Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unmanned Urban Railgun

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
Hey PC! Just finished up my latest personal project. It's an idea for a near-future unmanned robotic railgun. I based a lot of the design on existing tech and tried to push it a little further with materials and construction. Feedback welcome, even if it's just a better name for the damn thing :)

Railgun1_Web.jpg

Testing out Vimeo as well, so here's a 360 turn-around:

http://vimeo.com/64364874

Replies

• c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    There is a huge difference in geometry density between the gun and the vehicle. At least put some additional polys to the sides and treads of that wheels.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar wrote: »
    There is a huge difference in geometry density between the gun and the vehicle. At least put some additional polys to the sides and treads of that wheels.

Are you reacting to the silhouette of the side armor? If so I agree, that's something I struggled with in the early block-out phases. I played around with adding extra bits like smoke grenade launchers but they just didn't look right. I kept going back and forth on the tread too. The inside "nubs" I modeled into the low poly, but left the outside ones as baked detail because my triangle count was starting to get a bit high. In hindsight maybe I should have done the opposite.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I'm going to have to agree with dunbar on this. I'm wondering what exactly your wasting tri's on. There is a clear division of geometry density between the gun and rest of the vehicle. The 'baked' detail isn't translating, and personally I'd knock out a ton of tris on the gun and use those tris to add to the silhouette of the vehicle body and treads. Just my opinion though! Goodluck!
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can't get any extra geo to look good on the sides (although I'm sure with enough tinkering you'd figure something out) you could consider an insignia of the local military in this future world of yours? ust something to break up the large sides.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate the feedback!

I tweaked a few things today. Unfortunately I don't have the time to go modify the geo and re-bake, but I can tweak texture stuff for a bit before I move on to the next project. Does this look better?

RailgunMK2_1.jpg

RailgunMK2_2.jpg