Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

H&K 11

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
KMNettelbladt polycounter lvl 8
I am making this machinegun for a fps project. I picked out the hk11 to work on at random. unfortunately it seems to be pretty obscure wich is interesting of course, but it's a pain to find good reference for it.

hk113.jpg

hk115.jpg

hk112.jpg

hk114.jpg

I'm still a bit confused about some things, like how the sights are fastened, what the little box thing on the right side of the barrel is for. Or if it could look better with a beta-mag instead of a drum one. And I am allso thinking of changing the sights design to something else.
there is of cause a lot of details to work on before I move on to the lowpoly.

Replies

• Clos323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man you got a good start. unfortunately I'm not a gun expert so i cant help with the details you where inquiring about, but the model it self is reading really well. good job and good luck with that reference.. on a side note: its always best to gather as much reference as possible and studying it before you start modeling process, it will save you time down the road.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done so far. You have many smoothing errors, and please keep in mind that many pictures show clones and not original HK21/HK11. I worked myself on the HK21, which is a slightly different version of the HK11. I can upload my reference folder somewhere if you want.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Clos323 - Thank you, Yes I think you might be right, I should have done more research before I started.

@Colditz - Thank you. Yes I have taken a lot of liberty when interpreting the original model, and have had to piece a lot together from diffrent versions.
    If you could share some of your references it would be very helpful thank you.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I believe I am done with the Highpoly now, and have proceeded with, and probably finished the lowpoly.

screen2pis.jpg

screen1td.jpg

The lowpoly is still in need of some serious optimization. Currently reaching about 15000 polys. I am a bit afraid of removing geometry from the cylinders, like the barrel wich probably have a pretty excessive amount.

screen3rnp.jpg

screen4my.jpg
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work! High-poly looks good. The low-poly could of course, as you said, use heavy optimization. I think 10.000 triangles is a good mark to try and hit. Also, I really think you should use another background for your images than solid black, it makes everything hard to see.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well no, 15k is totally fine. If you model for a FPS, then you delete all the faces you can not see in first person (aka the right side)

Also , current shooters go up to 11k and more, and we are 2013 now, nothing holds you to standards from a few years ago. The weapon is the most important mesh in your scene all the time. Dont be to greedy on polycount.

The box thing looks like a alu-cooler for a weakspot in design which gets too hot.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, now I don't know what to believe. But thank you guys, I will keep optimizing it anyhow. And thank you Shrike, I thought the box was a cooler, but still, could it really help cooling the entire barrel?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Im not sure if it is one, but if, then the barrel has a weak spot there where it is, and thats probably why its there , it sure dosnt help cool the whole thing, but maybe that place was critical.

Well all current FPS have a first person model and a third person model.
    Third is maybe 3k or something, dunno, and the first goes from 10k-12k i guess.
    BF4 will proabably go up to 13-14k I think, and current COD has 12k probably, im not sure, nothing on the internet
    about. I once read that UT3 weapons did go up to 11k in First person, but cant really imagine that. So no idea.
    Its not like 2k polys more or less matter in your scene when its spent on the most important object.

But in the first person meshes, all the geometry you wont see in all of its animations is deleted, which is easily around 25% of your whole mesh

Maybe we should ask the guy from the Farcry 3 thread ; )
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Shrike wrote: »
    Im not sure if it is one, but if, then the barrel has a weak spot there where it is, and thats probably why its there , it sure dosnt help cool the whole thing, but maybe that place was critical.

Well all current FPS have a first person model and a third person model.
    Third is maybe 3k or something, dunno, and the first goes from 10k-12k i guess.
    BF4 will proabably go up to 13-14k I think, and current COD has 12k probably, im not sure, nothing on the internet
    about. I once read that UT3 weapons did go up to 11k in First person, but cant really imagine that. So no idea.
    Its not like 2k polys more or less matter in your scene when its spent on the most important object.

But in the first person meshes, all the geometry you wont see in all of its animations is deleted, which is easily around 25% of your whole mesh

Maybe we should ask the guy from the Farcry 3 thread ; )

I learned that when you are dealing with baked normals you cant delete the other side because that would change the normals of the lowpoly and then you will no longer have synced normals between the lowpoly and the normalmap.