Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Tower of Moria - lonelysquare

lonelysquare
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lonelysquare polycounter lvl 7
Recently unemployed, this test comes at a perfect time! Going to try get something done.

I'm a Lord of the Rings fan, and I've always had a soft spot for Moria / anything dwarf related. I loved the fact that the fellowships only escape from the Watcher in the Water was to descend into the mine/tomb of Moria.

john_howe_-_watcher_in_the_water-sms-1108.jpg

I'd like to try to recreate that, with some changes. Was thinking of a Tower of Moria, within which stairs descend into the Mines. Maybe in the middle of a lake, with a bridge to the tower. The Watcher's tentacles shooting out everywhere, wrapping around the bridge and the tower. Hundreds of years after the first attack on the Fellowship, the Watcher has grown in size and terror, devouring anyone traveling across the Misty Mountains.

Let me know what you think. Bad Idea. Good Idea. Change Idea!

5/20/13
~ Adding final submission pics here to make it easier for voting / viewing. Thanks!

Beauty Shots
escape_final_01.jpg
escape_final_02.jpg
escape_final_03.jpg
escape_final_04.jpg

Tech Shots
tech_01.jpg
tech_02.jpg
tech_asset_01.jpg
tech_asset_02.jpg
tech_asset_03.jpg

Replies

• WarrenM
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks WarrenM, will do.

Hey everyone,

Thought I should show my progress thus far, pretty sloppy shots inc. Just a few screengrabs of viewport. Just been trying to get a feel / plan for what will be happening in this escape.

The first is just a wide shot to show total progress. You'll never see those stairs from the outside, if that was confusing anyone. There will be rocks and a lake at the base of the bridge and tower.

blockout_1.jpg

blockout_2.jpg

blockout_3.jpg

blockout_4.jpg

I've been trying to go with an Art Deco feel to everything, which I like. But I think I may have gone overboard on the tower, its looking like a theater or something. So that may change a bit.

Thanks.
  • Burnzy
    Wow, keep going I want to see more. Great attention to detail
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Burnzy :)

Spent some time making one of probably two? (maybe just one...) tileable rock walls to use throughout the scene. Pretty quick diffuse, far from final.

rockwall_01.jpg
  • feanix
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome rock texture, dude! One of the best I've seen!
  • DLoud
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    Rocks are looking pretty solid (har har). Just curious, what are you using for reference(movies, books, games, other dwarf depictions like war hammer, etc). The dwarf architecture is looking pretty good so far. Perhaps improve the silhouette of the tower around the bridge area? The long vertical lines stand out to me.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you two.

Awhile back I stumbled across http://decoarchitecture.tumblr.com/ ... which has literally 200+ pages of Art Deco shots. So I have a pretty large folder on my HD filled with reference.

I actually haven't used any reference from Warhammer or LOTR. Maybe that is a mistake, since that is what I'm basing it off of? Heh... I wanted to steer clear from it looking identical to those worlds, but maybe I should sprinkle it in here and there.

I agree with you that the silhouette of the tower is pretty meh. I'll work on it.
  • DLoud
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    I definitely think it's worth adding your own flare to it. You mentioned LOTR, so I was curious where your inspiration was coming from.

Interesting that some elements of art deco feel dwarf-like, particularly some of the pillars and towers. I don't think it hurts to explore that a bit more and see where it takes you while adding back in some iconic dwarf statues or decor.
  • 3shold
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Hot damn! This is looking good man. Love them silhouettes!
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 3shold :)
    Interesting that some elements of art deco feel dwarf-like, particularly some of the pillars and towers.

Totally, I was thinking the same exact thing over the past few days. Thanks for that input Dloud, I'm going to explore some dwarf decor right now.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looking pretty slick man!
  • throttlekitty
    I don't know where you're going with this, but I like it.
  • NobleWulf
    Thanks Burnzy :)

Spent some time making one of probably two? (maybe just one...) tileable rock walls to use throughout the scene. Pretty quick diffuse, far from final.

rockwall_01.jpg

I love how you say far from final. I am in love with the texture as of now. Great work.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yay, Lord of the Rings! And the texture is looking fantastic, too, best of luck!

One critique though, while I agree that the art deco looks great and very dwarvish, it doesn't look very LotR-dwarvish.
    Check out these images:
    pic_1352825069_9.jpg
    Lord_Of_The_Rings_Khazad-dum.jpg

The really angular (especially triangular) and layered elements are what I immediately associate with LotR dwarves. Unless you're not anchoring this in the Peter Jackson version, in that case, disregard everything :D
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.

And Spudnik, after Dloud's comments on the silhouette of the tower, I went through my LOTR dvds and took a number of reference shots of Moria... (One being nearly the same shot as you linked) ... and immediately realized how much it could add to the scene. Thanks to both of you :)

I've been busy with real life and away from computer for almost a week now, but I am in the process of updating everything to more closely represent Dwarven / lotr architecture. Shots soon to follow.

Thanks again.
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    I am alive, I assure you.

I haven't been able to be at the computer as much as I'd like, and when I have made it there I've suffered from the artist's equivalent to writer's block (creative block?) ... Either way, things should be picking up more steadily now.

I've made what feels like 50 different versions of the "tower" ... I can't seem to make anything I like. But it's getting close, I should have something to show for feedback soon.

I made some basic trims and textures (first pass) that I plan on using throughout the scene, and went ahead and tried to get a feel for where I want the bridge to be heading.

bridgefloor_01.jpg

bridgefloor_02.jpg
  • lonelysquare
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    WOW...... this is looking NICE!

I am really looking forward to seeing this come together.
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    damn that floor looks sexy, just needs to get dirtier and its perfect xD
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Mmmm that floor is looking good.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    nice progress, loving the texture work.
  • DLoud
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    You're nailing that dwarven feel with these textures. It looks like youll get a log of reuse out of them too. Keep up the good work.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I love that ground piece! The rough brick with no spec contrasted with strong gold highlights from that trim piece! I love thattttt!!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    oooooo, that is some mighty fine floor work you've got there 8D How dense is the floor?
  • Lilith
    wow, beautiful textures! Subscribed!
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)
    damn that floor looks sexy, just needs to get dirtier and its perfect xD

I agree. Once I get it into UDK I plan on dirtying/breaking things up more with some vertex painting, and more polished textures.
    How dense is the floor?

Slightly, dense? I've stitched everything together. I feel if you spend the extra time now to put in some extra stitching, vertex painting works/looks better later on.

bridgefloorwire.jpg
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    keep up the good work mustashio
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, Amazing. From mustache to masseur, thank you.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    top notch work. definitely watching this. loving the wireframes of the models. would love to know your workflow for these type of meshes.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looks great for some vertex blending for sure! :D

you could probably reduce a little bit on the curved steps areas but without any actual rules who cares :D
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.

It's been some time so small lil update...

Progress has been slow as I've spent a lot of time noodling around in UDK. I've spent the past few days relearning everything I've forgot. I really haven't opened it up in well over a year, it's amazing how little I've remembered... And how much has changed... all hail FBX!
    you could probably reduce a little bit on the curved steps areas but without any actual rules who cares

Even though there are no "rules" I'm still trying to be conscious of tri counts :). And yeah, I considered going a little lower on those steps, but I prefer to spend a bit more on large curves to get a smoother silhouette, and also a little less UV stretching.
    would love to know your workflow for these type of meshes.

Basically try to get shapes / silhouettes I like and then a lot of split poly tool (snapping to points), insert edge loop, and splitting mesh with projected curves. All while being on the grid as much as possible.

Here is a small section of the bridge. Kinda boring I know. Was messing around with the lighting, in the end I plan on it being night, with some torchs here and there... The Watcher's tentacles shooting out from the dark!

(Imagine fire in that brazier)

bridgerelief_01.jpg
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Love the gold highlighting, your textures are great!
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    I am such a nerd for sculpted seamless environmental textures. I can go to an art gallery and enjoy myself, but nothing makes me "Oooh" like a thread like this - *Subscribed*
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Spahr and AbKI :)

Oof... I'm alive. I am Sorry about disappearing.

I've became incredibly busy over the past 3 or so weeks, and have had literally no time be at home on my computer.

Over the past few days I've had a good deal of free time to work on my challenge entry, and I'm determined to turn in at least SOMETHING for "The Escape"

I spent the weekend bringing what I had into UDK and relearning basically everything, it has been awhile since I have opened it up...

bridgeudktest_01.jpg
    bridgeudktest_02.jpg
    bridgeudktest_03.jpg

The shaders still need some work, but the puddles are close... It will make more sense when the big, wet, slimy tentacles of The Watcher are wrapping themselves all around the environment.

The bridge is made of 2 1024x1024 tileables and a 1024x1024 trimsheet, and I plan on, as quickly as possible, making the tower with those and maybe 1 or 2 more textures. Then the Watcher's tentacles, then, time willing, unique reliefs (dwarven statues, unique pillars inside the towers, etc...).

sheet_bricks.jpg
    sheet_concrete.jpgsheet_trim.jpg

Thank you!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    That's so beautiful.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that turned out very nice!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh god, I love this so much o_o Texturing, modeling, lighting, shaders . . . plus it's lotr >< <3<3
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha SO AWESOME!

pretty keen for what comes next.
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent colour pallete, my only worry would be the ambient light is maybe slightly to dark? But thats only my preferance as i like being able to all the details =D.
  • Aran Anderson
    Offline / Send Message
    Aran Anderson polycounter lvl 12
    Loving this so far, cannot wait to see the end result!
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, those textures and shaders are really great. Good luck with the rest! :)
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments!
    Excellent colour pallete, my only worry would be the ambient light is maybe slightly to dark? But thats only my preferance as i like being able to all the details =D.

I agree, it is very first pass... Once I get everything in there I'll refine the lighting.

Not much to show but I thought I'd show it. Here is my initial bake for the door, no diffuse or spec, just a high gloss and the normal. Still need to add some dwarven details and writing onto it.

I now realize that I was noodling around with DoF earlier in marmoset and I left those settings on for the screencap, sorry it's so blurry. My eyes are tired... Goodnight!

door_bake.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Your texture work is excellent. Also nice work on the door.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Fantastic work. If you get the chance some time I would love to see a greater break down off your model.

Keep up the great work.

tumblr_ma7nw6m5WE1rqbtmi.gif
  • DLoud
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    Looking badass dude. Keep it up :)
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Dloud, Littleclaude, Kennyties, thank you :)
    Fantastic work. If you get the chance some time I would love to see a greater break down off your model.

Sure, off everything in general? Or the door specifically?

I am definitely running out of time! And I am going out of town over the weekend, until Monday afternoon. So I have to be done by tomorrow night. That, accompanied with the fact that I've been busy at work, means I'll have to cut quite a bit to finish up, sadly. But hopefully I have a few interesting shots to end up with.

Here is a quick screengrab within UDK editor, first pass of the Watcher's arms. Let me know what can be tweaked.

Sort of ignore the tower for the time being, all the shaders need to be worked on, it needs more work all over in general.

chriz.jpg

Thanks!
  • lonelysquare
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all.

I'm finished. I'm going out of town over the weekend, won't be back until Monday morning. Tonight was it! I wish I had more time to improve just about everything! (I had to cut the entire inside of the tower... it just wasn't up to snuff)

I had a lot of fun. Good luck to everyone over the weekend, I look forward to seeing all the amazing entries. :)

Click here to see my submission post.

Thanks again!

big.jpg
  • iansmithartist
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 13
    Its a shame you didn't have time to take it as far as you wanted but what you've got here is beautiful.
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    One of my favorites. I hope you take the time to polish it up. I'd love to see your final vision. The material work is really exceptional.

I think it'd be scarier if some of the tentacles were thicker. Not all of them, but a few.

I'd love to see some breakdowns of how you did the textures and materials. This is really some fantastic art.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Really awesome work, I like how it tunred out. Since you work in maya, did you use Uv sets for the seperate tiling textures