Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monster Odyssey

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Ninjin polycounter lvl 7
Hey there people of PolyCount! :)
I'm currently working as a environment artist for a coming game called Monster Odyssey. It's a multiplayer board game for PC where you play with friends, collect monsters and fight with each other. The game is being developed in Unity by a small team of people from all around the globe. I'm now creating this thread to get some feedback on my art seeing as I'm kind of new to the low poly art style with hand painted textures! :poly121:

I'll start by showing of some tileable textures!

Grass:
SO4M8W0.png

Mossy Stone:
2A1ZJ8p.png

Bark:
W5w3uIB.png

Roof Shingles:
FqeHRwA.png

Stucco:
qsNnRBt.png

And a few interior assets:

Cast Iron Stove:
yC2VvGF.jpg

Bed:
kLZ1iyv.png

All feedback is highly appreciated! :)

Replies

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good, I like the bark texture, nice style :D
  • Mr.Ninjin
    Offline / Send Message
    A new tileable sand texture for a small beach area:
    xgAuj8P.png
  • Xelioth
    I'm new to hand-painting as well, but I'm loving what you've got going here! Nice stylistic texturing. I'm digging it!

Only thing I would note is that the grass doesn't looks quite up to par with the rest of the textures. Not that it looks bad, but it doesn't look as good as the rest.
  • darkreaver
    to expand on xelioth's comment, i don't think the grass should be rendered with those distinct islands.. looks more like fuzzy rocks. I'd suggest making the texture more uniform , with less flat zones.

otherwise, looks great so far...very consistent stylistically, I think. love to see them in action, or in mockup =D
  • DWalker
    The grass texture might work for shrubberies, or over a dense wood.
  • Mr.Ninjin
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon wrote: »
    Looks really good, I like the bark texture, nice style :D

Thanks allot! :)
    Xelioth wrote: »
    I'm new to hand-painting as well, but I'm loving what you've got going here! Nice stylistic texturing. I'm digging it!

Only thing I would note is that the grass doesn't looks quite up to par with the rest of the textures. Not that it looks bad, but it doesn't look as good as the rest.

Yes, I will work more on that! Thanks!
    darkreaver wrote: »
    to expand on xelioth's comment, i don't think the grass should be rendered with those distinct islands.. looks more like fuzzy rocks. I'd suggest making the texture more uniform , with less flat zones.

otherwise, looks great so far...very consistent stylistically, I think. love to see them in action, or in mockup =D

Okay, I'll try to improve on the grass! It was harder to paint grass than I though it would be initially... :P
    I'm also currently working on a terrain in Unity which I plan on showing when I have some more textures and assets to use in it! ^^
    Stay tuned! ;)
    DWalker wrote: »
    The grass texture might work for shrubberies, or over a dense wood.

Good idea! I might keep this and ad a few leaves for the dense wood areas and make a new version for the flat grass plains... Thanks! :)

Also, here are a few rocks I modeled and textured today:
    wjh6VJR.jpg

Tanks for all the feedback so far! It's very appriciated! :3

Edit: I also uppdated the old rock texture and upped the detail level to match the new rocks!
    yl8cQux.png

Tell me what you think. Better before or after? :)
  • Mr.Ninjin
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! So I've poked around with the terrain and I've also made a new dirt texture (old one in the terrain screenshot)
    vKMASNM.jpg
    It needs a little more work, but I think it will look okay with better foilage and grass and a few post processing shaders! :)

Here is the dirt... I'm gonna work some more on it when I get the time too:
    1am6io4.png

Please tell me what you think and what I should improve! :)
  • teeth
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    Your rocks are very grid like. When I saw the flat texture I thought it would be for a walk way or some manmade structure. What keeps them from looking like natural rock face is that they are flat on the 'top', and that they are very evenly and cleanly spaced and separated. You might also want to put a few of those rocks that you modeled protruding from the cliff. I think that might help it from looking like a hill painted to look like rocks.
  • Mr.Ninjin
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth wrote: »
    Your rocks are very grid like. When I saw the flat texture I thought it would be for a walk way or some manmade structure. What keeps them from looking like natural rock face is that they are flat on the 'top', and that they are very evenly and cleanly spaced and separated. You might also want to put a few of those rocks that you modeled protruding from the cliff. I think that might help it from looking like a hill painted to look like rocks.

Thanks for your input! I'll see to the rock texture and try to make it look more natural and jaggedly! :)

I've been out of town taking care of a few errands for about a week, but now I'm back and I'll keep on updating the thread with my progress!

Edit:
    Oh, and I also made the area look a bit more foresty and improved the look on the path! :)
    6CENxPQ.jpg