Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbarian - Can I use it?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
Hello guys,

I´ve done this barbarian for a personal project. It was suppose to be a "classic barbarian". As generic as possible, sword, shield, muscles, connan like.
But he is now just too much connan like.
This is the way he should look like, but I am afraid that I cannot use him in a comercial project. Although there are several games and movies with this kind of barbarian. (but maybe not that similar)
I am quite happy with the result and would like to ask you guys what you think? Is it ok to use it? Or I should modify?
If modifying would be recommended, how different he should look like?
If it would be to much effort I gonna just use him as a portfolio piece and make another one.
But I would love to use him the way he is now...

Feedbacks are welcome anyway. :)
barbarian.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How many tris is this guy at? I'd have to assume you want to spin this as an iOS/mobile fidelity character.

I'm a noob, but to me, looks properly painted for the most part. Good job with the serratus anterior, though the area near the sacrum seems unnecessarily dark.
    The face just feels really good, heh. Definitely getting Frazetta's conception from this.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    If you're worried about him being too similar to Conan, maybe just give him red hair or something?

The thing about Conan is that he's a bit too iconic. Seriously, any muscle-bound, sword-wielding dude in a loincloth is gonna be confused with Conan. I remember when I was a youngster, I had initially thought that the barbarian from The Power Team, Conan the Adventurer, and some Genesis game were all the same guy.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Yea. It's fine.

It's like comparing someone's generic human model to another's. they are the same thing but different.

But if you still feel it still looks to much like him, add a leather strap over the shoulder and have it so he can sheath his sword there?

Another thing you could do is make him a different race...
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You could give him a beard as well. Oh wait then he will look like Drogo
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think he's too similiar, but changing some stuff should take you no more than 10 minutes so why not try it and choose the best result. the only issue i see is that some muscles are well defined and have strong highlights while others are flat and blurry or have weird shapes.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A beard would be more historically accurate - clean-shaven faces were considered effete by most tribes.

Of course, a tunic and trousers (or kilt) were more common than loin cloths for most (berserkers being a notable exception) - northern lands tended to be a bit chilly...
  • Masheiry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    You could give him a beard as well. Oh wait then he will look like Drogo
    :thumbup:
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Guys! Thanks for the feedback. Gonna work on it!