Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FOLIO CRITIQUE : Daniel Ries (Dirigible)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dirigible polycounter lvl 8
Sup, Polycount, long time no post!

I'm gonna start sending in applications, but before I do I want your expert advice on my portfolio site.

http://danielries.carbonmade.com/

Which pieces are good, and which one suck? Is there too much of something? Not enough of something else? Rip into it - hurt my feelings!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    what bugs me is your oversized white text, it is so clunky and makes your page messy.
    Try getting better placement and make it not so big, people have eyes, look at this text we are writing here right now. Its 1/5th of yours per example.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Chilly
    Good idea, I can add a "contact info" thing on the main page. I'm a bit limited by what Carbonmade is designed to do, but luckily you can do some unorthodox stuff to get good results.

@Shrike
    roger, text too large
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    The work is generally beautiful. I would make the textures on the rocks less blurry and more up to par with the other work you've done. How do you feel your schooling has helped you?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, alvordr!
    Honestly I am about 80% self-taught, as far as 3d stuff is concerned. My classes were great for introducing me to the tools, and really good for working on projects with groups of people (which is where I learned the most), but the majority of actual practical knowledge I've gained is stuff that I've learned from experimentation and polycount.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Personally, I think removing The Executioner might be a good idea. He doesn't quite live up to your other work.

Website is wonderful. Very easy to use, and clean enough. The big white text doesn't bother me, particularly.

Good luck in the job search!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Personally, I think removing The Executioner might be a good idea. He doesn't quite live up to your other work.

Website is wonderful. Very easy to use, and clean enough. The big white text doesn't bother me, particularly.

Good luck in the job search!

That's actually very useful to hear. I've had a couple other people suggest the same thing, so I'm definitely going to move him out of the characters section. I might put him in the 'Z-sketches' section, as an untextured model, since I think his textures are the main source of suck.