Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High tech/Sci fi Compound bow

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SebastianK polycounter lvl 12
update
R2mDf1l.jpg

8F8IA0f.jpg

Been wanting to practice my hard surface modeling and texturing and that resulted in me working on this. It's some sort of science fiction variant of a compound hunting bow. Eventually I'm looking to retopologize and bake it and get it textured, but right now I'm working on the high poly.

Here are some gritty viewport screenshots showing my current progress:
scifibowwip2.png
And yeah, the strings were just added on there quickly so I could see where they'd fall, so that's why they just sort of end abruptly and aren't attached to anything.

Opinions and comments always welcome.

Replies

• Wingednosering
    I love the design on this thing. Did you come up with it yourself or are you working off of a concept?
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    This is some nice work. Just a note on the scope, when you hold a bow you hold it at arms length. At that distance magnification scopes don't work. Looks cool, but not practical. The red dot would though. :D
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Some of those edges might be to tight to bake down properly, especially on the scope. The design looks cool though, good job!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    That is killer! Nice work. Bardler is probably right about the tight edges. Still super awesome!
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Some of those edges might be to tight to bake down properly, especially on the scope. The design looks cool though, good job!

Yeah, for sure. I must have gotten too excited or something. Will definitely go in and try to fix that.
    This is some nice work. Just a note on the scope, when you hold a bow you hold it at arms length. At that distance magnification scopes don't work. Looks cool, but not practical. The red dot would though. :D

Yeaah, that scope never did make much sense to me usability-wise.
    I love the design on this thing. Did you come up with it yourself or are you working off of a concept?

I'm sort of just combining elements I like from real compound bows and general technology stuff out there. Glad it seems to have worked out. :)
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had much time this summer but just recently came back to this model to redo some stuff. I got some comments on maybe trying to make it look bulkier and have slightly more of a silhouette, so that's what I'm trying to do right now. Ended up changing quite a few things, this is where I am with it atm. I haven't changed the scope into anything yet just because I haven't gotten to it, it'll probably become something else (actually usable) in the near future.

3FLcIuN.png
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    You messing with me? I think you forgot to change the image. (: Although I like the subtle changes to... .. . . everything.. looks the same but still really good XD.
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this has been on the back burner for quite a while now, but just recently picked it up again to finish it all up. I've made a low poly, baked everything down and just got going with the textures. Poly count ended up around 20k quads for the entire thing which seemed decent enough.
    Here's where I'm at right now with the texture, inspiration wise it's pretty obvious what I'm basing this on so might as well just go through with it.
    17X28R4.jpg
    6iQHdYr.jpg
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    dat.......detail.....
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Looked simplistic with the gray shader, but most definitively will bend well textured. Good!
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments :)

Did a bit of work

R2mDf1l.jpg

8F8IA0f.jpg