Home General Discussion

Rendering images for a Portfolio question.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Hi.

I was wondering how people feel about folios that have renders that came straight from software such as Maya or max.

I know plenty of people use Marmoset, UDK, Cryengine, etc. I know they're fine, but is it just as acceptable to use renders out of Maya's new Directx 11 Shader or max's Xoliul shader?

cheers

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Of-course it is.

As long as it looks good sitting in your portfolio then use whatever you want. However you might get a quicker and better result using some of the other tools you've mentioned.

I'd say, use whatever gives you the best result and that shows your work in the best light/quality.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I don't know the answer to this, but I imagine that whatever REALTIME solution you want to use is fine -- just use whatever puts your work in the best light. Also, demonstrating familiarity with engines like Cryengine, Unity, and UDK can't hurt your chances.

Mostly though, I just commented to say that your portfolio link in your signature is broken. It points back to polycount/forum/yourportfolioaddress, instead of just your portfolio address.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    ysalex - Didn't realize that link was broken. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Nothin wrong with viewport shots

Software rendering a low poly model will usually look like ass especially if it's diffuse only so I'd avoid that
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    On the point - I've seen several quite senior artists with high-quality offline rendering work in their portfolios (VRay renders etc) it doesn't seem to be a detriment if you already have a bunch of good quality realtime work. I know I'm personally looking into doing some learning / doing some studies in VRay as it's great to learn about physically based rendering, and how to build materials/shaders for those kinds of PB systems (which are becoming increasingly more common in games).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    marks wrote: »
    On the point - I've seen several quite senior artists with high-quality offline rendering work in their portfolios (VRay renders etc) it doesn't seem to be a detriment if you already have a bunch of good quality realtime work. I know I'm personally looking into doing some learning / doing some studies in VRay as it's great to learn about physically based rendering, and how to build materials/shaders for those kinds of PB systems (which are becoming increasingly more common in games).

http://www.peperaart.com/ has some good example of high poly renders, but I wouldn't do much more than that.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ask yourself if there is a benefit to it.

There is nothing stopping you from just apply a basic, grey, white speced, real-time shader on your model, minus the rendering time taken, and post-processing in PS, like any other image out there.

If your model can survive the blemish of a real-time normal map on a shader, then it will survive everything else.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd think so, I've just been using maya viewport cos marsoset still havent updated their program so that it works properly windows 8... unless ive een living under a rock and they updated without me knowing :(