Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ceiling mounted turret

interpolator
Online / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey guys,

Since im more of a Graphic Design guy, Im not that into modeling, to be honest the whole subdivision modeling thing is pretty new to me, atleast in practice, I only modeled bad low polys before. (I did a lot of offline rendering tho)

This is my first try at highpoly modeling, (Im not going to bake it) and wanted to do a artwork out of it which is more or less presentable atleast.

Since I have no lowpoly, all materials are procedurial, I used 2 2048 textures for the walls and 3 tiling 1024 for the metals and one tiling 2048 which I painted from scratch for the dark steel (barrel etc)

I plan on doing better materials and getting a laser sensor + camera done, and do a night shot where the muzzle flash illuminates the whole scene alone and maybe get a better background... Im not so sure if im happy with it.

Render and Modeling in Cinema 4D

Turret_New2.jpg

(Without materials) http://s4.postimg.org/v9o9tee5p/Turretv2.png

What do you think ?

Replies

• This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    good model/textures etc. but i have a problem with the fac there seems to be no targeting device or camera/laser etc. how is this supposed to target people or operated by someone if it cannot see :) other then that great :P
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    well we can pretend its on the left hand side and unseen haha

No i know its missing, I plan adding a targeting module next, just gotta figure out how it should look ; )
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, something about the city in the background looks off to me, as if the two don't match all that well. (mainly the car is bugging me) feels out of place.

Also, is it mechanically functional?
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sick dude.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    what do you mean with functional ? Like rigged functional or realistic modeling ?
    Its "believable" Id say, the suspension and the cannon make sense at the surface atleast. I just forgot some oil pipes it seems

Hm i think the background is not lighted yellow enough, I guess I remove the car from the image.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    The chain could use more detail, for now looks like a spline->mesh that had one basic extrude/bevel operation.

flex_chute_curl.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Shrike wrote: »
    what do you mean with functional ? Like rigged functional or realistic modeling ?
    Its "believable" Id say, the suspension and the cannon make sense at the surface atleast. I just forgot some oil pipes it seems

Hm i think the background is not lighted yellow enough, I guess I remove the car from the image.

I was referring to realistic modelling. As for the background not matching I think it's because the gun and wall got some solid wear and tear going on, then there is the although blurry, still what looks like a a clean city landscape that doesn't add up.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ah no, as I wrote Im barely starting with the subdivision stuff, and CAD things are another world in its whole again, that is industrial design and why would anyone do that for a game or film model ?

Hmm, I imagined a city like in israel, well from far anything looks more or less the same, but the buildings are usually very worn off, I dunno.

lebanon_beirut_079_war.png

Well but youre right, I need a more damaged background, maybe I photoshop something together. It was intended to show a everyday scenario where the military is omnipresent

The ammo chain is a valid point too, gotta do something interesting for that one. It was really messy getting that one to work, I wanted visible bullets at first, but I couldnt get it done, so I gave up at first and left those rectangles >.>
  • Andyjonescreative
    you can get the visible bullets with the cloner set to object in c4d. make sense?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    makes sense. I will set back the turret for the moment and work on a later time on it again, with proper fixes and a new laser sensor, ammo belt and in nighttime.

I started modeling something a lot more simple now, a fireaxe - trying to get the complete workflow through for once. With sculpting, baking and retopo and everything.

This is what i have now:

fireaxe.png

So far pretty happy with it, but I want to do a hole for the wood piece in the edge, and I have no clue how to do that without breaking the whole nice curvature of the edge. Any advice on this ?

(Or should I just sculpt a little indent later to fake a hole ? thats actually all I want, but I would like to do it in modeling if it is possible)