Home Technical Talk

Can't Select Geom Entity

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
I'm trying to place a Geom Entity that I created into the scene, then duplicate it and move it around. I can get it in the scene, but I can't select it. I can select the default Geom Entities just fine.

I'm working in Maya 2013. For exporting, I create a group called "cryexportnode_meshname", then inside that group, I have another called "meshname_group", and then the asset is in that group. Isn't this the correct way for meshes from Maya? I've also made sure it was a CGF before exporting. Could it be that the mesh is a flat plane?

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I use ctrl + t (select objects) to select what I need, it's happened a few times with me to. When your level grows your going to need to use ctrl + t anyway and if you have 2 screens just keep it open.

not using Maya btw so I can't help you with that.

:poly121:
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks repete. I can select and move objects with the ctrl t window. I guess I should get used to that then :)
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    I think it's a bug with the current build as you also can't select some geomentities like the lightbeam and similar stuff. After placing it into the scene you can't select it normally, and have to use the crtl+t command for example. So it's no problem with your model or export ;)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    definitely a bug and an intermittent one !
    SlyRipper wrote: »
    I think it's a bug with the current build as you also can't select some geomentities like the lightbeam and similar stuff. After placing it into the scene you can't select it normally, and have to use the crtl+t command for example. So it's no problem with your model or export ;)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper wrote: »

That's good news then, I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be another picky aspect of CryEngine. :poly121: Now that I know about ctrl+t, it's not that big of an issue anymore.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    What I always do is hold down the spacebar, you'll see everything in the scene pop up with these little boxes and text. Just highlight the boxes to select your object.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's so much easier! At least right now while my scene isn't that complex. Thanks Zepic!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This happens when there is no collision on the model generally or if you export a single plane if I recall. In max at least you can make every poly collision with one button or in max and maya with user defined properties you can type "box" and make a collision mesh with that too.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This happens when there is no collision on the model generally or if you export a single plane if I recall. In max at least you can make every poly collision with one button or in max and maya with user defined properties you can type "box" and make a collision mesh with that too.

So I could just extrude out the bottom faces so it's not a plane, and I'd be good? Right now, my floor panel is just a plane, but it's just for my portfolio, so I never added collision.