Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Gal

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Calvin polycounter lvl 10
Hey Polycount, this is my first thread here.

I'm trying to emulate a character that Tyson Murphy made.

Here's the drawing that I made based on his character.
UD6zZ1C.jpg

Here's my current progess with the model. I changed the design a bit as I went. I don't know how to capture an image in zbrush yet so these are screenshots of the viewport.

yy7ClwI.jpg

I could model it in Maya pretty quickly, but I'm using zbrush as a learning experience. I've used it before but have never made a full character or done hard surface in zbrush. I'll retopologize it and give it a hand-painted texture once the model is done.

Tomorrow I'll take a stab at the hair, which I think will be the most difficult part, especially her messy ponytail thing.

I've been looking at this for too long and would appreciate some outside feedback / advice. Thanks!

Replies

• praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This is a really nice start so far :), I think the main issue right now is some inconsistency in the forms of the model as supposed to the concept, in the concept looks like she is in a large suit of armor where in the model the armor feels much more form fitting, like the legs for instance in the concept the legs are wider making it feel more bulky and heavy where in the model they feel rather slim and form fitting, things like that pretty quick fixes that will really catch the feel of the concept art. and dont forget to add the trim on armor like it is in the concept thats gonna be big for the silhouette. So yeah just right now it feels too form fitting but I think after its been beefed up a little you'll be right on target. Keep it up man its a nice start. :D
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't have as much time to work on this the past couple of days as I thought I would. Here's the base mesh for the hair which I've imported in from maya. I wanted to learn zsketch for the hair but I couldn't find out where the tool was, so I guess zbrush won this battle.

4WVw6Gc.png
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the hair. I'm going to retopologize it now and start painting the texture.
    pxahpEg.png
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the retopology. Would love some advice / resources on how to make a nice UV map! I'm sure there are good methods that I just don't know about.

6duPcQf.jpg
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    I use UV layout. It's a great program for unwrapping UV's. It's not hard to understand and you'll be able to get your character unwrapped quickly. feels like I just did a commercial - lol.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    nicely made- I really like the topology :)
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY wrote: »
    I use UV layout. It's a great program for unwrapping UV's. It's not hard to understand and you'll be able to get your character unwrapped quickly. feels like I just did a commercial - lol.
    Thanks, I'll try that out.
    serriffe wrote: »
    nicely made- I really like the topology :)
    Thanks.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Depending on how many Tris you want in total for this char, but I think you can add more edgeloops to her face.
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Depending on how many Tris you want in total for this char, but I think you can add more edgeloops to her face.

I want to keep it under 6000, but I can probably remove a lot from the hair without much impact.
    Check your proportions.
    • Her head seems a bit large for her body.
    • Her shoulders look like they're shrugging.
    • In the concept she looks like she has no neck. If I had to guess I would say this is the result of drawing the armor without first drawing the body under the armor for proportion reference. The head looks like its been placed on top of the armor as a last step.
    • I'd bring her arms out to 45-degrees for the bind pose if you plan on rigging her.
    • Not really sure what you're doing with eyes. Can't say I've seen anyone do that before.

All good points, thanks. I'll make those changes. The model is ~ 7 heads and the concept is closer to 6. I think the hair is what makes her head look bigger than it is.

The squares on her eyes are for the highlights. They'll allow me to have a symmetrical face texture and still have highlights.
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's the UV map. UV Layout is pretty nice, but it crashed twice. Regardless, it went a lot faster than if I had done the UV's in Maya. Unless there's something about this that I need to change, I'll start painting tomorrow.
    ovZOvJm.png