Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hybris, Game Screenshots (Alpha Version)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
AgelosAp polycounter
So this is the game I 'm currently working on.
I 'm the one doing all the 3d models together with some of the texturing and level design.
We are "Monsters", an indie team of 7 people total, and a few months in the development.

I 'm hoping to get some critiques from all you talented and tasteful people
so we can establish the direction we will follow from now on.

http://monstersarehere.com/en/games/hybris

38410396.jpg
63114503.jpg

forestlogog.jpg

43332931.jpg

38410396.jpg

Replies

• proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    3rd shot looks by far the best and stands out amoung them i would aim to push the lighting to the same quality in the other scenes
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, but the light color in the dawn/sunset shots seems a bit odd. I'd expect more orange/red when the sun is that close to the horizon, and on the undersides of the clouds closer to the sun. God rays are also a strong possibility, especially in the first image.

suffolk-savanna-sunset.jpg

The lens flare in the first image is quite distracting, and your REALLY should consider removing them from the engine. Their time has come and gone, except for movies by J.J. Abrams...

You also seem to have a secondary light source, most notably in the second image. The rear walls facing directly away from the sun seem more brightly lit than the walls perpendicular to it, and the roof sloping away from the sun seems fully lit. I'd expect most objects not facing towards the sun to be almost completely black given the sun's brightness in the scene.
  • zymn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I'm very intrigued. Any chance of getting a gameplay video up soon?
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! I agree, the third screen looks totally rad; the first two are totally unreadable. (The fifth image link is broken for me.) I couldn't even tell there was a character in the first two until I scrolled down and saw the other screens with the character. Even then it took a few seconds of searching to pick the character out in the first two shots. The character definitely needs to stand out more from the background. Also I'll second DWalker in pointing out that the lighting on a lot of the objects conflicts with the sun position.

Also, the third shot has a lot of nice foliage breaking up the silhouette of the terrain; the first two shots have flat terrain with a really grassy texture but a lot less foliage so they don't look as nice. Ideally, if you have a visible terrain silhouette that is supposed to be grassy, try to throw some grass models along the edge so it's not just a flat line.

Finally my most nitpicky feedback: I think the logo would look nicer if the ends of the 'Y' didn't extend quite so far. Particularly when you're using it on promotional images and such, it looks weird for it to be cut off by the edge of the image.

Overall this looks really interesting and I'd love to see more!
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Thank you all very much for your feedback!
    There will be gameplay videos soon.
    I see what you mean with the secondary light sources, we are entering the polishing stage for the graphics just now, so a lot of changes to come and you helped us a lot.