Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Brothel WIP

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
EDIT: most recent shot,
MD_BrothelWIP_01v2.jpg

Been making slow progress (blame Dark Souls, and XCOM:EU, and partially blame Borderlands 2) on my latest scene in CryEngine 3. I'm at a point now where I'd like to get some feedback on it from you lovely lot, since you all seem to know your stuff.

Here's the main ref I've been using. Sorry to whoever painted it, it was just sitting in my big fat inspiration folder so I don't know who to credit :p
BrothelRef.jpg

Here's the main room,
MD_BrothelWIP_01.jpg

MD_BrothelWIP_02.jpg

Some of the rooms,
MD_BrothelWIP_03.jpg

MD_BrothelWIP_04.jpg

MD_BrothelWIP_05.jpg

...aaaand a massive empty room at the back that I think I'll turn into a saloon or something.
MD_BrothelWIP_06.jpg

crit me!

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitchell Mohrhauser

That's who you are looking for with that concept :)

Crit wise: I think its too contrasty. I'd tone down the glow amount on the red lights, try using more of the environment probes to tie everthing more together and maybe use some fog or particle effect to add the dustiness to the scene.
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's very dark, which makes it a bit difficult to see some of the details.

The sheet on the bed looks very believable. The floor material's coming off well also, very similar to the reference.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Yes, lighten the scene and it'll look great! It made me do a double take, very nicely done.
  • Jetty218
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jetty218 polycounter lvl 5
    Could i suggest some potentual contrast within the scene as it looks very red but even so well done very nice work
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with everyone else on how dark it is. There are a lot of blacks. I really liked the dimly lit room in the concept, with the subtle green walls. The lack of contrast and saturation allows you to place more emphasis on the red lights in the other rooms.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the spotty lighting is a bit too perfect you need to blur it in places and overlay it on itself to naturalise it.

as everyone says the scene is a touch too dark you have alof of areas that are completely capped off black with no detail whatsoever... much better have at least a hint which in turn will give you more shape as you can have dark and even darker areas. still i would be carefull to try and keep the contrasted feeling

your red lights emmisives are not saturated enough compared the the actual light
    which brings me around to say that the red lighting is cool but its a touch too saturated in the ambient basically killing the range in the blue and green channels in most of the image. a subtle addition of light in those channels will allow the scene to look a bit more natural
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for all the crits, here's a quick revamp of the lighting, much easier on the eye, what do you guys think?
    MD_BrothelWIP_01v2.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, that painting on the wall has funky lighting applied to it. Makes it look like a triangle. Perhaps move the light to cast a gradient cone instead?