Home Technical Talk

alpha antialiasing Viewport

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hello guys
now i'm working on a hand painted environment ; and i'm using some alpha for the plants and grass. so when i'm making the antialiasing of the viewport 8 samples , i get those wierd lines around the models that have opacity map :poly118:

problem.jpg

how i fix it ?
thanks you :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the UVs are grabbing color from elsewhere in the texture. Did you try shrinking the UVs a couple pixels?

Or it might just be a bug in Max.

You could try a shader that combines alpha blend (for the texture transparency) with alpha test. You'll need to push the threshold control for the alpha test all the way over, so it only clips the totally-clear parts.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Try what Eric said, it doesn't work, try another shader maybe?

It's also a distance mipping issue, the further away your camera is to the item that is using an Alpha, the more that issue occurs.

I had a character with Eyelashes which had a tiled texture and a hard 1-bit alpha, their eyelashes literally looked like two black cylinders at a distance.

Not sure if it's Max version issue, in 2009 at least, all the shaders have this issue I experienced.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if it's max 2012, you are probably using diretx on the vewport right?
    try changing to nitrous and see if that helps
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not a uv problem ; when i'm running the model with max 2009 , i dont have this problem because 2009 don't have antialiasing for viewport . but when run it on max 2012 and make antialiasing on , the edges pop out
    i'm not using any shader , it's just a simple max material

i change the viewport to nitrous but some of the textures are gone , just the flowers and grass textures is showing

here is more pics
    prob2.jpg

max 2012 . Direct3D
    prob2.jpg

here is nitrous mode :
    textures gone , when try to reload them but not working

prob3.jpg

thanks guys for the help
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disable AA. Render a preview 2x the intended size. Scale down in Photoshop. There you go, easy AA!

How to render a preview larger than your display resolution:
    http://leslievdb.com/grabviewport.htm