Home General Discussion

Concerning Hobbits

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
So with the Hobbit's release just around the corner, I though I'd have an awesome weekend and see it when it comes out next week here in Germany. As it turns out though, I haven't been able to find any cinemas that show it in both 48fps AND original English sound.

German dubbing is pretty terrible last time I checked and I desperately want to see the new 48fps everybody (well almost everybody) has been raving about.

So, what to do, what to do? Are there any showings in both 48fps and English that I missed? Or do I have to settle for just one of the two?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm not aware that this is a problem if you live anywhere near a bigger cinema? it tends to get tricky if you want to see a movie in english AND NOT in 3D. usually the english version is being offered in 3D only. here in frankfurt i usually only manage to catch that combination in small 'arthouse' type cinemas.

hobbit so far looks like peter jackson's version of the phantom menace though. not going to check that one out. :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Spudnik wrote: »
    German dubbing is pretty terrible
    While there's a few movies which are actually better dubbed, Lord of the Rings wasn't one of them. I just saw the very first one in German... hard to put in words how bad that was.
    I wouldn't care if 3D or not, 48ftp or not as long as it isn't in German. And in any case, you're not seeing the final product anyway. Gotta watch it all again when the extended version hits the shelves ;)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    You think there will be an extended edition when the movie is already divided into 3?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Of course there will be. I have a feeling Peter Jackson only divided them into three, to have three 2-hour movies, as opposed to two 3-hour ones. That being said, more middle-earth is always good. I am stoked.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Kwramm wrote: »
    While there's a few movies which are actually better dubbed,
    it really baffles me how a movie could in any way be better dubbed , cartoons maybe but still usually not as good as the original.

Also i wouldn't want to see an german movie dubbed in english either.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea... maybe... The hobbit is just not that big of a book.. so i dunno where they would pull a 12 hr trilogy with the extended edition. 6 hrs seems about right for the book. But we'll see... i know that in the movie blog they have characters that are not in the book... so we'll see how that goes.

Any opinions on the HDR? i read some really bad reviews on that. I'll prbly wait a week to see this... dunn want to wait 3 hrs in line to watch this.

Apart from that... i am very excited for it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I have a feeling Peter Jackson only divided them into three, to have three 2-hour movies,

166 minutes runtime. ;)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I have a feeling Peter Jackson only divided them into three, to have three 2-hour movies, as opposed to two 3-hour ones.

I think the first one is 170 minutes which is the maximum length it can go for IMAX (I think). I'd assume the guy just wanted to make three 10 hour movies ^^
    Gotta watch it all again when the extended version hits the shelves ;)

Most definitely! And then do an all LOTR Extended + all Hobbit Extended movie ... week, I guess? :D

Seems like original sound is the way to go then! I'm still really excited about those 48fps though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Yea... maybe... The hobbit is just not that big of a book.. so i dunno where they would pull a 12 hr trilogy with the extended edition. 6 hrs seems about right for the book. But we'll see... i know that in the movie blog they have characters that are not in the book... so we'll see how that goes.

Any opinions on the HDR? i read some really bad reviews on that. I'll prbly wait a week to see this... dunn want to wait 3 hrs in line to watch this.

Apart from that... i am very excited for it.

He's putting in a lot that isn't in The Hobbit. From other Tolkien material.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Well, tie in material between The Lord of the rings book and Hobbit book to be exact.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He has been pretty good at keeping with the source material. I am sure this one will be great. I guess a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of action and stuff... but the Hobbit is not known for an epic start... i guess the same goes for fellowship of the ring. The first dvd of the extended edition is perfect. Full of back story, defining all the characters, location and whats going on. I like that. Why some people say this is the Phantom Menace of Peter Jackson, i dunno. Maybe they don't get the book?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I was unaware that it was 166min runtime. Color me excited!
    While the Hobbit wasn't that big of a book, they took so much OUT of the Lord of the Rings (and made stuff up, too. There were never any elves at Helm's Deep) that it just got depressing at times (Don't get me wrong, they are my favorite films of all time). If they can squeeze in every bit of the book, and more, into this trilogy, I'll be happy.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    He has been pretty good at keeping with the source material. I am sure this one will be great. I guess a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of action and stuff... but the Hobbit is not known for an epic start... i guess the same goes for fellowship of the ring.

Fellowship of the Ring was easily the better of the three films. It gave you characters and reasons to care about them, and followed them. The long winded battle scenes (especially in the third film) got tiring.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    it really baffles me how a movie could in any way be better dubbed , cartoons maybe but still usually not as good as the original.

You should watch Chicken Run's Belgian dub. They fantastically use specific Belgian accents and how we perceive them to underline the character's personalities. Rocky the Rooster is a cocky guy from Antwerp for example ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

It's like when you make let's say a pixar movie - you have awesome characters and you can match them with the perfect voice of your choosing! This is not always a bad thing if you see this from an artistic point of view. e.g. I think Bruce Willis has a much better voice in German because they picked a slightly tougher sounding voice actor for him.
    Spaceballs is probably the best dub I know. The movie is just as damn funny - with different in-jokes in the German version as it is in the English one. A lot of work went into that.

Now many movies don't really come close to the original, but a few are just better. Not sure why this is hard to believe. Do you also believe remakes never reach the original, movies never are as good as the book, and all that? Just keep an open mind and be surprised ;)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Fellowship of the Ring was easily the better of the three films. It gave you characters and reasons to care about them, and followed them. The long winded battle scenes (especially in the third film) got tiring.

I agree... i can watch the first movie more often than the other ones. And its kinda the closest one to the book in a lot of ways.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    It's like when you make let's say a pixar movie - you have awesome characters and you can match them with the perfect voice of your choosing! This is not always a bad thing if you see this from an artistic point of view. e.g. I think Bruce Willis has a much better voice in German because they picked a slightly tougher sounding voice actor for him.

there's also schwarzenegger. bearable in the german versions, absolutely godawful to listen to in english (save for the chuckle-effect) when the killer robot from dystopian future LA sounds like ötzi von der alm.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    I agree... i can watch the first movie more often than the other ones. And its kinda the closest one to the book in a lot of ways.

Though they forgot Tom Bombadil and the 20 year timeskip between Bilbo's birthday and Frodo leaving the shire
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Listen to that podcast i posted... it's very interesting. They talk about a lot of things that i complained a lot. Like Tom not being there... or choices that were added on to characters. But once they are in a different perspective, there are things that i see why they took out or added. Tom Bombadill would have set the pacing of the movie to a complete halt. Even when i know that he is a major reason why they succeed in the end. But there is a choice there, and Jackson decided to keep certain continuities. Like for example... Arwen is a minor character... in the movies its more intricate... Aragorn in the books is not hesitant.. in the movies he has a story arch of doubt that translates into resolution throughout all the 3 movies. Little things like that. It's very interesting.

How do you make 20 year timeskip as a well paced sequence tie in for the movie? make it a montage with the carpenters top of the world song playing in the background?

http://youtu.be/fup3Ej41Ml0

For some reason that doesn't pace well with the tone of the movie. But i agree with you... they took out a lot of meaning there, cuz Bilbo and Frodo are around the same age when they leave the Shire. Anyways...

I am excited to see what lore from the silmarillion they add here. There must be... cuz the third movie will be about what, if Smaug is in the second one.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Mithdia wrote: »
    Though they forgot Tom Bombadil and the 20 year timeskip between Bilbo's birthday and Frodo leaving the shire

Actually Peter Jackson really wanted Tom Bombadil in the movies but sadly had to cut him out. He did however give some of his lines to TreeBeard :\.

Back to my nerd hole from whence I came!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I wish 3D movies didn't make me sick to my stomach to the point where I get headaches and super nauseous.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Spaceballs is probably the best dub I know. The movie is just as damn funny - with different in-jokes in the German version as it is in the English one. A lot of work went into that.

Now many movies don't really come close to the original, but a few are just better. Not sure why this is hard to believe. Do you also believe remakes never reach the original, movies never are as good as the book, and all that? Just keep an open mind and be surprised ;)

That's localisation though, not better just because it's been dubbed
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I'm actually really glad Peter Jackson made the changes. I loved the books, but they were very long winded and had no real since of pacing at times, though they felt like a true adventure. The movies are more action-oriented and such, but the changes were good for film I think.

Btw, Tom Bombadil will be in the hobbit. :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I've been this excited for a movie since I was 11 and the original Ninja Turtles came out. Just heard on the radio that due to the 48fps and 3D combo people have been puking in the theater, better bring some motion sickness pills ErichWK ;)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    That's probably just a rumor. Considering that the movie isn't even out yet, and that anyone that's seen it in 48fps must have done so in a private screening controlled by WB (how else would you get a copy at 48fps and the equipment to play it?), I would think they'd be aware if this has actually happened. If it happened off their watch, I'd bet it was faulty random equipment used to play it unofficially that caused it. But more likely than not it's just a rumor.

Also, really? Germany dubs movies? I never would have thought. Why is that done? I thought most Germans can understand English just fine can't they? And if not, why not just put subtitles on stuff?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure why this is hard to believe. Do you also believe remakes never reach the original, movies never are as good as the book, and all that? Just keep an open mind and be surprised ;)

Not at all , im very open minded when it comes to such things, but i hate it when the lips dont sync to whats actually being said, i think thats my biggest problem with it.
    Xoliul wrote: »
    You should watch Chicken Run's Belgian dub. They fantastically use specific Belgian accents and how we perceive them to underline the character's personalities. Rocky the Rooster is a cocky guy from Antwerp for example ;)

thats why i added the cartoons maybe , i've seen a few good ones like the lion king too for example.