Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Renders 1 - Make Shift Playground

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
Greetings, I hope this is posted in the correct place. So I am creating weekly renders to see how I can improve my modeling skills, work flow, and time management. I will see where I am at within 6-months to a year. I got permission to base my first render off of this image by StudioQube. http://studioqube.deviantart.com/

playground_by_studioqube-d5r6kjz.jpg

The finished scene will be posted this Sunday when I will also announce the next scene. My process will be as such:

• Create Props
• Add Materials
• Add Details (dirt, broken parts, scratches, etc.)
• Arrange Props

I will post renders of each stage. I started off this scene with what I consider to be the main characters, the storage crates.

3d_storage_crates_by_thisdesignup-d61ughv.jpg

As this is a learning process for me I would hope to receive as much critique as possible.

Thank you for your time and I hope you will enjoy this as much as I do!

Replies

• jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render Week 1 - Complete (Un-textured)

So as the learning goes I added too much detail to the scene at first and ran out of time to add textures. The models are finished. In a couple of weeks I will spend a day revisiting the scene to add materials and texture. For now I am sticking to schedule and moving on to a new scene for next Sunday. This next scene will have fewer objects but just as much detail. That way I can focus on quality instead of quantity.

render_week_1___makeshift_playground__un_textured__by_thisdesignup-d62l5u5.jpg

Until next time! Stick around and don't miss out on next weeks render!

Next Weeks Theme: Stuffed Animals
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    It's good to set goals like this and push yourself toward a deadline. And hey, you can always put this into a folder and finish it later. Love the modeling and feel of this scene. Maybe post more progress shots along the way.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor wrote: »
    It's good to set goals like this and push yourself toward a deadline. And hey, you can always put this into a folder and finish it later. Love the modeling and feel of this scene. Maybe post more progress shots along the way.

Thanks, glad you liked it :) Yep, that's what I am hoping for, to learn how to streamline my modeling and know just how much detail to add so I can stick to a schedule. I do plan to come back to this and finish up the texturing. I don't like the thought of leaving it unfinished but I do need to stick to schedule and move onto a new scene for next week.

For sure going to post progress shots this time. I had planned to this week but I was crunched for time. Any suggestions on what to post as a shots? I can think of "finished" previews but is anyone interested in seeing wire frames and such?
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Looking good and a great scene to start you projects.

I can see there are differences in treatment to the shapes and this may be an area worth thinking more - are you replicating the scene or using it just for a base?

For example:

- The dent on the right crate should be across the side as well as the top.
    - The walkway supports on the left have a slight bend and change width giving them character.

Perhaps you prefer the rigid, neat and clean look but it's possible to match the concept. Take a look at Liam Tart's Beach Scene elsewhere on Polycount (also here: http://liamtart.com/?p=30) and you can see you can push your shapes more.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean to be rude and not reply to comments. I will be replying to any comments and suggestions Wednesday afternoon.

I am starting off this weeks render with a few concept sketches. The first one is from an earlier drawing that I decided to minimize and turn into a scene with a manageable amount of props. The concept sketches outlines what I want to do for the scene. There are less objects as I will be focusing on textures and details of each object instead of focusing on have to focus on just finishing the props. As I said before I want to focus on quality above quantity.

Check back later in the week for more previews. As always, final renders on Sunday!

weekly_render_2___stuffed_giraffe_concept_1_by_thisdesignup-d62r829.jpg

weekly_render_2___stuffed_giraffe_concept_2_by_thisdesignup-d62r6e0.jpg
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as usual the learning process took longer than I expected and I don't want to release the scene at the stage it is at. I got caught up on rigging this character to pose, as it was only my second time, and so I still need to finish up a few other objects in the scene.

I will be releasing the final render tomorrow instead. Here is a preview of what to expect.

weekly_render_2____preview__giraffe_by_thisdesignup-d63g4sv.jpg

Check back tomorrow for the final render. I will be back on schedule next Sunday for sure!
  • ThatGent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great, i'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one, the concept is stunning to start with.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatGent wrote: »
    This is looking great, i'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one, the concept is stunning to start with.

Thanks! Glad you liked it so far :)
    So I finished the scene! :D I have learned quiet a bit from this scene on how to model faster, a lot of short cuts. Getting textures right on the stuffed giraffe was a challenge and I still am not satisfied with how they turned out but I am done with the scene and need to move on. I am going to revisit fabric textures in the future. I could easily have spent a full week just on the texture of that giraffe.

Here is the scene!
    weekly_render_2___stuffed_giraffe_by_thisdesignup-d63kgho.jpg

Next Sundays Theme: Cardboard! Finally something I am familiar with :D
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! I finally, for the most part, finished this weeks scene on time! :D Though I feel the scene lacked this week on my exectuion of idea and the overall quality. But ya know at least I finished on time. I need to figure out a work flow so that I can give myself enough time to create the design and then have time to model it within the week. Unlike this week I had not fully sketched out the design, mostly off the top of my head. Anyways, enjoy!

weekly_render_3___cardboard_atmosphere_by_thisdesignup-d64ajjh.png

Check back for a new render every week! Next Sunday's Theme: Cardboard Tanks
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Preview for this Sunday's scene. What do you think? Bet you can't you guess all the objects this vehicle is made of! Still have a few details to add but take some guesses.

weekly_render_4___office_tanks_by_thisdesignup-d64mczq.jpg

Come back on Sunday to see the final scene!
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a couple weeks extra to work on a scene to give it portfolio quality. Posting this preview early because I won't be able to upload on Sunday. I still need to make the textures. The grid is just a place holder for UV mapping.

What do you guys think?
    week_7___paper_tanks__preview__by_thisdesignup-d66d053.jpg