A pack of textures painted using hand (!)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Blaisoid polycounter lvl 5
Edit: The pack can be bought now on Unity Asset Store.
You'll find it here:
LINK TO THE PACK

prevbluerocks1.jpg
prevgrayrocks2.jpg
prevground1.jpg
eees.jpg

Original post:
Here's another thing i've been working on recently, a ground/soil/grass texture pack that i intend to sell in places like unity store.

Please keep in mind that these are WIPs.

HP_PackPreview_DryGround1.jpg
HP_PackPreview_Grass1.jpg
HP_PackPreview_Rocks1.jpg
HP_PackPreview_Soil1.jpg

Since i have no experience at creating environments with hand painted textures, i need some opinions on how to approach certain things:

1. BOLDNESS, WOW-ESQUE STYLE, READABILITY
Most of hand painted packs on the interwebs are heavily stylized - they use big simple shapes, bold highlights,
cartoony roundness, exaggerated colors etc.
And that's fine but i'm not into 100% cartoony textures at the moment.
Do you think that above features are necessary in order for textures to be appealing to potential buyers?
Or is it more of a case of people buying cartoony stuff simply because that's what's been available to them?
It would be nice to find my own niche but then again niche probably equals less sales.

Also, I know that readability is a big thing for mobile games, though i'm not sure if my textures are suitable for mobile at all. Grass textures are a bit noisy, i might tone them down or add some contour.
What about rocks and grounds? shadows on those will probably have more contrast in final versions.

2. DIRECTIONAL DETAILS
few days ago I noticed that my grass textures don't work well when seen from certain angles and directions,
basically if you're facing tips of grass blades it's starts to look strange. I think i added a little bit of fake perspective there without realizing it.

So the question is, should i remake them is or is it a kind of issue that that can be found in games and people can "get away" with this?

3. AMOUNT OF VARIATIONS
I noticed that some of best looking packs feature very small number of variations. It's kind of a "one of each thing" approach. which seems strange to me, wouldn't people want few variations to make texture more useful?

I have only a vague idea about what can and what can't be done these days using texture blending in level editors. but i assumed that you can't for example make a nice 'ground with spots of grass' by blending pure grass and pure ground.

4. 'MUST HAVE' SURFACE TYPES
So far i got grass, a bunch of dry grounds and wet grounds, few cracked grounds, muddy ground, rocky ground.
i intend to make more versions with pebbles/small rocks, and i have been experimenting with forest grounds.
Is there anything else that's really common and should be included?

Some of my ideas for textures are:

-rocks from different climates, blueish/grayish etc
-Vulcanic ground, Lava
-snow pack
-river bottom
-sand

5. ALPHA MASKED GRASS BLADES
This kind of stuff seems to be used everywhere, so would pack feel incomplete without separate grass blade textures?

any feedback unrelated to above things is welcome as well.

Replies