Home General Discussion

odd terminology in game art circles

cw
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
cw polycounter lvl 17
Hey folks!

I was just thinking today about some of the things you can hear in game dev offices which you don't hear in other places. It got me then thinking about how much clarity we have in nomenclature of technical terms, types of texture map, types of model, different parts of workflows etc. Or how varied it can be.

The sort of thing I mean is like cavity map, curvature map, crevice map, depth map - I have heard all these terms applied to different sorts of processed normal map texture used to add normal map related information to diffuse and specular textures for example.

Similarly I've heard cubemap, fresnel, reflection all referring to the cubemap environment reflection layer in a realtime shader.

Anyone got any corkers or particularly odd/specific naming convention or terminology in their workflow?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    where i say cavity map, another co-worker will say edge highlight map.. which makes a bit more sense to be honest. and another co-worker would say "casting" where i would say "baking"
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Some of those are different. Like cubemap, fresnel and reflection - they all mean different things but you can use them when talking about reflection-y stuff. Fresnel is the reflection falloff as a surface more towards the camera. Cubemap is the actual reflection image.

Flow map and tangent map don't seem to have standard names yet.

I've found that artists who use different terms from 'standard' are often the guys who've been doing it since before there was an accepted word for it.
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The term my team called "edging" means painting in edge details on metals to make it pop, while a studio head of ours use the same term that means putting loops on the edges of the model.

Baking and Generating maps were used sparingly with confusing results.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    dumb nonstandard shit i have heard clients say:

"normal map ripping" (in reference to baking)
    "polish maps" (in reference to gloss maps)

some more i cant remember
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Ripping a model" - Unwrapping it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Oniram wrote: »
    where i say cavity map, another co-worker will say edge highlight map.. which makes a bit more sense to be honest. and another co-worker would say "casting" where i would say "baking"

wait... what? why would they call it edge highlighting. a cavity map is just that, it darkens all of the cavities of a map.

if you're refering to the grayscale map that you would get from something like say... crazybump, with the really crisp highlighted edges, then that's not a cavity map at all, and actually you can get that map from the diffuse, specular, cavity, and occlusion map outputs within crazybump if you use the right settings.

this, to me, is a cavity map:
    texCavity.jpg

it's almost entirely white, with the cavities darkened. this would allow you to multiply it over a texture and have just the cavities affected.

anyway, dumb terminology wise:
    Unity, telling me that Glossiness = specularity, and Specularity = Glossiness.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ew Gir, does that guy have facial herpes? Symmetrical facial herpes?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dunno, not my character. i got it from here: http://www.vitamin3d.com/EgyptWarlord/egyptexs.html

looks like metal studs or something?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    @ Gir

I think most artists would just call that ambient occlusion because dark areas arent neccesarily cavities, they can just be shadows from objects close to one another.

For example, imagine you had a model of a brick well with the inside modelled out, it would be dark inside but you wouldnt want to use that black as a mask for brick cavity dirt, it just happens to be dark in there.
    and actually you can get that map from the diffuse, specular, cavity, and occlusion map outputs within crazybump if you use the right settings.

You can also just grab it from the normal map in Photoshop in about 2 seconds. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i dunno man, he's got a very different map for AO on his site.

the difference here, is that AO is a global shadowing technique, and cavity would (like i said) be mostly white, with darkened cavities.

here's a better example. one of polycounts own, Joseph March provided me with his AO map and Normalmap. i used a super top secret program which is currently in closed beta to generate a cavity map.

you can very clearly see the difference here:
    AO
    AVSiUu.jpg

Cavity
    xelZMV.jpg
  • vik
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    "moving hold" in reference to idle animations
    "inbetweens" in reference to transition animations

my mind was blown both times and I had to pause for a second
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I certainly hope you're joking. :poly124:
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    "Stack map" which is a texture where the R is something, G something else, B something else, and A something else. I'm sure there is a ton of other terms for this.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The ones I hate the most because they're different for Max Maya and Programmers (who usually rely on Physics terminology), and engines.

- Gloss Map / Specular Exponent Map/ Specular Power Map / Polish Map
    - Cube Map / Reflection Map / Environment Map (And often confused with Reflection MASK)
    - Normal Map / Bump Map / Normal Bump
    - Diffuse Map / Color Map / Diffuse Reflection

Then there's arguments over the differences in Ambient Occlusion Bakes, and Skylight Bakes.

The other thing I hate is how we use the term HDR in games to mean what is actually considered to be a LOW dynamic Range.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    @almighty_gir Typically cavity maps, as far as i know, are mostly 50% grey, giving you lightened areas for the peaks and darker areas for he valleys, i.e.

cavityex.jpg

Gives you a lot more control, not sure if that's the case for everyone, would be curious to know?

But as far as odd terminology I haven't heard anything too weird, just the standards, diffuse vs colour, env map vs cubemap.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think that's called a Curvature Map.

The Cavity is just the white with the Back lines, and the Edge Map is Black with White lines.

(Both derived from the Curvature map.. playing with Levels).
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    As a Maya user I get kind of annoyed when Max users talk about smoothing groups, since it is a poor abstract for vertex normals (not that hard and soft edges are great either).
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I think that's called a Curvature Map.

The Cavity is just the white with the Back lines, and the Edge Map is Black with White lines.

(Both derived from the Curvature map.. playing with Levels).

Huh, I did not know that, interesting.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    hdr-in-photography-vs-hdr-in-video-games.jpg

This shit right here.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    The ones I hate the most because they're different for Max Maya and Programmers (who usually rely on Physics terminology), and engines.

- Gloss Map / Specular Exponent Map/ Specular Power Map / Polish Map
    - Cube Map / Reflection Map / Environment Map (And often confused with Reflection MASK)
    - Normal Map / Bump Map / Normal Bump
    - Diffuse Map / Color Map / Diffuse Reflection

Then there's arguments over the differences in Ambient Occlusion Bakes, and Skylight Bakes.

The other thing I hate is how we use the term HDR in games to mean what is actually considered to be a LOW dynamic Range.

+1 for that - I definitely think there is a disconnect between different eras of game development, and between the disciplines.

A great one I often get from outside the art team - folks refer to different skins as if we are in the Q3 days, especially with regard to just knocking one up quickly ;-)
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What are people talking about when they say HDR to describe games?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Fingus wrote: »
    This shit right here.

The computer games one is correct and match the way your eyes see. HDR photos do not have a high dynamic range. They have the same range as any other photo. HDR games have more data and display it dynamically based on camera position in the world.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    What are people talking about when they say HDR to describe games?

Honestly?

A hackimamied simulation of human pupil response.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Honestly?

A hackimamied simulation of human pupil response.

Not really, what you're thinking of is tone mapping.

HDR is simply high dynamic range. You can have HDR images, you can have HDR rendering, it really only refers to your bit depth. An HDR image will have 16 or 32 bits per channel, while an LDR image has 8. HDR files allow you to store much more information in your images without clipping shadows or highlights.

HDR is not tone mapping, tone mapping is something you do to compress HDR source content to a LDR 8 bit per channel display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping

Ironically enough, someone attempting to explain HDR confuses it with tone mapping, seems perfect for this thread.

Heres a real world example: Marmoset toolbag uses HDR images to store the sky lighting content. This allows you to make drastic changes to the exposure without introducing nasty banding artifacts, it also allows you to have certain content (ie: the sun) much, much brighter than a LDR format would give you. This has nothing to do with tone mapping though.

Generally, when your entire rendering pipeline is in HDR, you have to tone-map it(ie compress the details from 16/32bpc down to 8 )to display it on standard 8 bit monitors.

Now, the auto-tone-map stuff you see in certain games, that is trying to simulate the human pupil response. IE: dynamically altering the tone mapping to account for dramatic changes in light levels.
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1m_wr2198PJcWRUt2eue1xUuI3576RiTObC9rMuiJBHQUcESPMg HDR in photography.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    great explanation EQ!
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iphones have HDR as well!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have heard people refer to a texture as a "skin." That really bothers me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyx702 wrote: »
    i have heard people refer to a texture as a "skin." That really bothers me.

This goes wayyy back to the days of quake1 replacement textures being called "skins" and the act of creating them "skinning".
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    4 different companies I worked for would call:

rough model = Proxy = whiteboxing = blockout
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I must be one cool cucumber, none of this stuff bothers me.

also, SKINS 4 LIFE
    Y2btn.gif
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    mostly it really bothers me when people use Unreal terminology when working in proprietary engines or even a standard 3d package. It oozes a understanding based solely on Unreal, which is not really realistically relevant to most other engines. YO ADD A LIGHT FUNCTION DAWG.

I am guilty of this on occasion but eh Ive gotten better as the months go on.
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    anyone heard turntables called "animatics?"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    EricHall wrote: »
    anyone heard turntables called "animatics?"

nope - Animatics are super rough animation mock ups
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Ones that have really driven me bonkers are:

1) Calling 3d animation "anime"
    2) Referring to texturing as "texturizing"
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Skin to me as a character texture makes sense. Mostly from the old quake days. The character was flat shaded until you gave him a "skin." Skin as vertex binding to bones is kind of weird. I prefer Binding like Maya uses. Maybe it's because I'm old and set in my ways.

So settle this for me....

Is LODs pronouced "Lods" or "El Oh Dees"?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    texture = skin always made sense to me too, i used to think of it like this:

you have a skeleton,
    the mesh is its muscles that define its form,
    you put a skin on top of it to define its appearance.

that doesn't mean i don't think it's the wrong term to use, but it still made sense.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    yeah I'm down with skin meaning a texture - less so with slightly naive requests for 'a new skin' which actually means a whole new model etc. :)

lod - I have always said lodd, but I sometimes inadvertently slip into el-oh-dee territory if I speak with someone who says it that way. ;-) same with zed-brush zee-brush.

playblast was a new one to me in the last 18 months too, not having used maya before. great word! not completely descriptive, but awesome sounding nonetheless!
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10

What the.. 'Moving Hold' meaning idle animations? :D

I've heard people call transition animations 'inbetweens' though. A bit weird, but I guess you could see where they're coming from in this case. The animation inbetween animation A and B.

But calling an idle animation a 'moving hold' is a bit of a reach really...
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    MiAlx wrote: »
    What the.. 'Moving Hold' meaning idle animations? :D

I've heard people call transition animations 'inbetweens' though. A bit weird, but I guess you could see where they're coming from in this case. The animation inbetween animation A and B.

But calling an idle animation a 'moving hold' is a bit of a reach really...

Agreed. This is in the scope of video game animations yes? I don't even know how someone could think to use those phrases. They don't mean the same thing at all. Technically an inbetween are the frames 'inbetween' key frames. Game cycles don't necessarily even have key frames if we are using the same definition of key frame as in traditional animation. Moving holds and inbetweens don't even happen in video games(aside from cinematics), they're pretty much cinematic animation terms.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    We have TAs and TDs in the company which both do similar tasks, but our TD for the game dev department is actually the boss of all the programmers and he has nothing to do with tech art. I'm not quite sure why TAs in film are called TDs. There's TDs for all kinds of tasks like rigging or lighting but when I do this I never feel like I'm directing anything :/
    monster wrote: »
    depends on the time of the day... but El Oh Dee seems more appropriate since it's an acronym. At least this way I can still be angry at the folks who call SQL "sequel".
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man if I hear a programmer say quantize one.....more....TIME
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    So settle this for me....
    "Lods"

The real debate is are decals pronounced
    "day-cals"
    "dee-cals"
    or if you insist on being really wrong "deccles"
    ?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    4 different companies I worked for would call:

rough model = Proxy = whiteboxing = blockout

Proxies are completely different to whiteboxing/blockouts. So they were wrong there. Proxies are usually done AFTER the finished assets are completed, not before.
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gir, you broke the forums, i cant load it, and i'm on a 400mbps connection ._.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Agreed. This is in the scope of video game animations yes? I don't even know how someone could think to use those phrases. They don't mean the same thing at all. Technically an inbetween are the frames 'inbetween' key frames. Game cycles don't necessarily even have key frames if we are using the same definition of key frame as in traditional animation. Moving holds and inbetweens don't even happen in video games(aside from cinematics), they're pretty much cinematic animation terms.

There's no reason why you can't have moving holds in any animation. Animation without moving holds looks significantly different in any sequence whether it's a reload, idle, jump, or a walk animation.