Home Technical Talk

Overlapping UVs and Normal Map Baking issue.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Banging my head against the wall trying to learn how to do normal maps correctly.

My current workflow is:

Move overlapping UVS -> Triangulate mesh -> bake -> move back overlapping UVs and export into Marmoset.

Here's what it looks like from one side:

IJlQG.jpg

And here's what it looks like from the side that had the overlapped UVs that were moved before baking.

G0d3Z.jpg

It looks fine on both sides in Maya, but as soon as I export to marmoset I get that bad result. I don't really know any other way to approach it other than Nnt overlapping the UVs, but the piece is a gun and it seems like a massive waste of space if I don't overlap.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really starting to hate normal maps.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Is it required to move the shells back to overlap when exporting to marmoset? Try without it perhaps. Theoretically it will either repeat (so it's overlapping anyway) or ignore it..

Perhaps take a look at the marmoset thread here or the pdf documentation for it.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    What format are you exporting to and what are your settings?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What format are you exporting to and what are your settings?

I think I've figured the issue out. I'm exporting as an FBX. I had to turn off tangents and binormals.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do this in maya:

Lock normals
    Triangulate
    export

Will fix your issue. This happens when you load quads into marmoset, as marmoset may reverse the triangle order on import. Make sure to do the lock normals step, otherwise your vertex normals will change a little bit when you triangulate and you'll get smoothing errors.

edit: oh wait, you say you've triangulated already? What does your mesh look like without the normal map then? Do you have hard edges on one side but not on the other?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    You are using a mirrored normal map, yes?

I will bet you 5 dollars that one side of your model has either different triangulation or different smoothing groups from the other side of your model.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do this in maya:

Lock normals
    Triangulate
    export
    Will fix your issue. This happens when you load quads into marmoset, as marmoset may reverse the triangle order on import. Make sure to do the lock normals step, otherwise your vertex normals will change a little bit when you triangulate and you'll get smoothing errors.
    I was doing exactly this for a few hours yesterday and it just wouldn't work. I'd lock the normals and then triangulate, but it would mess up my smoothing groups no matter what I did. Oddly enough, the fix was to go out of View port 2.0 in Maya. For some reason, being in view port 2.0 messed up the smoothing when triangulating.
    edit: oh wait, you say you've triangulated already? What does your mesh look like without the normal map then? Do you have hard edges on one side but not on the other?
    I just had to turn off Tangents and binormals when exporting as an FBX to solve the issue.