Home Technical Talk

Malware on portoflio site

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Mods please move this to the correct location if this is in the wrong spot :)

My old website started giving malware warnings when clicking on links to it with some browsers. I deleted the site and bodged together a new one with a wordpress template. I know pretty much sod all about making websites so I just got something basic put together. Now my new one is giving malware warnings too *the one linked in my sig*, but I don't have the faintest idea of now to fix this. Do I need to get my host (dreamhost) to do something, or do I have to access the files through the ftp and scan them somehow....or...something else?

Any help would be appreciated as the site is essentially useless as is :/

Replies

• Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    If you use cPanel there is sometimes a virus scanner tool installed, depending on your host.
    Maybe give that a run? You can scan both Public FTP and Web(HTTP) and mail usually :)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that's strange. According to google the site doesn't host nor link to any harmful content, though have still received warnings of it within the last 90 days.

So either something being injected (but don't think so tbh) or just a bit of funky code messing with the crawlers/spiders or whatever they're called.

Alternatively, are you linking to other websites on your own? And/or are you linking/using an image or file not hosted on your own server?

Cheers
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Sometimes "Free" wordpress themes have nasty stuff injected into them, try the default theme for a bit, or a theme from a reputable site and see if that changes anything.
  • m4dcow
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    In the report, it states that you have 3 ad/stat links/sites which are causing the warning.

Here are the 3 sites causing the issue:
    adstat150.com/, marinstat1282246.ru/, lmstat450.com/.

It's been almost a month since the last google-checkup, so maybe they're gone?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice all. I'm home now so working on trying to get this fixed.

Cheers Ace, I'm trying to see what to do about those links.

Thanks for the link m4dcow. That might be relevant, but I was getting a similar problem with my old site (which I'd made myself in dreamweaver) which is why I took that one down.

I'm currently going through the google webmaster stuff to try to track down the issues and get a review done.

@Adam- I'm not linking to anything outside the site, it's all stuff I uploaded.

@Drew - I don't see cpanel but I'll dig through and see if there is some virus scanner I can use.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    My understanding is that because wordpress is so popular, there has been a lot of effort put into finding security vulnerabilities. A simple html site is easy to maintain and the code can be understood at a glance.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean something like this?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jN5xiCQ_jo"]HTML Tutorial - Simple Portfolio - YouTube[/ame]
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    You have malware injected into your site:

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.mongrelman.com/

^ All the sites I build and maintain, I use that tool to check occasionally, great tool, had one site that kept getting infected (incompetent hosts with poor security, changed hosts and the problem dissappeared) - sucuri stopped picking up the malware, but it was still present, had a live chat to them, gave them the malware code that was injected, they updated their definitions, and got picked up again. Really recommend it.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

^ All the sites I build and maintain, I use that tool to check occasionally, great tool, had one site that kept getting infected (incompetent hosts with poor security, changed hosts and the problem dissappeared) - sucuri stopped picking up the malware, but it was still present, had a live chat to them, gave them the malware code that was injected, they updated their definitions, and got picked up again. Really recommend it.

Man! Thanks so much for that link. I have been looking for something like this for ages! Big Thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

wooo! my site is clean :D

anyway, i think with things like this, it's one of those "don't trust the internet". if it's important enough to stake your reputation and wellbeing on (your portfolio is a direct link to those two things), then it's important enough to do it yourself!

trusting the internet to do it for you is just... not good. and learning html isn't all that difficult if it's just for something like a portfolio. you don't need all the bells and whistles or really diving into epic code.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've deleted everything from the site and put up a new html site I made today. It's very basic and needs some polish, but should do for now. I Used those website scanners and they're showing it clean now, but blacklisted, so I've requested a review from google to get it removed from the blacklist.

And I learned a bit of html today :)