Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-Fi Research Lab

Latest
VWFPacA.jpg

Hey Polycount

This is my final year project at uni and hopefully a major portfolio piece. Going to be making a Sci Fi lab environment in UDK so thought I should get posting about it here too as I am just starting to get into full production.

Very much inspired by Halo Reach/4, Deus EX and a couple of really nice environments I saw on here.

For now here is my moodboards/sketch up layouts and I will hopefully get some actual art posted up here over the next few days.

xnKbeDl.jpg

wJbAfY6.jpg

c6XADne.jpg

Cheers

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Eager to see where this goes. Can't ever not love a good sci-fi scene!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Karmageddon: Thanks :)

Started with a simple floor piece baked a high poly for all the major edges and then added smaller shapes and details with nDo2.

G0L7TH1.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Ah very cool. Can't wait to see your progress. Some of your details in the floor panel are getting lost at the moment. I would turn up your intensity on the smaller bits. keep it up!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah very cool. Can't wait to see your progress. Some of your details in the floor panel are getting lost at the moment. I would turn up your intensity on the smaller bits. keep it up!

Thanks. Cheers for the advice, will do!
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    I think you can afford more time on the block out, one advice would be to don't jump into texturing as of yet.

Work on your structure shapes, segments and how they will flow into each other. From there you can decide where to use specific textures, tiled textures and where you can reuse and where you need to create trims etc. Which will let you plan your textures alot more.

Not to mention, you might want to put in some early lighting. Could be a simple directional light (for your sun/moon) A couple of ambient lights to bring out the contrast of the shapes.

Don't be afraid of putting time into your block out. You'll have a benefit of setting a detail level of your textures much easier once your structures are on place.

Good luck!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami wrote: »
    I think you can afford more time on the block out, one advice would be to don't jump into texturing as of yet.

Work on your structure shapes, segments and how they will flow into each other. From there you can decide where to use specific textures, tiled textures and where you can reuse and where you need to create trims etc. Which will let you plan your textures alot more.

Not to mention, you might want to put in some early lighting. Could be a simple directional light (for your sun/moon) A couple of ambient lights to bring out the contrast of the shapes.

Don't be afraid of putting time into your block out. You'll have a benefit of setting a detail level of your textures much easier once your structures are on place.

Good luck!

Hey Sam.

I think you are right thanks for the advice I will spend a bit more time on the block out and getting some early lighting in to define the style of the environment a bit more.

Thanks!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some more time and effort on a more detailed blockout today and some really early lights.

FvNogk4.jpg

mXQyqdE.jpg

IGQupBs.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    blockout is done with bsp ? cant wait to see more progress
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yep it is.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long over due for an update. Really going to ramp up production on this now. Got a few shots of some assets in the engine, though they are just the highpoly's with out turbo smooth on so they are going to look a bit rough.

Posted a some shots of a few highpoly assets below too. Planning to add a lot more detail to them all in nDo2 once I have baked out the lowpolys.

lxEObPt.jpg

KMlqFWh.jpg

JwUHtF7.png

HB7Qk4C.png

7Wg1Aii.png

Also Some ideas for the large scanner that will be in the lab. I really want to focus on some of the major lab assets now and the artifact, the scanner being one of them.

http://i.imgur.com/RSMMeIf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TTa6A3z.jpg

Concepts from the art of Mass Effect and Halo 4
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some shots of the high poly scanner. Open to any suggestions or improvements.

puB7mId.png

Y9aFWCC.png

9HMu9BJ.png
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was not really happy with the current layout for any of this, the lab mostly. Felt like there was too much space and I would be working forever to fill it and most of all it lacked focus.

So I went back to this Concept from Halo Reach that I had looked at way back went I started and decided to follow its layout.

Still gona have the hallway area though less focus on it now and I feel like the lab is smaller but now at the center of things so I can spent a lot more time making it look awesome.

So anyway here is a blockout of the new lab

ZnLil0n.jpg

VWFPacA.jpg