Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio Review] J0NNYquid

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, so I just recently finished up my most recent piece, kind of the kick-off to me replacing all the old stuff I did in college. As of right now I'm looking for critique on the layout and functionality of the website, as the work will all be replaced within the year (hopefully). Everything except for the recently completed Sci-Fi Hallway is on the chopping block, so if there is critique for the work I'll only implement it on the hallway, otherwise everything else must go!

Here's the site: http://camraab3d.com/index.htm

Let me know what you think. I want to have the previews take you to a separate page for each piece, so you can view them larger than in the little lightbox.

Replies

• IgorK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JONNYquid, you portfolio looks very nice! Simple and clean.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, I do like the layout of the site - simple without being plain.

I would prefer separate pages for each project, however, and a bit of text on each.

The wireframe on the Hades station project is extremely hard to see. On first viewing, I thought there was a weird spiderweb around the flashlight. Most of the remaining lines are very difficult to see.

I'm supposing that the bucket and flashlight are floating in freefall, but for some reason the scene just doesn't imply zero gravity to me. Maybe additional floating clutter would help, or it might just be hard to do with static objects in a still image. Their placement right next to the walls might also break the illusion.

Most of the projects could use some additional images.

I prefer an html resume over a pdf version - it loads more quickly and is less likely to cause problems, and you can easily create an identical version using html. A downloadable pdf is certainly fine, although you might want to include a link to a plain-text format as well - some HR departments prefer plain-text.

In your experience, the second entry seems out-of-order; it starts a year after the first entry.

You might want to include an "About" page. I personally hate talking about myself, but some companies like it...
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker All very valid points. The wireframe could use some work, and it wouldn't be too difficult to add some extra clutter to the scene, hopefully that makes it more obvious that this is zero-g.

I've toyed with an HTML resume for a while now, I'll look to do that ASAP, and good catch on the experience being out of order, I totally missed that.

Yes, I hate talking about myself as well, maybe just a quick sentence or two lol.

Thanks for your critique!
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm switching up how I show off my assets, you can see the old way currently on my website www.camraab3d.com here's the direction I'm taking it right now.

8664189302_64c20f8d4d_b.jpg
    PortfolioRoughDraft by camraab, on Flickr

Also swapped out the lightbox slideshow for dedicated pages for each piece.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Accidental double post.