Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darkwolf Sculpture

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
This is a sculpey maquette I've been noodling around with on the side for a little while now. He's Darkwolf from Fire and Ice. I'm going to get after it a little more aggressively after work because I'd like to enter him in the Rascal Art Event show in June. Which, for those of you who haven't heard of it is a kind of art gallery for Vancouver game industry artists to display their non game art.

So any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated so I can get this guy looking the best he can in the next couple of months.

If anyone knows of some fur sculpting techniques please share them here cause I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on the fur that's here. I think it works a little better on the boots than the belt but let me know what you think.

And sorry for the lack of quality but the only camera I own is on my phone.

Thanks.

photo+(4).JPG

Replies

• AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photo+(5).JPG

Just thought I'd post the sculpt before baking, any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Not super good with anatomy, but the one thing that sticks out is the knee and thigh. The muscles don't bend around the front of the knee like that and create that pit that you have, that is more like how the back of the knee is.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Nice sculpt! Anatomy wise, his upper body looks good but there's 2 main issues with the legs.

1. his calves are MASSIVE. They make his thighs seem too small proportionally.

2. The thighs aren't as big of a problem but I'd suggest you look at a few bodybuilders for reference e.g. http://www.ionivan.ro/GALLERY-BODYBUILDER/EdCorney0020.jpg

Also, realistically a warrior wouldn't have that much muscle separation, but of course he wouldn't look as awesome without it :)
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to the hell of no ctrl Z, and no symmetry ;) There are a ton of books on sculpting and what not, but something I've noticed is guys who use sculpey bake in increments so they can work with sculpey firm and get more detailed details. I didn't know about this until recently, so all my sculpey work is juts a mix of sculpeys and trying to get the best of all at once. Great start, try and give yourself a couple days away from it when you get close to done, so you can gain some perspective before you bake.Keep us posted man!

tips:
    -dental tools for sculpting
    -think of fur as mass/ clumps and not strands.
    -maybe tone down those nipples, unless he's gonna be cutting glass with those puppies :)
    -bake at a lower temp than suggested and do it for longer. I'll try and remember the formula I snagged from some other guy, and post it later.
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for responding so quickly, I'll definitely put some work into the legs this evening and do a repost for more feedback before I bake.
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh turns out I did those tweaks and just Baked it. I was feeling kinda done with this piece. Here's how it turned out.
    AlexKola-DWLS.jpg

AlexKola-DWRS.jpg

AlexKola-DWSS.jpg

AlexKola-DWCU.jpg

AlexKola-DWFS.jpg
  • Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff! Dark Wolf is one of my favorite characters!