Home Technical Talk

Mental Ray, alpha cutoff problem.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
Hi! I need your help guys: Software that I use is 3D Max, and Mental Ray. And here's the problem.

ljpg_xqaarxa.jpg

You see that half transparent on the grass? In Unity this looks fine, there is no half transparent cutoff. I have diffuse saved as .tga 32 bit, and there is also alpha channel in that diffues. Also I have seperate .tga file, black and white image, connected to opacity slot in Material Editor.

What is wrong? If you need any settings from Material Editor, please let me know.

Sorry for english.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have had a similar issue in Maya and it was caused by the specular. You need to have a spec map plugged in that is black where the transparency takes place or turn off specularity completely. For some reason Mental Ray will put highlights on completely invisible planes unless you tell it not to.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Bardler, it's doesnt work. I add the spec map as gradient with 3 dark colors ( in Spec level and color slot) and it's just make same glitch on plane's. I just change my renderer to VRay. And those half transparent things just deasapered. This is okay. So thanks to you to say something about Mental Ray, because I though it's something wrong with my materials. But know I have problem with lightning. But I will fix that (propably) by myself :)

Thanks.
  • Blubberblase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blubberblase polycounter lvl 7
    i have had the same problem, but changing the view to realistic fixed it for me, also have you changed your mono channel output to alpha and your rgb channel output to alpha as grey? (both are in your bitmap options)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Blubberblase, I have these settings.

This is how it looks: render and settings:

Render
    scenarosl_xqqphra.jpg

Settings:
    General Diffuse Alpha
    1JPG_xqqphxx.JPG 2JPG_xqqphxn.JPG 3JPG_xqqphxw.JPG

So, this is it. And you have right Blubberblase, when I'm changing the view, this can't be seen. On my scene I'll be more and more objects, so it's shouldnt be seen. Now I have to work on the shape of that path grass.

But I have last question (propably last :) ):

Can I turn on the transparency in Viewport? Because I have now just plane's, and I've seen few times that can be turn on. I have chcecked in viewport settings: transparency: best, but nothing happened. Is that depend on my hardware? Because I have very low spec PC: i suppose that depend of the graphic card, so I have GF 5200 LE, it's system shader 2.0/

Sorry for PRO english.
  • Blubberblase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blubberblase polycounter lvl 7
    as far as i know viewport transparency only works with a seperate alpha texture, at least that always works for me
    edit: never mind, i should have looked at your pictures first since you have those textures just ignore what i wrote