Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1940s Subway Environment Progress Thread

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Quickel polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on making a new environment piece in UDK and while my progress on it might be slow I would like to get more feedback along the way as I'm working on it.

First I have a few reference images and the blockout in MAX viewport with some very crude lighting placement. It's a bit darker than I want it to be in the final. I want this to be a modular environment as much as possible so I have been laying it out in MAX first to make sure things are lining up okay.

As a blockout it's missing a lot of details and textures of course. All of the color is being driven from vertex color so that way when I bring it into UDK I can have a more accurate representation of the final as opposed to just a gray blockout.

ref_sheet.jpg

staion_blockout.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    The platforms seem very shallow - I'd expect greater vertical separation between the track bed and the platform. The station overall seems scaled-down - narrow platforms, low ceiling, etc.

cta4000s%40subway.jpg

The tracks seem more like traditional rail tracks than those for a subway. Most of the ties were little wider than the tracks. There was often a channel between the tracks (at least in NYC) starting in the late '20s.
    erj19290229-206a.jpg
  • Quickel
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to find a happy medium with the tracks for navigation. In the Arkham city reference there is actually no recess for the tracks and in the image on my upper right it's a bit more of the shallow. Perhaps I should make them deeper just to create more depth overall.
  • djgardner
    Do you plan on doing the final renders in Max, or will you import this to an engine?
  • Quickel
    Offline / Send Message
    No the final will be in UDK. I just did the blockout in MAX and wanted to get an idea of what people thought of the concept.
  • Mark Dygert
    Cool stuff I'm glad to see that you dug up some great reference.

I like the work that you've put in so far, good models, good colors, decent lighting and composition, all good things, nice work.

I agree that the platforms seem low and things seem really close together. With levels in games you have to worry about players navigating around and right now there doesn't seem to be much room for that. Often you need to build things even wider so two players can fit past each other. Right now it looks like there isn't much room to safely navigate around and not get caught on things.
  • troystephens
    I don't know if its the view but the clocks seem a little 2D other than that it looks pretty cool.