Home Technical Talk

Shadows - Rendering problem in Unity Pro.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
Hi. I have a problem with rendering quality shadows in Unity Pro. Have a look:

2JPG_nhqwera.JPG

http://s4.ifotos.pl/img/2JPG_nhqwera.JPG

1JPG_nhqwerh.JPG

http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/1JPG_nhqwerh.JPG

And this is the point light. I have Deffered Lightning selected in Build Settings. In two other options, I don't get shadows with point light. What is this? I gave GeForce 7300 GT, so I have shader model 3.0, and also it's selected in graphics emulation. What's wrong?

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    you can adjust the quality settings for the shadows under Edit>Project Settings>Quality
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    I already have quality settings set to Fantastic, and set everything in there to max. And this is only with the point light. When I take the directional or this second light (I dont remember the name), I don't have any of this bugs. But for that scene I want point light, so....
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Point lights render shadow maps at a lower resolution (lower quality) because it has to do 6 of them (cubemap, basically).

What you've got is shadow acne; increase the bias option of the point light a bit.

One other thing to consider is that Unity will cull any options it your computer won't be able to handle, for example, very high resolution shadows (try changing it from normal to high to very high and see if there's a difference).
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Also, my experience with unity's dynamic shadow system is that it isn't well suited to being the primary lighting information. Perhaps if your game is all corridors but it has a very hard time with larger scenes.