Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    How much is ea really in trouble?
  • slipsius
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This industry....crappers. It's nuts sometimes.

Goodluck to those laid off devs.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    This is getting far to frequent. What will we(as an industry) end up being in the long run?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    This is getting far to frequent. What will we(as an industry) end up being in the long run?
    Turning tricks around the corner? I'm trying to get into shape just incase, cougars don't like hairy beer bellies last I checked :(
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Yep our industry isn't crashing or anything.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the industry as a whole is doing well, it's the big corporations that are tanking. Indie groups are popping up everywhere and doing well.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but indie studios popping up everywhere isn't a sign of things going well. I know a lot of people who started indie studios to get into the mobile space only to realize you have to be one of the top 3 games to make any money.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Xelioth wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the industry as a whole is doing well, it's the big corporations that are tanking. Indie groups are popping up everywhere and doing well.

I'm under the impression that the vast majority of Indie groups do not do well at all, financially. I think a lot of people 'go Indie' when they get laid off and think that they may not be able to get another industry job any time soon. Then they fail to make any real money as an Indie, and things are pretty sucky for them.

I think overall the industry is doing terrible right now. Hopefully the new generation of consoles will get consumers more interested in games again, or the industry will find some other way to rationalize spending more money on development again. Currently the amount being spent on development is low, which results in lots of unemployed developers.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Turning tricks around the corner? I'm trying to get into shape just incase, cougars don't like hairy beer bellies last I checked :(

There's always Barber College. :poly142:

I haven't been in this industry for very long; I wonder if this is just a natural shift that happens when the new consoles get announced? For example, companies downsize and go into R&D mode to figure out their best plan of attack.
    I imagine with PC hardware sales dwindling and the shift over to tablets and phones, that has a big impact as well.
    I'm just worried that we might be in for a bad time, similar to what happened in the 80's when everybody tried to make a game for the Atari systems and too much shovelware was on the market causing a bloat of bad software thus turning consumers away. Also, how can anybody make money when your game gets lost in an endless sea of free games/apps.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's really shitty when it happens to you but as far as gaming hubs go, Montreal isn't too shabby and hopefully everyone gets the fairly generous EA severance package. If they offer the class to re-acclimate yourself to the job market, it costs EA about $2,000 per person so you can get some satisfaction over sticking it to them and I felt it actually had some useful information.

I know it's no comfort to anyone that got laid off but the Gamasutra salary surveys have shown a downward trend in layoffs over the years:

"Layoffs continue to trend slightly downward. 12% of respondents were laid off at some time in 2012, which is 1% lower than 2011's rate and 2% lower than 2010's rate. Overall, we've seen a 7% decrease in layoffs over the last three years."
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What... it's everyday news now? Damn dude...
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    EA are just evolving into "one button" game play, can't wait for that. Press "q" and the engine will play the game for you, so you can sit back with your popcorn and enjoy the cut scenes and dramatic almost the end of our hero part 12 sound track.

In fact the whole planet wants a one button solution to everything, no work, no thinking just push the button :poly122:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3FTEmN-eg"]The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize - YouTube[/ame]

Don't hold back :thumbup:
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    every other week there's a new round a layoffs. wtf!
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Im sorry to all those affected :(

Im trying to remain positive and chalk all of these up to growing pains, but its hard to see the silver lining in any of it. I know alot of start ups come from things like this, I wonder if there is anywhere documenting on those? I'd love to see new studio start up threads :|
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Xelioth wrote: »

No one is making any money anymore. Console and PC sales are continuing to drop quarter after quarter. Studios are closing down left and right. Games in general or becoming super high risk for publishers to invest in with astronomical development and marketing cost, which is only going to increase with the introduction with the new consoles. The new price for next gen games is $70, that is a lot of money in todays economy. So I don't see it getting any better.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Even with all these studios letting people go or just closing down, I'd like to think that if I keep working on my shit and create an awesome portfolio that eventually I'll get a job in the games industry, but the word 'eventually' kind of scares me because I don't want it to be five years from now.

The next couple years will be interesting for this industry. I'm really excited and just as nervous.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, don't sweat it, I still see people getting hired straight out of college. The 5 figure bonus days of the 90's are gone but it's still a viable career.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this just like back in '07. layoffs everywhere, also, it's the end of a console cycle... so that may have something to do with it. With companies figuring out what they want to do?

good luck to everyone affected.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea the "go indie" thing is pretty rediculous the way its thrown around here like a magical fix all bandaid. you guys realize how much money you need to actually do that........right? even if you are working out of your home the costs of rent/mortgage are going to be super painful when you have no income. pile on food, if you have kids all those expenses etc. I would think it pretty unfeasable to start your own little studio with anything less than say 150k to get you through the 1st year. which is why you need investors which itself is a huge undertaking and not something your average group of mid-senior level artist are familiar with doing.

I know a couple people that tried it and ended up 30-40g in debt, released a game for moblile and sold about 30 copies. super rough, an amazing acomplishment for sure actually releasing something which is a lot more than some startups do, but as a financial reality pretty bone crushing.

a lot of the time I think the people cheering for indie companies are people not in the game industry yet and are not fully aware of how complex and expensive game development is. or are hoping with more indie studios around they will be able to snag jr level jobs because indies can only affoard to pay a cheap salary. If I was ever to go indie......I would want a super tight team of super senior folks who know what they are doing efficiently.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like before the publishers took over we had a bunch of studios that started out small and then built up slowly over time. Then the publishers rode a wave of reckless bank/investor lending, to change how the industry did business and that model is falling on hard times.

Mostly I think because they got taken to the cleaners, they bought studio names, buildings and IP but didn't lock up the talent. The talent would often leave and start up something new leaving an empty husk for the publishers to try and harvest. The end result was a lot of expensive overhead and not much going on other than franchise management and would wait until too late to seek out something new. The people who made those franchises moved on and once the capital markets dried up and their stock prices evaporated they can't afford to innovate.

It seems more like the industry is reverting back to normality? In a very painful way. Well it actually seems worse than normal actually, the whole try to make money off of .99 app sales is insane and not going to lead anywhere meaningful for the vast majority who try to scrape by in those limited market places.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea it seems a bit cyclical. although I would expect it to be halfway through the next gen for the true leaders to emerge in this market in terms of small studios having a good success and getting up to medium/large size. and the proceeding to be bought by big publishers and itll happen all over again. Those are the kinda studios I would consider working at, somewhere that has released an awesome title (prefferably on consoles) and have secured financing to make a big budget AAA title. kinda like black tusk in vancouver (although they havent released anything yet, seems like MS is pumping money into them like crazy based on the talent there.) atleast witha studio like that if and when the layoffs come you will probably get a 10-30g (time to chill on a beach for a couple weeks!) severance package depending on how long you have been there.

with the super small studios you are lucky to get back pay for those mysterious perdiods where the money has run out and you keep working for 2 weeks based on promises that they just secured more money.......only to be laid off a week later with no severance and 3 weeks of pay owed lol.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I know a couple people that tried it and ended up 30-40g in debt, released a game for moblile and sold about 30 copies. super rough, an amazing acomplishment for sure actually releasing something which is a lot more than some startups do, but as a financial reality pretty bone crushing.

Sadly this exact thing has happened to a few friends who went this route as well. It is seriously rough, and you have to have a top game to make even a sliver of your money back. Your either part of the handful who make massive amounts of money or sell 100 copies and lose it all like everyone else. There is a giant gap in the mobile space.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sad news once again, Best of luck to everyone.

I am assuming slowly but surely would be the way to think of the future by now right.
    They should put up a warning or when hired get your plan B's and C's in order, you never know.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those affected, we're hiring for a lot of positions:
    http://www.bungie.net/en-us/AboutUs#!page=careers

Best of luck
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm hearing rumours EA have just laid-off 200 more employees at a studio today (ergo, likely the entire studio). Anyone know anything about it?
  • VelvetElvis
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm under the impression that the vast majority of Indie groups do not do well at all, financially. I think a lot of people 'go Indie' when they get laid off and think that they may not be able to get another industry job any time soon. Then they fail to make any real money as an Indie, and things are pretty sucky for them.

Can I ask how you're coming to this conclusion?

EDIT:

This is why you don't sell to EA unless you hate your employees. They did this to Popcap last year, flushed Popcap Dublin down the shitter; the whole studio.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, going indie is a big risk - just replace "go indie" with "start your own business" and it will put things into perspective.

From the 2012 Game Dev salary survey:
    "Despite the fact that indie devs are receiving more attention than ever before, the average indie still isn't very well-compensated; individual indie developers averaged $23,130 (down $420 from 2011), and members of indie teams averaged $19,487."

so you do it because you love it and you've got money saved up or some other way to support yourself.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, going indie is a big risk - just replace "go indie" with "start your own business" and it will put things into perspective.

From the 2012 Game Dev salary survey:
    "Despite the fact that indie devs are receiving more attention than ever before, the average indie still isn't very well-compensated; individual indie developers averaged $23,130 (down $420 from 2011), and members of indie teams averaged $19,487."

so you do it because you love it and you've got money saved up or some other way to support yourself.

daaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnn

I wish I made 19k a year. :c
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnn

I wish I made 19k a year. :c

:P yeah, guess I should have mentioned it's the average so the small handful of indie superstars probably skew the results.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P yeah, guess I should have mentioned it's the average so the small handful of indie superstars probably skew the results.

well, i also believe that as an owner, I believe in paying my employees more than me since my rewards are further down the line and I'd rather use my salary for more work.
  • Karmageddon
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how about high paying exec and management take lower more realistic salaries since they are the once who have KILLED EA and most the games/series they have bought. God i hate this economy/capitalist idea sometimes. Guys who sit at the top are almost untouchable
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ten...Percent.. Holy Crap.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seriously, whats the size of their workforce ? 10% can be 5000 people
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    their workforce is 9,000 if I am not mistaken.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's alot of people
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    nick2730 wrote: »
    how about high paying exec and management take lower more realistic salaries since they are the once who have KILLED EA and most the games/series they have bought. God i hate this economy/capitalist idea sometimes. Guys who sit at the top are almost untouchable

How much of a % in dev costs pays these morons at the top? EA, and most companies, need to start cutting at the top. But that is a pipe dream.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/15/news/economy/ceo-pay-worker/index.html
    CEO's earn on average 354 times more than the typical worker.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    how about high paying exec and management take lower more realistic salaries

but, but... it supposed to trickle down....

mz3KzPl.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13

That's corporatism. Not capitalism. We currently don't have a free market at all... It's controlled by a bunch of greedy assholes who have ties in the government who make laws that benefit them.

I completely agree with you though. It's a pain in the ass and I hate to see our industry suffer from these suits who come in and rip the soul right out of our development teams. All to make a few extra bucks, they were still making money but they just wanted more. Thats the trouble, they're willing to skrew hundreds of people over to get a few % more that they can report to the stockholders. It's a twisted system :(
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    booo, down with the system. Lets all go smoke weed, sing songs with a guitar and be productive idea givers of a better world. Just so long as we rant but sit back. (joking,..meanly, but joking :) )

yeah this EA thing is same old EA. those that make others rich suffer. The cycle will repeat. the process will continue. If you want to affect change, work for Independent devs.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is why i explain to my friends you gotta step on some heads on your way to the top and kinda just abandon your ethics if you want to make bank. I cant wait to put my bootheel on my roomates head if we are both working here at ubi on my upwards climb. no mercy. no surrender. cash rules everything around me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to affect change, work for Independent devs.

And don't buy stock.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    And don't buy stock.

lol thats another terribly twisted system :( Originally (in so much as I have researched it...) I believe the stock market was something closer to what kick starter is today.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    EAs nothing without employees. A rebellion is in order.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Clockwork.

Google any year from the past 10 years, with "EA Layoffs".
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    this is why i explain to my friends you gotta step on some heads on your way to the top and kinda just abandon your ethics if you want to make bank. I cant wait to put my bootheel on my roomates head if we are both working here at ubi on my upwards climb. no mercy. no surrender. cash rules everything around me.

Explain to me how fucking over their fellow man would have saved the hundreds spending today in their pyjamas.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Andreas wrote: »
    Explain to me how fucking over their fellow man would have saved the hundreds spending today in their pyjamas.

yup. Theres something seriously wrong with the way people do business if stepping on peoples toes is the way to get things done.