Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Student Art Contest WIP "Environment"

Hello guys ! I'm doing the Blizzard environment contest.
I will appreciate any feedback! so feel free to comment.

Most of the textures are in a rough stage, right now i'm polishing them...
I'm also polishing some geometry and getting rid off some seems that i have in the trees...

Reference:

I used realistic and WOW images...

refff.jpg

Concept:

For the concept i painted this as a start point but i knew i will be doing some changes to it...

bg.jpg

Rocks:

Rocks2.jpg

Maya ViewPort:

My final render is going to be done in Marmoset or UDK...

Screen+shot+2012-12-10+at+8.23.13+PM.png

Screen+shot+2012-12-10+at+8.23.29+PM.png

Screen+shot+2012-12-17+at+3.54.53+PM.png

Screen+shot+2012-12-17+at+3.54.16+PM.png

Textures:

Textures.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Bring your shots in much closer to your focal point. I don't know what i'm supposed to be looking at except for one picture.

Sky dome is really flat. I would try breaking it up into elements and then using a series of cards for more parallax and to help push the volume.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I'd recommend doing your render in UDK. Or some kind of engine, it shows that you can use one, create shaders, light a scene etc :) Marmoset simply spits out wonderful renders haha
  • jairo0182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you both!
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    It's coming along nicely so far! Try pushing the silhouettes on your plants more - the alphas on the grass and leaves look stringy. I keep thinking the scene must be underwater, because of the colors and the seaweedy-looking plants.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ig uess my question at the moment is "What is the purpose of this structure?"
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    Ig uess my question at the moment is "What is the purpose of this structure?"

could be a shrine. or an infobooth.

gift shop? :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I guess whatever the purpose, I would like a unique and brighter/saturated light source at the top of the stairs at that structure. Give it a focal point for me to immediately look at :) I would reckon it'd make it feel like a gosh darn painting.
  • jairo0182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advices everyone!

BTW im trying to get a better silhouette on the tree branches leaves any ideas ???
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Focusing more on the structure would be better...didnt the blizzard example only show a moderatly sized shack?? Dont have the link handy but i believe there was a polycount too.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice fun shapes :] I would bring your shot in closer to the building so there's a better idea of what the focal point is. Like somewhere in between your 2nd and 3rd Maya render. You would really benefit from some fog to help sell distance and make the scene less busy cuz right now all the details are the same value and sharpness and are really competing for attention.

I would personally fill out the tree canopies a bit better so they act more like areas of rest than bright splotches of color that detract your attention from the building. I think you should also get a directional light in there so you can have cast shadows. The structure should be better lit, like brighter, so your attention is drawn.

I like most of the textures, but I think some of the modeling and texturing of the shrine itself is too fine and small and really difficult to read from a distance. You have a lot of chunky shapes in your scene which is good, but make sure that is also reflected in your shrine, which is the most important part of the piece.

Keep going, this is cool, I like the mood and and the color scheme a lot :]
  • jairo0182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys!

Sorry for the late reply... I was doing the Character contest as well so this weekend is going to be very busy!

Notes and Jessica thank you for your feedback, i will do my best.

New updates during the weekend!

BTW i tried UDK for rendering and i also added udk water but it did not look too convincing for me so i think the renders are going to be done in marmoset.

If you would like to take a look at the character i'll add the link.

Thank you all ! ;)

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115574
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking alright. Pretty cohesive. BUMP OUT THOSE STONES. Really bump em out. Thick planes on that rock. BOLD THICK SHAPES. NO wimpy little thin strokes.

Nicks and cuts to break up monotony.

Some rough painting samples for you.

rocksample_zps3a5d1b3d.jpg