Home Unreal Engine

Bioluminescent water and distance fog

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,
Just starting out in UDK and assembling a scene and of course ran into some issues. I wanted the water (followed this tutorial http://www.hourences.com/ue3-water-indoors/) to emit a faint glow and tried to fake it by placing a directional light at the water level pointing straight upward (I have it selected in the second screenshot). The effect works pretty well in the bottom right corner but I haven't been able to raise the effect up to water level. Things I've tried: changing the light's position, increasing the intensity (which worked somewhat but gave me some ugly artifacts), moving the mesh at ground level out of the way play with a bunch of the options in the light (guess I just haven't found the right one). Also, is there a better way to achieve the effect of slightly bio luminescent water I'm going for?

Second question: How do I change/disable the distance fog? I got a mesh with some stars in the background that I want to use as the backdrop but as you may see in the first shot, it fades into the fog.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

m5qD6ZN.jpg

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Try plugging a Constant 3 with the bioluminescence color in the Emissive slot. You'll probably have to Multiply it with a few masks to keep some of the depth with the water. I think a DepthBiasedAlpha may work too.

For the Fog, did you start with one of the default Time of Day levels? There should be a Fog node that looks like a dinosaur or something way up in the sky. If you can't find it, go to the Scene window and you can select it from there.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to try plugging a greenish blue cubemap into the emissive too, maybe in combination with some cool masks. You'll probably have to play around with it to get it just right. Dunno how the cubemap would look, but it's an idea that looks good in my head.