Home General Discussion

limit your job hunt to AAA at your own risk

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I wasn't sure what to write here, I've been the opinion for a while that limiting your job search to AAA Console studios only will severely limit your job prospects - even more than not being up to date on current tech.

While it isn't an industry wide survey this GDC survey does paint a picture of mobile being the dominant platform followed by PC:
GDC State of the Industry

I wish I had a more eloquent break down like Kevin Johnstone's thread in 2006 about the lack of environment artists but there are some similarities here. There is a perception of AAA being the sexy place to be while mobile, web, f2p and the rest are the doldrums. People talk about how much competition there is for character art, now imagine 90% of those character artists competing for the sexy 50% of jobs out there (I just pulled these percentages out of my butt)

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    For me personally, I love working on AAA console titles, that comes down to preffernce though. I like the 2-3 year dev cycle on a major AAA release, not only does it usually mean a solid income for a couple years unless the project gets canned, but those are the projects that are usually in the spotlight and look awesome on your resume.

Its also pretty cool to be in wal-mart or gamespot and point out 3 games you worked on on in the shelf, but thats more than a little vain :P In my experience working at smaller companies there is always some money trouble bullshit with either unpaid wages or delayed paycheques or the fear that the company will implode at any second if they dont somehow land this big contract...."so we need a big overtime push team"

in most cases if a big AAA studio goes tits up you will get some type of severance package better than the standard 2 weeks pay you are lucky to hopefully get at a small studio. the downside is you hear a lot more about big studios laying off staff or closing, but to be honest, thats cause they are big and in the media. plenty of small studios I know of are struggling or have dissapeared as well. if im gonna be jobless for a while id rather a nice cushy severance cheque to ride on for a while. hell I know someone who made an extra 25g in a year from ridining a couple layoff waves at various studios.

If you are at a AAA and somehow find yourself out of work, if you are good there is a solid chance you will find work quickly. The thing that always irks me here on polycount is people hearing about studio layoffs and saying "yea! now they can go indie" like its some magical easy band aide solution. it usually takes some start up capital or you have to go into savings to do that, which a lot of people cant just muster up some cash.

kinda back on topic though. I dont look down on f2p or mobile games at all, there are some awesome titles coming out and killin it financially and critically in those markets and they are blowing up. its always a gamble in this industry, so its nice to see it paying off. hell uncharted 3's multiplayer going F2P is a total sign of this. I would echo justin's point for sure, especially for anyone looking to get into the industry. the aside i would add to it though is go with what your heart tells you you want to work on. for me thats AAA, i know its what i get excited and motivated about.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    incredibly well said, PixelMasher. I agree 100%!
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    The ironic thing about what you're saying to limiting yourself to only AAA studios, is that if you do that in Australia at that's like limiting to yourself to only 10% of game jobs out there. The majority of the studios here all develop mobile games for the most part, so I guess my point is don't limit yourself to only AAA because it's a severe handicap!
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    In my experience working at smaller companies there is always some money trouble bullshit with either unpaid wages or delayed paycheques or the fear that the company will implode at any second if they dont somehow land this big contract...."so we need a big overtime push team"

I think that is slowly becoming a thing of the past now that smaller studios are going under or transitioning to mobile/tablet/f2p stuff IMO. But I definitely agree that a larger studio/publisher offers some sort of security for periods of time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like to see a break down of how many artists work at AAA studios vs small studios. Halo 4 had 26 internal environment artists and over 40 outsourced environment artists. A smaller studio would have maybe 5 artists? I'd still think most of the jobs would be at AAA studios, but there's still a large amount of small studio jobs.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    As long as I make games ( preferably good games ) I'm happy AAA or not. When starting out experience in any studio environment helps. I've had many artists wanting to break into games with companies such as Epic and Bungie at the top of their list. In my opinion it's a mistake to aim that high at first.

As PixelMasher mentioned AAA have a certain level of stability and benefits. what I like the most about working in a larger studio is the people. I'm lucky to be a part of a big enough team who are all fun and good to work with.

With that said I'm sure a small studio is more personal with smaller groups. I like variety :) Also more folks to learn from.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Triple-A offers the illusion of stability, growth (on-the-job ongoing training with the best of the best) and security to a lot of people in the industry. Lately, though, it seems there are an increasing amount of smoking craters where Triple-A studios used to be. Any notion of real, tangible stability should be seen as largely a dream, IMO.

The panacea of a AAA is becoming even more illusory. The studios who send the choice work overseas to outsource groups appears to be growing exponentially and the companies who do that often adopt very mercenary contractor policies. There goes another compelling reason to bust your hump to get in at a big place. No benefits, royalty plans, accrued vacation (and in some cases, no paid overtime) or other perks and what you are left with is often a worse deal than if you went to a smaller company that paid less but offered more perks and benefits. Usually the projects are managed with a saner scope and better development time - and that can make for an overall more satisfying experience (possibly a more healthy choice, too).

I guess it all comes down to what you want and what you can get. The allure of being on a big-name, über-successful franchise is definitely attractive. Like a siren's call, it's hard to not want to be on the sexiest, most ambitious and awesome project going (at the time). It's natural for artists who really want to bring their A-game and who want to grow to set their sights on a high-profile gig, but the reality is that not everybody can work on those projects. And, often the smaller projects offer unexpected growth opportunities unavailable on higher-profile gigs, where you might have just one task you do until you are sick of it. You might have a chance to grow in many other ways at a non-AAA or make contributions you'd otherwise never have the chance to make.

Not saying I would turn down a plum job, though. Just sayin' :poly121:
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    If someone is both jobless and looking only at AAA studios, then they are suffering from something different than general disdain for the little guy. Its probably a quality-of-work issue.

Look at your art and evaluate how it compares to the companies you are applying to, if its not going to knock the socks off the people at AAA studios that make incredible things every day then its time for a change of perspective. Its notoriously difficult to objectively evaluate your own skills and limitations but its also the single thing that can make you better and lead to the 'prized' jobs. I've found this trouble to be especially apparent among new graduates. They want to work on the blockbuster titles.

If you cant get into those places then working at a small studio is important for reasons other than just getting into the industry. You have to learn how to work with others, have a boss, and take direction. You have to learn that not everything is going to be magical all the time. And every game needs boring stuff too (and a lot of it) like grass. Working at a smaller place can help you get into the swing of things without suffering too much pressure or intimidation, and it helps some people grow up.

On the other side, working at a place with the best talent will make you a better artist faster and more effectively than anything else. There is nothing else quite like the shame of showing your work next to the best in the industry at a weekly crit to motivate you to get better. There is a strong correlation between the big studios and talent density. So working at a small place might lead to stagnation if you don't self-motivate.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I agree that it's a good idea to broaden ones scope when looking for work but I don't think the reason people clamor for AAA is solely for the glitz (Im not going to deny that its a HUGE part of it usually), but instead because they know the studio exists and that they can apply there.
    There are definitely a ton of smaller studios now but how many people know that they exist so that they can apply there?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I don't often hear of people going from AAA to mobile games or F2p but it must be happening, my art lead at work used to work at RARE on loads of great games and has loads of industry experience and now hes working with our art team making awesome mobile games so it definitely feels like the industry is changing to me.

I also dont often hear of mobile/f2p artists going on to AAA work when Ive talked to recruiters they seemed to think it was a bad plan. I think that there is a common perception that mobile/F2P game artists are somehow inferior to AAA artists but I'm really not sure there is that much of a difference in skill set these days. Maybe its just a problem of mobile/f2p artists having loads of mobile/F2P quality artwork in the portfolio and the people hiring wanting to see some AAA quality pieces in there, which is rather time consuming but should be possible.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    AAA isn't even that fun.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged: there's a decent amount of Vigil people at Kingsisle doing Wizard101 & Pirate101, that could just be the fact that Vigil sought out artists with good all around skills so they could fit into a diffuse only pipeline pretty easily.

I'm dissapointed they didn't ask how many people were doing console exclusives because I'm sure there is a lot of overlap between the 360 & PS3 in these results.
    nextgenplatforms.jpg
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I work in AAA because I enjoy the product. If I'm not working on products that I enjoy, I simply won't do it. I can make considerably more doing a job I don't enjoy outside of the games industry.

So yeah, I'll continue to only work in the AAA space, or not at all. The exception being 'high profile' lower budget titles (e.g. high budget XBLA).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Justin: Totally agree - there's so many studios out there. People who limit themselves to the common household names of studios limit themselves.

If people know the studio or the games we make doesn't matter to me that much. I think you can create awesome artwork everywhere and you can try to give your best everywhere as long as the studio itself is run in a professional manner. And if you do that you will still get awesome folio pieces out of it which allow you to move wherever you want. This is especially my advice for people out of college who limit themselves right away to let's say Blizzard or Naughy Dog, even though they have even less oversight of the market situation than we do.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    I also dont often hear of mobile/f2p artists going on to AAA work when Ive talked to recruiters they seemed to think it was a bad plan.

If you mean agent type recruiters. Of course they would say that, its in their self interest. The companies they contract to would be larger budget studios. These other platform developers would have no need nor funding for a recruiter.
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    Does that graph weight each platform's market share based on man hours? In the 2-4 years it takes to develop the average console or pc game a lot more mobile games can be made. I would rather see a graph that compares earnings per man hour invested.

Obviously you should work on projects at a studio where you are happy; but I've seen a lot of examples of people with 6-10 years in the industry who have little to show for it. They've spent their time at places and in projects that are not pushing them artistically and even if the everyday work is passable the core skills are broken. They've ended up with mediocre portfolios and little chance of advancement to another location.

What I'm getting at is that it takes excitement to create motivation - often times you find that more easily on big-name productions because the gamers care more about the product, the media cares more about the product, and the entire company cares more with them. Find it anywhere you can, because a paper resume will only take you so far.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't trying to turn this into a versus argument - much like Kevin wasn't trying to pit character artists against environment artists.

That chart was a survey of what platforms GDC attendees where working on, not market share.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I go wherever the work takes me. If that's F2P or mobile, that's fine. As long as I'm working on something interesting (ie; NOT Disney Princesses) then I'm happy working anywhere in games. AAA game development has been hard for me the last 4-5yrs, being mainly a contractor.

I got out of games in 2006 and did scripting for slot machine games. In 2008 I went back as an env artist on Forza Motorsport 3 as a contractor. After my contract was up in 2009, I was unemployed for over 10 months. After that, Turn10 finally hired me back on another contract for Forza 4. Once my contract ended I was then out of work for 6 more months, before landing a "full time" job as an env artist at Timegate, down in Texas. I was there for 16 months before being part of a large layoff this past December. Unemployed a few months again and now I'm back at Turn10 for another contract, which is slated to end tentatively, in October.

If mobile, web or free to play can offer more work/stability, I'd be all for it. It's just a matter of finding a studio that's hiring. I really love working on big games, but it's also a huge amount of pressure and stress. In the end, so long as you get paid for doing what you love, it's a win.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    The question I have is where to look, the smaller studios who may have varied projects might not be advertising everywhere for a position.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Joe March wrote: »
    The question I have is where to look, the smaller studios who may have varied projects might not be advertising everywhere for a position.

Yeah dude, my studio doesn't advertise at all. My boss recruits through social media, friends etc
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic wrote: »
    Does that graph weight each platform's market share based on man hours? In the 2-4 years it takes to develop the average console or pc game a lot more mobile games can be made. I would rather see a graph that compares earnings per man hour invested.

This is actually a very valid point in more than one respect. Sure there may be two or even three times as many mobile games in the works - but does that actually equate to a higher rate of employment for developers? I'm pretty sure the answer is a resounding no. How many mobile games employ 30+ artists and outsource additional artwork?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA!

AAA stable?

you guys know when to cheer me up with a good laugh.

Thanks guys. :)
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    For anyone saying that they cant find these small studios, come on, google. I don't think iv heard of any studio not having some kind of web presence. And i would say def don't just wait until they post a position, i don't think we even have a "jobs" page and if we do we certainly don't use it. Our producer is constantly looking at portfolios keeping track of good ones for future hiring needs. See if they need a tissue paper tester for a day, I know we always do. Maybe you can also mention that your looking for work when your there testing.

You can cold call/email, it's not annoying just don't expect to hear back right away. It's about throwing out as many lines as possible, if you can CHOOSE between positions offered all the better. So, going back to what Justin said, especially for someone trying to get into the industry yeah, totally apply freakin everywhere. not just where you want to eventually work in your career, who knows maybe your priorities will change.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Calm your tits down peeps! This isn't a debate thread on what is wrong or right :poly142:
    I wasn't trying to turn this into a versus argument - much like Kevin wasn't trying to pit character artists against environment artists.

That chart was a survey of what platforms GDC attendees where working on, not market share.

That's exactly how I read this at the start, I'm surprised at the number of Polycounters defending teeth and nail an invisible argument here of "What one should look into", this simply was a PSA on not to limit yourself to one side of the industry down to the single penny.

"Don't put all of your cocks in one Hen den" or as the saying goes.

I mean sure, the Thread title is abit iffy but other then that, yeesh, Kotaku flashback.

PS: Anyhow, everyone knows PC's are better anyway :P
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've encountered plenty of studios that don't have a web presence.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every rule has an exception, geesh, whats with all this hostility, just trying to converse.

I was just saying, that not being able to find SOME way of contacting them shouldn't be an excuse in most cases. There are lots of resources for finding small studios
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way you answered that specific question TrevorJ, leaves a lot to be desired. So let me rephrase the question: Where would one start to find smaller studios, outsource etc? Are there common known webpages or marketplaces that can give a proper accounting for these places? Or is it a more arcane and obscure search?

What I use often is Gamedevsmap.com but some of the studios are clearly dead, and some might not have been updated with a new presence. If that is not the case, what is it? Word of mouth, a friend of a friend?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    networking - research, the internet is a powerful tool. Put as much effort into finding work as it took to learn how to become skilled in your area of expertise.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed Joe, i did kind of say "TRY HARDER" without giving anything useful. Game dev map is a great resource, but like you said a lot of studios on any sort of "list", unless curated regularly will get out of date, as studios big and small pop up and bust like crazy. Stability? gufahh!

When i graduated i applied to a ton of studios on this list
    http://www.candevs.ca/
    but i know for a fact a lot of the ones on that list are also defunct.

Just talking from what i've heard from some graduates, getting a job at something not AAA is not a "failure" or accepting less or anything. There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at every possible opening. I also don't want to make this thread into some kind of us/them big/small thing so.. yeah, I don't really have anything else to add.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mates, and I do agree with casting a wider net. It doesn't make sense to compete with thousands of other applicants for one single position and you bet the house on getting it. But it doesn't absolve the artist from doing the footwork and making connections.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People talk about how much competition there is for character art, now imagine 90% of those character artists competing for the sexy 50% of jobs out there (I just pulled these percentages out of my butt)

What disciplines are the most in-demand in the industry atm any ways? Are riggers/animators in high demand even though character artists aren't?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes animators are always in demand, most games have animation ;)

As far as the highest demand, it's programmers.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    chronic wrote: »
    There is a strong correlation between the big studios and talent density. So working at a small place might lead to stagnation if you don't self-motivate.

That isn't very true. The size of a studio doesn't indicate they have weak or strong people working there.

AAA is such a shitty term to use, because everyone has a different definition for it.

Smaller teams kick ass. There is a powerful illusion about what the industry is really like, or what it's like to work at certain studios, as opposed to smaller or lesser known places. I'll take a small studio cranking out smaller scale, yet innovative, compelling and fun titles, versus filling a slot on a 400 man team and having "crunch" be a regular and accepted thing.

Saying "I'll only work on AAA or at these companies (games)" is stupid and shortsighted. While some big places are very fun to work for and may be what you want to do, be open to working at smaller places as you will often experience things you simply can't anywhere else. You might like it.

There are things you'll always have to weigh and make compromises with, but don't forget about quality of life.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to translate the chart again? it reads Vita have 5 times more games/people working on it's title/resource etc than the NDS. When we all know NDS have at least 100x titles than the nds, also sells 100x times more too.

Also the sum of total percentage exceed 100%..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    binopittan wrote: »
    How to translate the chart again? it reads Vita have 5 times more games/people working on it's title/resource etc than the NDS. When we all know NDS have at least 100x titles than the nds, also sells 100x times more too.

Also the sum of total percentage exceed 100%..

They asked developers what platforms they were developing on - so a developer who is working on a multiplatform game would most likely say PC, 360 & PS3.

As far as the Vita, Sony has been trying hard to get developers on board, giving out free dev kits to indie studios and investing about $20 million on getting developers on board. Nintendo systems haven't been that great for 3rd parties lately so plenty of studios are moving away from them. And there's that whole PS4 + Vita interaction to take into account.
  • Ben Apuna
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    dude i'll work for whoever pays me money

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ cream get the money $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ben Apuna wrote: »

hmmm my workplace Neonplay isnt on that indiedevmap as far as I can tell.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    austin as a whole city isnt on there.

although it's all user submitted.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    dude i'll work for whoever pays me money

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ cream get the money $$$$$$$$$$$$$

ROFL
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <edit> I should drink and post
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I have only worked on AAA-titles so far so I can't really say anything about smaller studios working on indies or mobile-games. I have looked for jobs in them though. Right now I can at least say that I enjoy AAA-games. There is a lot of resources that will be available to you when work on high-profile titles. It opens a lot of doors as well.

I really do like the things I've seen coming out of the indie-market lately though. Lots of innovative stuff, games that feels like games without all the bullshit and honestly, I wouldn't mind working on something like em in my spare-time.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Small studios are the way to go. Well, let me re-phrase. Successful small studios are the way to go. I don't want to work in a 100+ person studio ever again, although I am sure it will happen.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I work my day job in mobile for f2p social games.

it's ok I guess!

Stability is changing as studios grow (off the millions of kids / housewives spending their pocket change).
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Have worked at a tiny studio who thought it was AAA and worked in an AAA team who were AAA. Would choose small closely knit team over large team anyday had I the choice.

Wayyyyyy too many cheifs, not enough indians is my experience so far with big studios.

Edit: And the red tape one has to cut through to get something done on a big team. That's not something I will ever miss.

Never before has the platform / opportunity for small teams of creative people been so freaking accesible. I agree with OP, dont limit yourself to the glitz!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Have worked at a tiny studio who thought it was AAA and worked in an AAA team who were AAA. Would choose small closely knit team over large team anyday had I the choice.

Wayyyyyy too many cheifs, not enough indians is my experience so far with big studios.

Never before has the platform / opportunity for small teams of creative people been so freaking accesible. I agree with OP, dont limit yourself to the glitz!

For sure! It does feel like there are usually too many cooks with big AAA-development. Looking at the focus and intent the indies have with their games I can't help but be a little bit envious.

AAA-game development for artists can sometimes be like a big machine that only makes art and never really bothers or knows about any other part of the machine.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hazardous wrote: »

this. ive worked on smaller teams that LOVE what they are working on. when you have a team that loves what they are doing innovation in art and tech can happen without dramatics and effort.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, my awareness of 90% of smaller studios has entirely come from networking. It's not uncommon for them to advertise and hire through word of mouth alone.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    ambershee wrote: »
    To be honest, my awareness of 90% of smaller studios has entirely come from networking. It's not uncommon for them to advertise and hire through word of mouth alone.

Yeah, this was how I scored mine. Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I would start with Linkedin. You can search for companies, then filter by mobile games and region. Doing this gave me 379 in the UK.

You could also browse games in the iTunes or Play stores and get company contact info from there.