Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Petrol Station Shaders and FX Scene [Video]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount, this is my first post here showing my own work, so here goes.

I have created a small scene in UDK for a university assignment, where the aim was to show off complex shaders and particle effects, using things like Mesh Paint, Fresnel, cubemaps etc.

There are still some things I could have done like petrol spills, clouds, drips off the roof and more objects and variation in the scene, but this is as far as I got for the submission.

All feedback is welcome and will assist me in my assignment and the future :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkO056LxH90"]UDK Petrol Station Shaders and FX Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good, I'm not very experienced with shaders and particle effects, but I'd try and include some randomness in how that neon sign throws off the little sparks.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for commenting, now you mention it I think there may be a few too many sparks, or do you mean they should be emitted with more delay between them?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Jonnyquid, I think there are waaay too many sparks on the neon sign. I think lowering them would greatly improve the sign. The rest looks amazing!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    focusing on the particle effects I have to agree about the neon sign sparks. It looks like it is spitting fluorescent water, not sparks or anything like it. The biggest thing I have to critique though is your fire....with no fire. You have a neat smoke effect going and I really like the orange tint that would appear near the flames but you don't really have any flames. It's just tinted smoke right now.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the critique guys :)

On the subject of sparks, I understand there are too many, but what would make them look more "sparky"? Longer/faster moving are the things that I can think of.

On the subject of the fire, probably because I used the same texture for the smoke and the fire is why it appears it is just the smoke changing colours. Next time I will have to use a more fire-like texture.

Cheers again for the feedback :)