Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pro of Quan Dao /WIP/ - Crits please

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
Started harassing polygons after years of deep slumber, turns out tech advanced a lot and everything seems to be much easier and simple now. In the other hand I still have tons to catch up with.
Decided to go serious on this one, a fantasy character, some kind of eastern warrior with a big bad ass pole arm weapon (Quan Dao).

All your critiques are very appreciated, and thanks in advance for everything.
Been away from the nextgen tools and techniques for years...

Replies

• Zoltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
    - Reference & Inspiration -
    Here u can see most of the refs I used while massaging some details and blocking out the shape of this dude.
    refs_inspiration_zps1c2bda21.jpg
  • Zoltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
    - Blocking Phase -
    Still a long way to go, practice does good to my rusty fingers.
    Planning to widen the hips, and enlarge the hands, as they look a bit tiny imo, also not too keen on the head`s "ear gear"
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Looks interesting, a lot of details that must have taken a lot of time to create! Hmm, perhaps the shape of the loincloth behind him makes his butt seem rather big in the side view, compared to how straight his back appears from the belt? :) I like the shape of his face and the general feel of thick, layered gear. The shapes seem bold all around, looking forward to see how you progress refining the character!
  • Zoltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers! Yeah now that u mention thats quite a bum on him hehe, will push that back in a bit, and yeah details taking ages mainly now that I`ve started detailing this and that on him.

Update will follow shortly! :)
  • Zoltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
    - Detail Phase -
    Getting some details in, spamming around with alphas, making dents, cracks, and asymmetric details. Trying to mimic different shapes and forms of armor and materia.