Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darksiders inspired Chaoseater

Hey guys, I have been playing the game Darksiders recently and I fell in love. So I decided to test my sculpting skills and model out the Chaoseater from the game.

This is the base mesh
Base_mesh_1.jpg
Base_mesh_2.jpg
Base_mesh_3.jpg

Didn't actually focus at creating any forms just yet. Wanted to test my sculpting skills.

Here's the sculpting done. Rendered out in a slight reflective type clay straight from zbrush.
Sculpt_1.jpg
Sculpt_2.jpg
Sculpt_3.jpg

Sculpted using dynamesh. Contains around 8 million polys... Then I used decimation master to get something like this.
Low_poly_1.jpg

The maps [4096 by 4096] - maps scaled down to 2048x2048 when using DXShader (Marmoset toolbag!!!)

Normal Map:
normal.jpg

AO Map:
occlusion.jpg

Diffuse Map:
diffuse_map.jpg

Specular map:
specular.jpg

Ahhh, this is the final render from Marmoset...
final_1.jpg

After a little bit of professionalisation in Photoshop :poly121:
final_2.jpg
Thats the final output...

Suggest ways in which I can make my render better. Criticisms are welcome. Basically I love criticisms and I believe that its the best way to learn.
:):)

Check out some of my other works in this website :
http://www.dipayan-gfx.webs.com

Replies

• SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, here's a screenshot to the popular game Darksiders:
    3119d1288811078-darksiders-screenshots-darksiders-screenshot-2.jpg
  • Squals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Sam, Good choice on the weapon, I did the same one last year. Was alot of fun.

chaosbeauty2.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    i cant see any spec in your render. Do you know you have to turn spec ON in marmoset? Your diffuse colors look muddy. your using 4k texture maps but it looks like 512. 10K in tris is WAYYYYY to many. Something like that i would say 3K would be my max, but someone else could correct me. Kill all the polys that don't effect your silhouette, and just rely on your Normal and Diffuse for those parts.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats great!! Give me some tips on how did you get the cool lighting...
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    i cant see any spec in your render. Do you know you have to turn spec ON in marmoset? Your diffuse colors look muddy. your using 4k texture maps but it looks like 512. 10K in tris is WAYYYYY to many. Something like that i would say 3K would be my max, but someone else could correct me. Kill all the polys that don't effect your silhouette, and just rely on your Normal and Diffuse for those parts.
    I actually didnt retopo, I used decimation master directly... so it came to such a high polycount... I somehow could not get crisp renders from marmoset. Dont know what the problem is. Just finished it yesterday... Can you enlighten me about creating good lighting for my models?
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    Squals wrote: »
    Hey Sam, Good choice on the weapon, I did the same one last year. Was alot of fun.

chaosbeauty2.jpg

well done mang
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Using decimation master as a surrogate for retopo is a bad idea. I can see a lot of bad shading errors on the blade because of the triangulation. Like Jet_Pilot said, 10k tris is way too much for something like this, same as having a 4K map. You could probably get the same resolution from a 1024 and not lose too much detail. This is a hero character so 10k tris and 4k textures is too much.

As for presentation, Marmoset has a good lighting tutorial on their website. Definitely give it a read. And your spec map needs a lot of work, the sword is metal so it should have a much brighter spec value not just on the edge of the blade.

A good effort but it lacks a bit of focus
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i'll rework on the topology and bake the maps again. Will post updates soon... some links about correct lighting in marmoset would be really helpful... :-)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Ok i'll rework on the topology and bake the maps again. Will post updates soon... some links about correct lighting in marmoset would be really helpful... :-)

Typing "marmoset tutorial" into YouTube yielded some expected results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqApp0le1I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cI6IP6ihjY
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    In addition to everything that has been said, you should should definitely add a cavity map to your diffuse. It's quite a shame that you spent time to sculpt it and lose almost all the details in your low poly renders. A cavity would solve that.
  • SamFisher45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol wrote: »
    In addition to everything that has been said, you should should definitely add a cavity map to your diffuse. It's quite a shame that you spent time to sculpt it and lose almost all the details in your low poly renders. A cavity would solve that.

Never heard of a cavity map. I have an AO map baked... Is it a different sort of map which gets lots of details? Whats a cavity map? Any help? And how do I make a cavity map?
  • JoshWilkinson
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Popol wrote: »

Yes, overlay your cavity map onto your diffuse will really help make edges pop, and should give you a good start for stylizing it.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Never heard of a cavity map. I have an AO map baked... Is it a different sort of map which gets lots of details? Whats a cavity map? Any help? And how do I make a cavity map?

There are several ways to generate a cavity map. I do it with Xnormal, go into Tools > Normal to cavity. You should look for tutorials on the Xnormal official site if you are not familiar with this program.

Once you've got your cavity set it on overlay on top of your diffuse and tweek the levels until you get the right look.