Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pixel Art scene " car racing "

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hello guys
i'm starting a new project ; is a pixel art scene scene about cars racing across a
bridge , i get the idea from a work of this guy here : his blog

here is the progress so far , i'm now planning to finish the environment first . then move to the cars

cars2.jpg

Untitled-wire.jpg

any comment or crtis is welcome :)
thanks u !

Replies

• Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Looking good so far! i recommended using a cylinder for the sky box instead of the dome, it'll keep the textures going straight across the horizon instead of bending down
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks u , i fix that :)

here is a another update for this one .. any crits ? so i can move to cars .

wip02.jpg

thanks you
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that strikes me are the shadows, maybe see if you can get them looking more pixelated.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd work on your color a bit more. Now there's red, green, purple, yellow... reduce the palette a bit and make it work together instead of clash.
    Also not a big fan of the curvature on the sky, it just makes it looks like a fake cylindrical background.
    And lastly, don't use perfectly sharp shadows like that, go for low-res, pixelated ones like the rest of the env.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello guys
    thanks for your crits

so i did not khnow how to change the shadow to pixel . so any tips ?
    i did change the color and start working on the car
    i'm didnt like the car .
    anyone can help my with the workflow of painting on uv's ? i just put the base but i dont
    really khnow wath to do next .. outlining the big shapes or wath

so here is some screenshot :

0125.jpg

car.jpg

0122.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You want to have as little AA artifacts as possible, so having straight texture lines is important. Try to make the UV unwraps as straight as possible, like this:

volvo440.png
    volvo440_unwrap.png
    (both images are from slightly different points in creation so they don't match perfectly, but they get the point across)

Also, not to be a dick, but it feels like you spent very little time on the model or any kind of optimization of it. The wheels have so many sides we can't see any corners, so probably 16+ sides, but the wheelwells only get 3 sides, and the rest of the car gets zero detail? That's incredibly unbalanced. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your car, for all the detail it shows, has more triangles than the one I just attached.

And lastly, pixel art is all about attention to detail. Insane attention to detail. Every. Single. Pixel. Counts. There are stray pixels all over this. On the tyres, front of the hood, door sides, etcetera. Make the texture super neat.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you Snader , that help me a lot to improve the car . here is a update
    feel free to crits and comment :)

wip46.jpg

wip45.jpg

car22.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello
    any crits ?

finish_scene01.jpg

cars-2.jpg