Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arenanet Art Test [Environment]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
[EDIT] Sorry this should be in contests, could someone move it for me please? Thanks!

Hey guys, I'll be doing that Arenanet art test.

I thought I'd post what I've done so far and get some feedback

aefs_by_julionicoletti-d5h3tnj.png
-Should I re-do this? I feel like the wood grain is too much/wrong

dvdsvdsdv_by_julionicoletti-d5h3tp8.png
Hi poly brick sculpt

sacsaca_by_julionicoletti-d5h3tqk.png
-low poly bake. I need to do more work in the grout areas and then add mud and moss (probably alphas)

Think I'm going in the right direction so far, or should I go for a realistic route?
Thanks for looking!

Replies

• m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Brick texture is looking cool, not completely sure the bubble grouting should be quite so... bubbly, but It still looks good. Could potentially be a good idea to tile it in photoshop, add more colour variation and re-import at a lower res.

Redo the wood :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    This thread should also be in the contest section, not P&P.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops sorry! I'll put a note to mods in op.
    Thanks m1neh, I'll fix up that grouting and I'm resculpting the wood currently
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Looks great don't change a thing!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the wood (resculpted 3 times :( ), but I still feel like it's wrong...I'll probably resculpt it later but first I want to finish blocking in the textures for everything else
    sacsaca_by_julionicoletti-d5h5b4g.png
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Wood is definitely a hard thing to sculpt, the last iteration is looking more and more closer to a finished piece, I would go back and find a good high res image of wood grains etc and make a few alphas in photoshop, using these in Zb you can get the organic detail and realism, then you add your artistic take and style.

It's looking fairly good so far, the dimensions, all the important pieces of the puzzle seem to fit. Get further into your piece but take note of your issues to come back to that way the community can give you some more valuable feedback.

I would also look into some vertex painting on the bricks, but I know you have either thought of it or discounted it due to limitations. (have to go see if they are still the same as previous years)

Good Luck!
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    wow sweet building
    very cool interpretation of the modelsheet
    i think the texture doesnt really fits the guild wars style
    it's a sweet handpainted texture, and guildwars is more realistic
    good luck !
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Love the direction you took with the bricks, they look seriously great, and honestly the wood doesn't look half bad. Just curious, is that last image from Marmoset?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Prtofdacrowd: I hadn't even though of the alpha trick; while I didn't make a custom alpha last night, I did sculpt the wood on the door and used some default alphas which I think made it turn out much better. As for vertex painting, I'm not too sure if I'll be able to. I'm going to be rendering this in Marmoset and I'm not sure if it can handle vertex paint. However I will be using alpha cards and layered textures for extra damage and stuff

@hannes: Yah, going back and studying some screenshots I totally agree with you. Today I think I will rework the brick texture. The nice thing is that I have almost all the uvs layed out so retexturing shouldnt be too much of a pain :)

@Justin, yup that's Marmoset. Way nicer in-game renders than UDK in my opinion :P

Yesterday I did the door
    hipoly
    svgsdrgrsd_by_julionicoletti-d5hhvoq.png

lowpoly with texture
    xgbdbdf_by_julionicoletti-d5hhu3f.png
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, loving it the wood looks fantastic, its very artistic, very stylised and believeable.... Nailed it!

The metal as well is a great job, Im gonna go check your other threads :D

Keep us updated!

(found your portfolio, awesome stuff... well except for the vagina rhino sketch made me giggle to hard to look at it, gonna drop a link to pimp your portfolio- http://julionicoletti.blogspot.ca/)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, loving it the wood looks fantastic, its very artistic, very stylised and believeable.... Nailed it!

The metal as well is a great job, Im gonna go check your other threads :D

Keep us updated!

(found your portfolio, awesome stuff... well except for the vagina rhino sketch made me giggle to hard to look at it, gonna drop a link to pimp your portfolio- http://julionicoletti.blogspot.ca/)

Haha thanks! Somehow all my aliens end up looking like vaginas...I think I'll go back to that concept and render it out a bit better, originally I wanted to have a bunch of crab claws and gribbly crustacean things with tiny stalk eyes up top :P
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New rock texture test (test because it doesn't tile). Just trying to achieve a more realistic brick texture
    sfefsef_by_julionicoletti-d5hisky.png

Feedback greatly appreciated!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think this new brick looks way better. I didn't like the grout in the last texture, it was kindof an icky color and also I think the channels were too wide. I super love the gradient in this one! Only thing, did you sharpen the textures or something? They seem a little too sharp.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jessica, I finished this sculpt up and added colour. Came out much better than my last one. And yeah, I think I left the sharpen feature on in marmoset :P

dadawd_by_julionicoletti-d5hjssp.png
    efewfwe_by_julionicoletti-d5hjssv.png
    sefwsfg_by_julionicoletti-d5hjssj.png

Next step is to fix up the geo a bit, get the windows in, bake some AO, then I can start thowing in some dirt and plant alpha cards
    Also will be redoing the wood probably
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I would try to add some color/contrast difference between the roof tile and the brick texture. Right now they are kind of reading as the same texture, and even more so if you were further away from the house. Besides that the textures look really nice.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good advice, I hadn't even noticed that. Changed it to a more earthy tone:
    fefe_by_julionicoletti-d5hjv5q.png

(just a screengrab from mayas viewport)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Selaznog, watching your thread for a couple days..
    Good work - keep it up man. I also think you should add some more color variations. Also noticed, that your door is slightly to short ?!
    What about decals, dirt and some grass on the walls ?

I have a progress question, did you stitch all components together like Amir did ? Is this stitching necessary for every engine and a usual thing ?
    (Thought that games like Guildwars 2, use modular as well and its huge advantages)

Greetz
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlphaVader - Thanks to leaps in engine technology intersecting meshes are typically not a problem for many modern game engines. Typically it used to be a problem for vertex lighting and z-fighting.

Although now what it its a standard technique to create modular environments we can create more elaborate detailed environments with the polys saved from contiguous meshes, and with more shader tricks.
    The brick is looking much better and closer to the concept, I did enjoy the crazy almost inky bricks from before, i'd put them somewhere safe for another project.

Lets see some windows and a turnaround soon though :)
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I love the new brick texture, blows the old one out of the water. I would suggest maybe adding some pops of color here and there... maybe flowers in the grass or some green mossy detail on the plaster/stucco?

Good luck! I think I might attempt this too and see how far I can get! :)
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    This is lookin' pretty sweet so far! I do think the color change in your last update has caused the stone wall to be too close in hue and value to the wood, where the concept has some nice separation in the different major pieces. I might even darken and saturate the roof more as well.

anet.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding the green bushes in JMYoung's paint over pushes it more in the right direction. I think you should also take your image, bring it into photoshop, and desaturate it. Your values could contrast each other more rather than only contrast against the wall.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlphaVader and Sybrix: Don't worry, I'll be adding lots of plant decals and alphas so this has more variation. And I started out doing it modular (the brick pieces) but decided the end result would be more important than having it work modular. However I might still break it into modular chunks.

@Prtofdacrowd: Thanks man, windows below V

@JMYoung and Burtonyang, thanks guys, great advice. I'm still trying to find a good direction for the brick. Too brown, matches the wood, too blue, matches the tiles. I do like how it looks in your paint over though...Will probably go that route :P

Alrighty, update time.
    Here's how it's looking so far, sorry bout the glitches in the windows.
    fqrfwerf_by_julionicoletti-d5hsat8.png

And highpoly sculpts/low poly final
    ascfadcv_by_julionicoletti-d5hsb0d.png

I'm very happy I decided to redo the wood...So much better than my first two tries. I'm also going to re-do the tiles. Heck, I might even re-do the door if I have time.

So...next up is the ceiling of the roof, and then I'll work on foliage
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, lovely work man!
    I really like where it's going, the only thing that kinda doesn't feel right, is the roof. Perhabs the tiles are too large or something.
    Maybe it's just that Rock wall, wood, even door look quite realistic, while roof somehow doesnt look as realistic. Dunno, with those rounded (wooden?) tiles, roof just looks somehow more cartoonish and with that, a little out of place.

But otherwise, really great work! Keep up!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky wrote: »
    Oh, lovely work man!
    I really like where it's going, the only thing that kinda doesn't feel right, is the roof. Perhabs the tiles are too large or something.
    Maybe it's just that Rock wall, wood, even door look quite realistic, while roof somehow doesnt look as realistic. Dunno, with those rounded (wooden?) tiles, roof just looks somehow more cartoonish and with that, a little out of place.

But otherwise, really great work! Keep up!

Thanks! And yah, I definitely plan on redoing the roof. Gonna look at some more reference this time and not rush the sculpt :P
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    i envy you and your textures
    struggling so much with it atm
    keep up the good work
    i like the stonetexture the most atm
    maybe add some more hue variation in the wood and maybe also in the roof
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job man! Here's a nice little wood tutorial that I think you'd find really helpful: http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/woodrough/woodrough.html

I plan on using it for mine too.

EDIT: Regarding those bricks, do less variation, That tiling is really evident. You've got a lot of potential!
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FractaL wrote: »
    tutorial that I think you'd find really helpful: http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/woodrough/woodrough.html

Check the entire material series out its a collection of fantastic tutorials!
  • jestersheepy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good!
    I agree with the variation on the rocks, the repetition is too noticeable.

There also appears to be some warping on the roof?

Not sure if you have touched the white parts yet but I reckon that texture could give off a huge impact (Considering there's a lot of it on screen and it's the brightest value).