Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Electro girl

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
So I decided to make a "normal" character. that is, no fanatasy or scifi elements. 2 reasons; first i wanted to see if i can make something outside my comfort zone that is intresting, and second, i really need to practise on anatomy and realistic texturing.

the concept;
electrotrej_koncept.jpg

the highpoly;
electrotjej.jpg

the tracksuit jacket is only wip, right now it looks thick like a wool sweater or something. i feel somewhat finished with the pants and shoes, spent a lot of time on the folds at the bottom of the pants, and is still not super happy with them, but i need to move on. hat is finished, and i will spend some time on the face and hair when im finished with the clothes.

my plan is to stay away from to small details like fabric texture and such on the highpoly sclupt and add it later with ndo or something. good or bad idea?

any crits are more than welcome!!

Replies

• Moltazia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltazia polycounter lvl 5
    aaah, this looks awsome dude! :D cant wait to see an update ^^
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moltazia: thanks!

i finished the higpoly and put some sloppy polypainting on it to try out the colours...
    electrotjej2.jpg
    not sure about the yellow though so will probably go closer to the concept.
    started out with the retopo and baking now, not super fun but hopefully i can start texturing soon.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Really nice! I would really like to be able to see bigger render !! Those are really small!
    Really like the proportions and the work on the jeans!
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tits: thanks! i dont know how to render from zbrush though, so i just printscreen. hence the small size...

i spent a couple of days uvmapping and baking everything to normalmaps. happy with most of it except the shoes. and they even have pretty high poly density. havent started on the face and hands yet.
    electrotjej_bakning.jpg

next up is cloth texturing. jiipeeee!
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    folds on trousers are lovely jubbly, though a shame the top section seems a bit mirrored.
    More work needed on jacket though.
    Do you not baked all at once?
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanna: thanks for the crits! is the top mirroring on the pants a big issue? i thought i would save some texture space this way. i can fix it if it's too obvious though.

can you specify which parts of the jacket that you dont like? or should i do the whole thing over?

also no im saving the face, hands and hair for later.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking real nice stickadtröja,

small feedback would be, i can spot some smoothing errors at the bottom hem of the jacket. might want to add another loop in there for that extra bit of sweetness.

also the hands look a bit undefined right now
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    looks really nice. nice work on the folds, both jacket and pants. Though, and this may be minute, I think the shoes look really new. There aren't any folds near the arch or creases on front from walking. Looks as if they came right out of the box. If that's the intent, they look good.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnny: thanks! yeah ill probably do that and rebake it... and yes, but im doing the hands and face later. actually it will probably be my next move so we'll see how they turn out.

ljsketch: thanks! good crit! i want them to look a bit worn in the end so i will do as you suggest and add the folds.

here's a basic blockout with the colours and a cavity-occlusion mask adding some darkness and saturation to the folds.
    electro_farg.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I like the concept and I even like your sculpt more! The lower part of the body/the pants look very nice but I think the head could be more interesting. The concept`s head is quite punk/stylish while your version with the beanie reminds me more of a winter outfit.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G: thanks! hmm... i wanted the hat to not have the hassle of making so much hair. maybe it could get more interesting if i add glasses and freaky earings?

so started texturing the face. its by far the hardest part. i wanted to make her look tired and worn, but no there is way to much red and pink in there....

electro_texturstart1.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man. Her fingers might be a tad too long?
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    oooo muy interesante :) looking great so far man looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski: thanks! yeah sure, going to get some refs and fix them.

praetor187: thanks! hopefully it wont take to long...

so i spent some time on the face... its a real hassle with the alpha for the hair.
    so please crit away!
    electro_ansikte.jpg

some questions for anybody who bothers to answer;
    should i paint more shadows in the diffuse for the face? like some ambient occlusion under the hair and such?
    does the hair work? it should look like unnatural coloured hair.
    is the skin to flat? should i add more tones and shadows?
    is the whole face so off that i should redo all of it? i rather not but i want this to look good so...

em also, im thinking about rendering the whole thing in UDK instead of the viewport with Xoliul shader. im not sure, since people use udk for environments and such. the reason im thinking about it, is that i want to have shadows from the alpha planes in the hair. does that work in UDK?

the next thing is to go over the fabric again and work on the jeans and jacket.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiny update on the clothes.
    electro_kladerfix.jpg
    not really sure how to take this further...
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so a friend gave me some feedback and said that the material on the jacket didnt read well. he said that he couldnt see if it was leather or nylon.
    i want it to be somekind of tracksuit jacket so i checked some refs and added a bit of reflectivity and changed the spec. changed the colours too.
    electro_kladerfix2.jpg
    better or worse?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, this is looking good. the jacket definitely reads better now. is it this kind of material you're going for?

2013-men-s-tracksuit-jacket-coat-pants-shiny-suit-suits-9079.jpg

if so, i would try and maybe look into a different type of shader than your standard blinn, and keep playing around with spec, gloss and reflectivity
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Solid character. Both versions looks cool. With this blue jacket is more s-f style I think :P Yellow looks more cheep to me. Keep going ! :):thumbup:

Cheers!
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, its looking great man! I totally agree with mr_ace that you might get a better result with a good shader and lighting. :) Keep playing man, youre totally getting there! :D
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: thanks! yeah well your example is really plastic and shiny, i want mine to be more like this:tracksuit2.jpg

fantom: thanks man! i probably stick to the blue one then...

mr.wednesday: thanks! i tried to put the whole thing in marmorset, and heres the result;
    electro_jacka2.jpg

im pretty happy with the jacket actually but the face looked better in max. ill try to fiddle around with the spec and skinshader in marmorset, to get it look right.
    does anyone know if i can get transparent surfaces to have spec? like the eye lens?

but most important question is, do you like the marmorset jacket more than the max one?
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    The model and textures look nice, but imo her colors look washed out for an electro/punkish character. Maybe if you saturate the purple and blue it will help out, leave the jeans just the way it is.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    I tried a few methods of achieving transparency with a spec map in marmoset and each one failed miserably for me lol. I have not tried since upgrading to 108 though. If you figure it out I sure would like to know how it was done.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude: yeah i tried to push the blue in the jacket a bit more...

ljsketch: i googled it and found a way, you can use parallax mapping apparently. but for me it was to much hasstle without enough payoff so i just skipped it. flat spec-less eyes for me. hope its not a big issue on my final renders...

so tweaking stuff in marmorset gave these results;
    electro_posed.jpg
    electro_tpose.jpg
    fixed the hat between these so will update the first one.

feedback on lighting and posing?