello all. This is my first post on Polycount and i would be honored if all who see this page leave a comment or critique on my Model.

Created in 3ds max
Rendered in Marmoset
Textured in Photoshop,Ndo2,Ddo

I would also like to know if there is another way to post my pictures with higher resolutions than the attachments allow.

Replies

• Fizzly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    Welcome :) Model looks pretty good in my opinion. Nice silhouette. Some polygons could be spared in the smaller parts however.

Also, the text/sticker looks pretty big compared to your reference. It makes it look like it is a very small fire extinguisher.

And I think you intend to make it look 'rusty', am I right? It looks more like it is covered in dirt and sand rather than it has rust on it from years of wear and tear. Maybe try reducing the dusty feel a bit and add some more crisp rust marks and rust streaks. :)

Good luck :thumbup:
  • onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comment. yes I am going for a rustic look. This is my second attempt at texturing a model on my own with Ddo and not with any compositing other than the label. I'll rework it and see if I can get a better look.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, so, looking at this, you need some more color in your spec. and add some paint chipping. plus, get some reflection in there. right now it doesn't looks a whole lot like your reference except for the model itself.

theres also the spec of the metal piece for the handle. that needs to be brighter, and sharper. right now it looks too dull. I agree about the rust marks as well, make them more crisp. add some tearing to the sticker as well.
  • onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not familiar with specular color other than by name. I will look it up and see if I can incorporate it into the model. Also I personally was not going for 100% replication of the reference due to adding the rustic look as well as a thicker looking fire extinguisher. I like the idea of paint chipping that went completely over my head. Thanks for the critique.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you are confusing "rusty" and "rustic", unless of course this extinguisher is on a farm...

The rust currently looks too random; think about where water would naturally settle - at the base, along seams, edges, and scratches - and expand it from there. The nozzle is probably plastic, so it shouldn't have any rust (it can, however, be scratched, dented, and dull...)
    252008937_44f74be722_z.jpg

The label should be much smaller.
  • onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9299735892_e650fcc2ab_o.jpg
    9299735774_51d9087522_o.jpg
    9299736006_74ef4becc0_o.jpg
    I hope this works. these are the new shots of the textures addressing the rust and spec issues. Please comment and critique.
  • Moppyboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion I think you should make it so the rust isn't directly on the label as it is there if you can try make it so it looks as if it goes around the label. The label is a plastic sticker attached to the metal so it wouldn't rust. Keep in mind how rust tends to form on metal as well it would be more around the base and the top of the extinguisher then throughout the middle if you are using ddo you can just start the top and bottom as a different metal and then change them in the quick reflectance menu under the material tab. I hope this helps
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the rust on the label. Rust could appear around the edges, where rusty water has dripped onto it, or where water has built up and rusted between the label and the paint, but probably not in the center of the label. You could still dirty it up with stains and discoloring though.

Are you using a Gloss map? And can you post your texture sheets? Using a gloss map will help define the specular falloff of the paint, rusted paint, rubber, and the label. And for the specular, I'd add more grunge overall. Are you using a Normal map too? A very faint, but bumpy normal map can help break up the specular highlight as well. The main thing that's really ruining the rusty feel is the high saturation and the strong spec.
  • onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like I've been missing so many points in my texturing. I do not believe I have a gloss map but I do have a spec. I will post my revised maps later on today.I will take the rust away from the label. Though I felt it made it look too clean , but it makes sense that it would not go through the label. But if it were a label affixed to it for a long time rust cannot peak through due to scratches and such? I've been learning a little bit evetyday from this project ,so thank you all for your help and citiques.