Home Technical Talk

Maya // Error: Unable to preserve UVs.

Hello! :)

I am sure many Polycounters encounter the good old preserve UV error on a weekly/monthly basis. As I understand it, it is logical why it will not perform the operation withot a proper foundation to expand from.

// Error: Unable to preserve UVs. Disable the Preserve UV option to continue with this edit. //

However, I am sure there must be someone out there who has found a workaround to get it working? I don't want to go in and cut UVs every time I want to expand polys. Has anyone ever encountered a quick fix for this issue? :poly122:

After a while the accumulated time to perform this process takes its toll in dev...

Thanks for your time guys/girls :).

Replies

• 54Strat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    54Strat polycounter lvl 5
    Understand the command and what it's actually doing and why it fails, then alter your workflow or uv layouts accordingly. If you use cubes a lot, then I can see why this would become problematic if the default mappiing (inverted 'T' arrangement) was used.

Maybe create a quick script to convert verts to edges, cut UVs and get back into the move command?

Can't really be more helpful, sorry. I've always considered this feature as a bonus, though I've written tools that exploit it, it can't perform miracles.
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, and thanks for your reply :). That is all well and I understand what you mean. Is there a reason to why it successfully updates in the viewport before releasing the left-mouse button? Is that just a viewport thing, where it just works?

It always bothered me that the desired results are always just out of reach. What you described as a solution will probably work better than my current workflow, and I am already working on a script like it :).

I'm not asking for a miracle, just some SCIENCE!
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    I use this a lot on a daily basis,and found that sometimes it snaps back if the face "tension" is too high.
    shooting an edge on the face in question will solve this,also moving it by tiny amounts sometimes does the trick(ie move the edge/vert in small increments to get to your destination).Like 54Strat said,sometimes seperating/split uv the face off in the uv editor helps because it gets rid of the "tension" on the uv's.Its hard to explain what i mean by tension,but if you are using preserve uvs a lot youll understand what i mean..
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the nudge thing is a classic :). Unfortunately it doesn't always work... and when it does, it usually only works to a certain extent.

"shooting an edge on the face in question will solve this"

Got an example?