Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

L115A3 Rifle

Hey guys, working on this L115A3 sniper rifle at the moment. As always I'd love to hear what you guys think, let me hear your crits!

343Px
343Rt

Replies

• VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gray on the model is off. In real life, gray doesn't look that way. Here's a link of a realistic gray for you to have an idea:

http://www.colorcombos.com/images/colors/666666.png

I'm just kidding :D Its an awesome Highres, sir. I can't wait for the full textured piece :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    VeeJayZee wrote: »
    The gray on the model is off. In real life, gray doesn't look that way. Here's a link of a realistic gray for you to have an idea:

http://www.colorcombos.com/images/colors/666666.png

I'm just kidding :D Its an awesome Highres, sir. I can't wait for the full textured piece :)
    I really need to work on my greys! It's my weakness! lol
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, I would have went with a bit of a brighter material/lighting set up. It's a little challenging to read the model ATM.

Looking awesome though! My only suggestion would be to make the lens covers the same peice of geo in the LP, and share the same texture space. I saw the idea in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1849075#post1849075

I'd think the same could be said for the dials on the side of the scope two. You can rotate them so there is no apparent instancing.

looking forward to bake/textures :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    Personally, I would have went with a bit of a brighter material/lighting set up. It's a little challenging to read the model ATM.

Looking awesome though! My only suggestion would be to make the lens covers the same peice of geo in the LP, and share the same texture space. I saw the idea in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1849075#post1849075

I'd think the same could be said for the dials on the side of the scope two. You can rotate them so there is no apparent instancing.

looking forward to bake/textures :)
    Those are good ideas! As for the lighting I used this material, so I assume it's my lighting rather than the material. I tried to use the blue/orange lighting setup but I'm not sure I used the right shades etc. I'll have another go. Thanks for the feedback!
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks awesome, cant wait for LP and textures!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thank you :)

Is this any easier to read?

34uGk.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    MUCH! Good work.

Now with it brighter, the only curious portion i see is where the grip(Frame?) meets the stock, Under the thumb hole. That intersection seems a little off. could be the angle though.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    MUCH! Good work.

Now with it brighter, the only curious portion i see is where the grip(Frame?) meets the stock, Under the thumb hole. That intersection seems a little off. could be the angle though.

Ah yes I see what you mean, will fix it, thanks.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I mean, FPV it will never be seen, and any other view it probably wouldn't be noticed.But ya know, if its easy enough to fix, might as well just to take it to that next level :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I mean, FPV it will never be seen, and any other view it probably wouldn't be noticed.But ya know, if its easy enough to fix, might as well just to take it to that next level :)

Yup! I always like to make sure I do every part of my models as best I can, for practise and so it looks nice in these renders. Plus the project this is for is a realistic simulator game, the stock folds and stuff and I don't know what they are planning for animations. I fixed it anyway but I cba to re-render right now so you'll have to take my words for it :poly124:
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    A very nice rifle, expertly executed. Would love a look at the hipoly!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Walrus wrote: »
    A very nice rifle, expertly executed. Would love a look at the hipoly!

This is the highpoly! I'm hurt :'(
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry I meant the wireframe!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    The almost pure white parts on the scope are because I collapsed subdivision->bend ;p Also yes I know I am lazy and messy!
    36WqY.png
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who cares if its messy, as long as it subdivides good! Awesome work man, well done!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Been busy with various things, combined with my slowness it's been a while since I've updated.

As always crits are lovely.

Low poly + normal map

3xbeF.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    looking pretty sharp. Mind sharing the tris count and a First person view? Maybe a few more angles?

Good work thus far.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    looking pretty sharp. Mind sharing the tris count and a First person view? Maybe a few more angles?

Good work thus far.

I'll post some more shots when I've got an AO bake I'm happy with done. Tri count is pretty high (~25K) but there are a few reasons behind this. Firstly, this is for a game somewhat like Arma and as such there are a variety of animations realistically handling the gun (and so it will be viewed from multiple angles). It's also not aimed at low-end machines. So I chamfered a few places to get some nice smooth edges and a better normal bake. I could probably have been more efficient with my polygons, but it's a learning process and more than anything I'm trying to produce results quicker.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Next gen weapons will be around 25-30k, atleast that is what they use in the first batch of FPS coming up now.

Looks nice to me

Now you use a lighter material, but also a lighter background lol ; )
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I understand the high tri count. I used about 9K on my revolver recently :) Looking good. Looking forward to AO and more shots.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks guys! And yeah, because this is in marmoset with default background and stuff. I need to pay more attention to my screenshot presentation :poly142:
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    lookin good! yup, i wanna see some ao and base textures! maybe throw in a wire for the 25 tri count, be interested to see how you set that up.

also like s620ex1 said, im still kind of worried about the bottom of the grip, yea its not gunna be seen but if its a portfolio piece, might as well do a quick edge fix, because it is showing through on the normal..

just a thought :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Post more pics, especially FPV, but so far looks like a solid bake.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    this seems pretty good. wireframe is bizarre, is that pre- or post-subdivision? you may want to add a second supporting edge to most areas that already have 1 to avoid a "soft" look
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    lookin good! yup, i wanna see some ao and base textures! maybe throw in a wire for the 25 tri count, be interested to see how you set that up.

also like s620ex1 said, im still kind of worried about the bottom of the grip, yea its not gunna be seen but if its a portfolio piece, might as well do a quick edge fix, because it is showing through on the normal..

just a thought :)
    I thought s6 was talking about how the two parts matched up? Which I fixed. What else is an issue?
    this seems pretty good. wireframe is bizarre, is that pre- or post-subdivision? you may want to add a second supporting edge to most areas that already have 1 to avoid a "soft" look

I may do the second loop thing. I've spent far too long getting to this point and I feel like adding in more loops would be a decent chunk of work for a most likely small change to the normal map (unless you think it will make a big difference?). Certainly I will do it in the future though.

And Post subdivision, I guess which is why it looks odd?

3xLXW.png
    3xLXa
    Computron wrote: »
    Post more pics, especially FPV, but so far looks like a solid bake.
    I didn't get the AO sorted yet but here you go.

3xLxF
    3xM77.jpg
    3xM24
    3xM3N
    3xM9m
    3xM9D
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like its been said, its not a big deal because its not going to be seen, but if its for your folio, might as well do the quick fix..

vhdvFms.jpg

just looks really wonky with the 2 different edge widths meeting together ya know?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Ah yeah I see what is meant now. I thought something different. I'll have a go at fixing it.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    As far as Type Accuracy. This is NOT an L115A3 of british designation.
    Wrong flashhider, wrong scope mount.
    You also missed the badger orgnance cosine indicator, which is issued with these rifles.

Its a nice model, but just another Accuracy International Rifle. Not an L115a3.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    As far as Type Accuracy. This is NOT an L115A3 of british designation.
    Wrong flashhider, wrong scope mount.
    You also missed the badger orgnance cosine indicator, which is issued with these rifles.

Its a nice model, but just another Accuracy International Rifle. Not an L115a3.
    Well this is an issue as accuracy is a major thing for this project. I would have though one of our military guys would have picked me up on that :/

Which flash hider and scope mount are the correct ones? And could you point me in the director of one of these indicators?
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem:

Correct Muzzlebrake:
    magnum_muzzle_brake_5240.jpg
    It´s got a thread for a tactical suppressor, also made by AI

Mount:
    l115a308.jpg

l115a303.jpg
    (You can also see the badger ordnance cosine indicator in the left lower corner. you can google it for better pics)

l115a301.jpg
    Got no clue on the brand of the mount tho... could be AI aswell..

Also.. you rail ontop of the reciever is too narrow.
    its mil std picatinny rail. you´ll find measures online.

youre also missing the adjustable sling attachment.
    see first scope mount pic, botto of the rifles body, between mag and pod.

the bipod is missing the long locking lever.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    EDIT: Thanks Rumkugel! It's good that you pointed this out but I am miffed that none of the military advisor guys didn't point this out to me. Creates a whole bunch of extra work for me (and it's just an unpaid indie position).

Is this any better? When I think a part is "done" I find it hard to come back to it for worry that modifying it will end up with a result worse than the original...
    Pretty sure I didn't make it worse...
    3xUSJ
    3xUSz
    3xUSs
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shape is great.
    But the middle gap is waaaaaay to large... check the rs pics.
    The pieces sit flush..

Btw.. do you want to show the stock in a fold postion aswell?

Edit: Just noticed.. you missed the locking pin for the stock...
    l115a303.jpg
    see that round pin on the right side of the pic, sticking out of the polymere shaft? thats it.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks dude, you've been a great help. I think I'm going to stop work for today though because it's really hot (which is rare for the UK) and it's getting to me, I'm winding myself up and getting really frustrated. I was looking forward to starting texturing lmao :(
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Can I be L115A3 nao?

3DYSc.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not the authenticity pro for this gun, So I can't speak to that, But i can give you props for taking the advice given even post bake and revising the gun.

Good stuff man! Can't wait to see textures.

New scope mount looks sick as well. Much better than the last, If that makes you feel better :)
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah nice! Thats more like it!
    Some minor things to nag about.
    The Flashhider/Adapter. That thing should be really massive.

See this Pic:
    [IMG)http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs2/39050_141436414_f3d8513cb57010e2a4489b6ef58070af896a7888_big[1].jpg[/IMG]

Some more things:

121212121u4ksh.jpg

and one more thing:
    the dials on the scope arent quite right ;)

keep it up!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I'm not the authenticity pro for this gun, So I can't speak to that, But i can give you props for taking the advice given even post bake and revising the gun.

Good stuff man! Can't wait to see textures.

New scope mount looks sick as well. Much better than the last, If that makes you feel better :)
    Thanks! Yeah accuracy is important for this project, so I kind of had to.

@Rumkugel Thanks dude, I will make those modifications. Minus the spring, which was based off a slightly different type of spring to get an easier bake (the real thing has much less coils which meant I couldn't bake it onto a cylinder). Your image 404s so I can't view it though :(

The rail on the scope. To be honest it's not perfect, the shape is over simplified. I knew that it wasn't quite right. I've had enough of doing it though, I got kinda stuck on this piece for totally stupid reasons. I may try getting it better but I had such issues with the proportions working so that it mounted the scope correctly but looked right. I don't think it will be too obvious if I leave it?
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh, handle looks much better! And yes, i commend you for going back each time post bake and fixing your hp, takes dedication. Good work! Overall, unless yea you wanna get real nitpicky, looks solid to me, and i'd say move on to dem textures!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    +1

Bake that beast and get some flats goin
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Baked and started some texturing. (And played around with presentation method :P)

3KhTX.jpg
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    Seems to be a lot of smoothing errors on the side of the body there... other than that looks pretty slick :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Using dDo? Bake OBJ space, convert with handplane to Unity tangent space for use in the 3Do previewer. You will get perfectly matching tangents, so no shading errors.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Not using ddo, those errors are from the low poly ao bake. I need to go back and fix it. EQ gave me some suggestions on how to do this (he promised me I probably wouldn't need to though lol).
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    If ANYONE tells you it's inaccurate to have the scope colored inside of the grey/metal mounting, Have a good laugh, Then beat them to a pulp with your bare fists, Proceed to use their corpse as a tripod for balance.

That scope area looks sick with that material combo

And...Fix the side of the body yada yadda. Formalities of a great piece. Gotta deal with all the potholes along the way ^^ Can't wait to see the texture develop.
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this is really looking good man, keep up the effort!
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice.
    The Color should be Flat Dark Earth.
    Yours is Tan. FDE is a bit darker and more saturated.

Despite the Scope looking nice in that color, its wrong.
    It´s black.

However. Have you though of camouflage?
    Brits use messy Snipertape on their gats.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    Looks nice.
    The Color should be Flat Dark Earth.
    Yours is Tan. FDE is a bit darker and more saturated.

Despite the Scope looking nice in that color, its wrong.
    It´s black.

However. Have you though of camouflage?
    Brits use messy Snipertape on their gats.
    Yeah I thought the colour was slightly off.

It's not wrong, the scope I modelled is this one. It might not be quite correct but I feel it's close enough. I see it's probably quite plausible that this scope would be used (and in this colour) and that not even the biggest military sim player is going to nitpick this. And it does look really nice in this colour combo.

3KIVC.jpg

See how similar this scope is to the black one? Very minor difference. As far as I can see, aesthetically it's mainly the adjustment knobs and colour.

3KJ8O.jpg

I have thought about doing the tape thing, it's something I might try later down the line to do a variation on this model. But right now I don't feel confident enough in my texturing abilities to pull it off.

@Stormfreek and S6 thanks man!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I personally also prefer the tan/black over just completely black.
    could be just a tad darker though, and maybe a slightly different hue for the scope and body of the gun.

I'd also make the outer glow larger, and then reduce the opacity by a lot so that's subtle, but that's just my personal preference.

anyway, looking forward to seeing the end result :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Hehe, that is alooot of triangles xD But it looks really good sofar! :) (and ditch that outline!)
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    COmplete black scope looks better imo...aint so messy but I really like your work so far ;)