Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Revolver "Ritchie" (Brink)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hello.

I wanted to show you my latest personal work. It´s the Revolver called "Ritchie" from the game Brink.

I think someone from PC made the original version (Earthquake?). Not sure who to credit for the design, but it´s not mine ; )

My version is not optimized for first person view. The barrel is actually a tube and the grip has some extra tris.

Anyway, here are some screens:

rlgi6rmv.jpg
gey8kpwb.jpg
tkvmq3vq.jpg
34l44psp.jpg
dcuvpwma.jpg
2hz4gq7i.jpg
pnjkdbg7.jpg

gtvf6wjk.jpg

Some high poly shots
qoxn2to3.jpg
h98ibcki.jpg
zyxizhos.jpg

Ok, now it´s your part. Tell me what you like and what you don´t like about it ;)
Fell free to crit and thanks for watching!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks really well, not much to critisize on it, some edges having a more intense wear on the texture would make it a little less uniform tho and could bring up some interest but doesn't need to.

I would like to see more interesting backgrounds tho. The high poly shots use a nice glow/gradient, while your final ones have only boring flat color. I would empathize the green tint of your texture and bring that back in a very decent circular gradient with the same tone.

3.PNG

Those two metal parts, the one below the trigger and that pullback thing on the right look very uniform and dont have a good metal definition. You see that darker part I circled ? Lightness changes like that totally sell metal, and I would recommend putting slight lightness variation in those 2 parts.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    I like it, my fav gun from Brink
    Id add more detail to the back of the drum since its something thats typically right in front of the player as they reload.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man nice work,

A few comments mostly on textures; I think the important thing is to make the damage believable, for example you have a saftey near the grip, when that rotates it might scrape the paint.
    Maybe some colour, or maybe some personal decorations look at the ingame one it has a shark smile on it ^^
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks guys.

Shrike, I tried different backgrounds and the glow thing like I have it on the high poly shots was the first think I tried. Unofrtunately, the gradients look really bad and I don´t know why. They are not smooth. I have an Eizo monitor and a Samsung TV as a 2nd, and it looks bad on both. So I went for a flat background. Have a look at the screens on my website, they are even bad without a glow. I don´t know why. Maybe carbonmade´s compression sucks.
    I`m not sure if I get what you say with the trigger part and the pullback. You think the texture is too flat?

warxsnake, yeah, that´s totally right. To be honest, I never intented it to be fps-optimized.

Kharn: damnit, I had a piece of paper with notes and one was to add circular scratches, but I lost overview of the project (could only work between other stuff I had to do). Yeah, that´s a poor excuse for beeing lazy, I know ^^. But you are right, thank you.
    And yep, I have the sharky version in mind and I thought about going crazy with decals. But I`m really in love with the bulky design and I wanted to keep it simple and do not turn the focus on decals/ intense textures. I prefered the normal version over the sharky one. But I guess that´s just me and you are right again.

Finally some people commenting on my work.
    Thank you guys.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    My favorite pistol. Looks good! Edge widths could be a bit more consistent though.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    There are many ways making a nice presentation , if you can texture, then you can do this. Just experiment a bit, its worth it. Gradients are just a very easy way to not just have a flat color, they work well , but you can do better.

5d30d3.jpg

The first one is a example for something decent, well its pretty obvious but you could tone it down a lot and it would still be something very different from a gradient and work. The second is really flashy, there are so many possibilities, and my examples are easily topped.

If you want excellence, you could even start with a identity to go along with your screen, like the name in a nice personal logo-like font, a stylized watermark and some 2D Design elements etc.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Wow, that´s indeed nice!

Ok, that makes me go back to it and try some BGs. Awesome.
    Thanks for coming back to this and giving me these ideas : )

edit: I want to avoid people think the actual gun might be shopped as well : /
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You can put a beauty shot with everything, and a normal one with another perspective to show that. What does it matter anyways ? All you can shop can you shop in the diffuse right away anyways or do with lights easily.
    Also you can write "No PP"