Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

House tank walker thing

Okay so this is what I'm working on at the moment. It's based on the below concept. I've not stuck to the concept 100%, for various reasons.

So I'd really appreciate feedback on what I've done so far. Let me know how I can improve it both on the design and execution. I struggle still at filling the gaps in from concepts, so I feedback is important for me.

There are some bits I'm not happy with (such as the boxiness of the lower half).

Concept:

1qhgb

Current Progress:

1qhjB

1qhmE

Replies

• ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    It's loooking pretty sweet! Cant wait to see your progress on this.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Your progress so far is pretty awesome, I am short on time so I cant give a complete and thorough critique at this time, but I am confused as to what is in the back container? And also, the angle of the treads, where they meet at the angle for the middle wheel, seems quite acute. The concept has a pretty relaxed hang to it, and I think that helps with the round shapes. Right now with the angled tread, there are too many block shapes, and the rounded shape instead would help break up the blockyness of the piece. Pretty awesome so far! And I cannot wait to see how this turns out :) Super unique and would be an awesome portfolio piece!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thank you both! The back container is coal, for fuel. Guess it'd be more obvious if it was black (at least I hope). I'll certainly move the treads around.

The main block part I have issues with is the front corners. They don't exist in the concept but I feel the middle section would be too thin if the door section continued backwards.

Also thanks for the kind words Add3r but I don't plan on creating a portfolio for a looong time. I don't think my skill level is high enough and I'm super slow. Every time I make a new model I feel I've progressed though.

Oh, and this was my first time really using zbrush (I've screwed around but not really done much with it before). I can't draw (would like to learn in the future) but I certainly enjoyed the process of sculpting.

Screenshot of the sign at the back of the model before decimation:

1qhVw
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Hmm, to be honest I was hoping for a larger amount of critique/feedback :(
  • Shmaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The edges on the wood planks are too lumpy and it needs some wood grain. Take one of the trim brushes (I like to use trim dynamic) to the edges and rough them up a bit with that. I'd like that sign to look like it went through hell. I wouldn't bother with sculpting those nails in, just plop a separate cylinder or sphere on there and it'll work as a nail.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll do another pass on the sign when I'm a bit further along with the main body.

Also I did try to try to carve in some wood grain, but I struggled to make it look good. I don't think my lack of experience with consistent strokes helped. Maybe lazymouse would of helped.

Also I'm assuming that the sign fits in then? Its not in the concept but I thought it'd be cool to do.
  • Jack_Rhoad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack_Rhoad polycounter lvl 7
    This looks awesome, gives me a really nice Howl's Castle kinda feel, which is just great to me. And while I cannot critique (I'm terribad at it) I was wondering about the ladder a the front of the house tank thing, there was no windows access to it, nor any pipes or components nearby, so I was wondering bout it's function.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Jack_Rhoad wrote: »
    This looks awesome, gives me a really nice Howl's Castle kinda feel, which is just great to me. And while I cannot critique (I'm terribad at it) I was wondering about the ladder a the front of the house tank thing, there was no windows access to it, nor any pipes or components nearby, so I was wondering bout it's function.

Thanks! It certainly does have a certain howl's castle feel. Maybe I should rewatch that movie to get some inspiration!

In regards to the ladder, it has some doors things at the top but not the bottom. I was just following the concept at the time. But you're right, their function is not immediately obvious. I will have a play around in regards to this.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The problem with most starting artists (I was the same until I just pushed myself) was they are almost afraid of their skill level. They feel like they have to be INSANE good and be able to compete with the higher level artists who have been in the industry for many years, and their portfolios are just stacked with all the professional work they have done. To be honest, the only way to get out there is to just start making art, being creative, and take the time to present it and find the opportunities to apply for. I got a small indie phone development job and enjoyed every moment being in the studio and learned WAY more than I could have ever in a classroom setting in college (still working on my bachelor degree at Ai-OC, Have a year and a half left). Now that I have the experience and mark on my resume, it has opened doors to studios like Obsidian and InExile, and I am not working on portfolio pieces to start applying seriously for junior/intern jobs at AAA studios.

On a side note, I cant really draw either, but that doesn't stop me from practicing and practicing my sculpting. At Blizzard, if you go to apply, they want to see that just about all of their artists can concept at a professional level, so artists can get their ideas across to their team. Whether it be a solid sketch, to a colored/rendered concept that could be in the art book. Just start modeling/texturing/sculpting as much as you physically can, and you will get there man.

Here is my Portfolio as it stands (I have quite a bit of work being finished up that I will be adding in the coming days/week.) www.TylerGeosanoArt.com

Its all about exposure and practice man :) Like I said, this has the possibility of being a great port piece as it has SO much character and that's what a lot of employers are looking for. They are looking for someone who adds character and life to their work, instead of just a prop/character mill, that pumps out the generic work following the concept directly and its just super bland.
  • Jack_Rhoad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack_Rhoad polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks! It certainly does have a certain howl's castle feel. Maybe I should rewatch that movie to get some inspiration!

In regards to the ladder, it has some doors things at the top but not the bottom. I was just following the concept at the time. But you're right, their function is not immediately obvious. I will have a play around in regards to this.

You couldn't perhaps place a simple box or a little door with a warning sign on it, like the power boxes you sometimes see on the streets or rigs. Kinda "use this ladder to do maintenance."
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks for the advice dude. I guess I know what you mean. But I feel like I should be able to produce any model no matter the complexity of the resulting topology, and to be able to do it within a decent time frame. I can't currently do these things.

I can see how it would be less of a problem in a small/indie studio, but I imagine that such jobs would be far and few between in the UK (I recently spent 6 months unemployed looking for any job).

Can I ask how long you've been doing 3D for? I've been learning in my spare time for about a year. I think I had a really slow start though as I didn't realise the amount of content available on the net for a long time. My first model of a UAV I tried to model purely with splines lol.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Suspended work on this for a bit due to working on a test piece applying for an indie dev team :D Plus new job irl and stuff.

You inspired me to apply for the dev team add3r :)

Jack, I like that idea, it could work.