Home Technical Talk

Modular question

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Morning Polycounters,

I feel like i understand modular moddeling. The understand how to create the diffuse texture before moddeling then using extrude from th texture map to quickly build pieces.

HOWEVER

I dont understand how to create assets like roofs. Building doors, window frames are easy because they are square/rectangle shape so extracting them from textures seems pretty simple.

The problem i have with roofs are that:

1. Geo is not simple (im planning on building a japanese tea house)
2. The textures would not be square so extracting them wouldnt be possible

Replies

• Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    Modularity is about defining re-usable shapes. Such as Left Middle Right. Then the point where these models touch should be flexible enough to take multiple models so you should be able to build

LR
    LMR
    LMMR
    LMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMR LMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMR

so with a Japanese roof there's a long gradual curve to it that changes depending upon the size of the roof. This mean's you're going to have a lot of trouble with a Top Middle Bottom approach so I wouldn't bother. Instead focus on creating corners and middle pieces. I'd have your ridges in a separate model so that it's easy to tuck these pieces against a wall or rotate it 180 and slap a ridge on top. The best space for one of your splits seems to be right beside a ridge pics like THIS show me that the tiles have an obvious ridge on the left you cna use to mask your module joints.