Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - 10k Velociraptor

Valtyr
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Valtyr polycounter lvl 11
Hello Everyone!

So, details! This raptor is my first asset to go through an almost full pipeline. It is my first using zbrush to such a large extent. So naturally I'm roughing through a work process. The beast is still kinda on its way to the finish line, and is missing a few odds and ends. mouth, teeth, tongue. With those additions it will be sitting at 10,000 tris, without it is at 8740. The mouth was a last minute addition after the sculpt and low poly were done. So it's been interesting getting it in there. I still need to sculpt the teeth and tongue, and texture all three of the inside parts. After I get it all done I'm going to finish the rig I started and get it animated.

So things I think I could do better!
The spec and gloss maps! I Need to learn how to paint/use spec maps and gloss maps to greater effect. I feel I can portray the materials (dirty/clean, rough/smooth) much more strongly than they currently are, but I'm not sure how to do that as of now.

The poly distributing is ok. I think I could move some polys from places to a new home that would add support to the silhouette like the teeth, and pelvic bone, without that much of a negative effect on the deformation

I could probably pick up some more reference pictures and get some more interesting first and second reads on the normal maps. As well as maybe a camo pattern like a monitor lizard or something.

So here are my in progress images out of maya and Marmoset.

Maya; Base mesh - Low poly - Unwrap
Zbrush; High poly sculpt - Diffuse - Ambient occlusion - Normal - Displacement
Photoshop; Map compilation - Specular
Marmoset; Render

Raptor_LowPoly.jpg

raptor_marm_s_march2013.jpg

raptor_marm_sw_march2013.jpg

raptor_maps_march2013_thumb.jpg

raptor_marm_pb_march2013.jpg

raptor_marm_head_p_march2013.jpg

raptor_marm_head_pbt_march2013.jpg

raptor_marm_pf_march2013.jpg

Thanks for reading! Please If you have any crits or comments you are most welcome to be vocal... or textual?