Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Soldier/ Resistance Soldier

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Azkur polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys so i was part of a team in the Escape Competition but unfortunately due to Studio work we were unable to Finnish it but i decided i would go ahead and Finnish the characters that i was doing for it.

Final Zbrush concept for the Alien:
alien2.jpg

alien1.jpg

Highres: (i might want to change some stuff on the helmet back to the original concept)

alien_highres.jpg

Gameres: (still improving here and there)

aliensoldier.jpg

So crits as comments are more than welcom and plz be honest or brutal as i rather improve my skills rather than my ego xD i hope you guys like it.

P.s.:

also working on the human Rebel:
resistance.jpg

Replies

• _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work, I love the concept....but I still think the blade feet should look more like a larger version of the hands. ;P
    Keep it up, looking forward to seeing that guy finished.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    oh man- cool designs- silhouette on the alien is nice. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys!

DeadPixel: thanks for the feedback but hand like feet would resemble more a simian than a reptilian which is more or less where the design is going, its a valid opinion though but its also late into the process to simply go back and remake it.
  • Stormie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought you were talking about that old Sega game and I was like,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    that alien is really cool, did you do the armour in zbrush, or just concept it in zbrush and retopo it, because it looks very clean and sharp
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice man, I like it a lot. Nice shapes on the alien, specially on the armor.

Have you used panel loops? Show us some wires :)
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Argh the alien is awesome man :D im loving the armour design in particular. Looking forward to seeing updates!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    thanks to everyone for the kind words i truly appreciate it! for those asking the entire model was designed in zbrush and retopoed after the fact, later in maya i adjusted the models to get something more complex and that i thought could technically work. i will be posting the wires later. once again thanks for the positive feedback and if you guys dont mind could you also point out what could be improved on the resistance soldier? thansk once again
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    the highres wires like you asked. i try keeping quads as much as i can but since it was hardsurface armor and it doesn't deform it was easier to add triangles and control some of the surface

wires.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    quick polypaint job and now i am going to figure out color schemes for the armor alien3.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    just messing with the textures still not sure exactly which direction i am going with the armor
    ALIEN4.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    could you talk a bit about the texture process..?
    i really like the design of this creature...
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Is looking good Azcur, nice wires.

I think you can work with some transition with the gloves/skin, since the armor has this abrupt ending.

I'm digging it :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Oglu: The texture of the body was totally poly painted but the armor was textured in photoshop, i am still working on both textures trying to get something better. Thanks :)

Cox: Thanks man, its a really good point i need to figure out what to do with it
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Update: Still messing around with textures in general trying to get better spec and gloss definition also working on the lighting. feedback is more than welcome.
    gameres2.jpg
  • pablohurtado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! This alien character is looking really cool. I noticed that from the previous version the metal looks a lot better, did you change the diffuse or is it because of the spec and gloss? Are you rendering this in a game engine or marmoset toolbag?

By the way I really like the speed sculpts on your site.
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you raytraced the render because that reflective dome is sweet! Anyways I think you could push the difference of materials between his skin and his armor suit a bit more. I believe it can be done by playing around the spec and glossiness of the two materials. But I think you'll working on it so I can;t wait for the final piece. Love, love the silhouette BTW :)
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Absolutely lovely! <3!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    The alien looks awesome, the only issue I could really spot was the arms maybe being a bit too noisy when viewed from a distance? Other than that wicked design :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys, really happy you guys like it i am still improving on all fronts trying to get to the best piece i can.

Pablohurtado: thanks man! I am still changing all maps but the greatest change is definitely the spec map where i started adding scratches and detail layers that really bring the details out. the lighting also made a lot of diference. its all marmoset. thanks man those sculpts are very outdated though mostly because i was busy with work and didnt update my folio but i will be updateing soon. thanks

VeejayZee: Thanks man, its not raytraced, i am using marmoset i just have a seperate material for that glass where i pushed the specular sharpness and fresnel. Yeah i am still changing as i go but i will take your feedback into account! thanks mate

RazorB: Thank you :)

Torch: thanks man, yeah totally agreed i had doubled the normal map on previous lighting settings because the light was very flat but once i changed the lighting the normal really popped out so i need to delete the double layer on the normals. thanks man i will update soon
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    This is really great stuff, marmoset renders are looking great, particularly the shiny helmet. How many tris is your game-res model?

For that human hipoly, it all looks pretty good, but I think his armor vest is too long. It should really only cover from a bit above the collar bones to maybe a few inches below the sternum. Also, it should be thicker and puffed out a bit as well (because of the plates).
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    the entire thing is 29k (i am aiming for next gen specs)

btw i forgot to post the back which i still have to work on:
    alien9.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you reupload images to other place? You site is down :)
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    it should be working
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    this looks amazing! not sure if this would look great, but for the suit. maybe cream white colour with mix of red, yellow or maybe both? or maybe cream and orange? I thought that would make it pop more, but idk if it'll be too much. The current armor colour has a close value range with the skin. That might be just me