Home Technical Talk

"New from Polypaint" texture option freezing Zbrush 4r4 (Mac)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

Trying to work through the XNormal workflow, which means I want a .OBJ with a real basic polypaint applied on UV tiles. When I try to apply the Polypaint, however, Zbrush freezes and I get the spinning beachball cursor of doom. My highest sub level is 1.4 million, but I've had the same results with the second-highest as well.

My steps:

Open Ztool > Edit > disable unwanted subtools > lowest subdiv. level > create UV map from UV tiles > highest subdiv. level > Create new texture from Polypaint

...and it freezes. Sometimes at the top it says something similar to "Creating new texture from polypaint" but it doesn't have a loading bar and nothing responds after that. I've tried to just bake from the regularly exported OBJ but XNormal doesn't find the polypaint that way, so I assume I need to do it this way.

Ever seen anything like this? Had similar issues? I'm going to try this on some other tools and see if I can get it to work.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've tried to just bake from the regularly exported OBJ but XNormal doesn't find the polypaint that way, so I assume I need to do it this way.
    XNormal can bake polypaint straight from a highpoly's OBJ, so you don't have to worry about giving it UVs. If you're not getting a result, you simply have something unchecked.

Make sure to export the obj from zbrush with polypaint/colorize turned on. In Xnormal make sure the high poly isnt set to ignore per-vertex color, and use the 'Bake Highpoly's Vertex Color' map type.
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I did eventually find out that "XNormal can bake polypaint" meant I had to do things completely different, which I figured out by doing all the things you mentioned. So problem solved!

...I would like to know why Zbrush wouldn't bake that polypaint to a texture, but I suppose that will just have to be one of the mysteries of the universe for now...