Home Technical Talk

Unity mobile landscape

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Madio polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone! I'm working on a mobile game project and faced a problem creating big landscape (2x2 km) without using terrain(it's too laggy for mobiles) in Unity. I need to use a static mesh(maybe with LODs) and I decided to cut it in pieces to make it load partially. But my main problem is textures, I need to bake light and shadows and use as less resolution as possible to cover such a big square. What solution can be in my situation?

Here is my fragmented test mesh(bold lines are cuts):

landscrn01.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    The idea for just loading parts that are needed is the right way I guess, also works good for textures. You can simply bake them on the single mesh one and then cut it after you've assigned it and setup their uv's. After cutting everything should be kept in place so you have seperate meshes with one single texture used and spread over all parts.

another way would be to rethink about your terrain. make seperate ones and load another one when you cross a house, or a canyon to hide the seperated terrain for user's eye. or you make it visible and use portal-like system.

Haven't looked up mobile development so far, so there might be better or different solutions for large terrains. have you searched through the official unity forums?