Home Technical Talk

Quick question about cage

hey guys,

Just a quick question about using the cage when baking maps. I understand the cage should as close to the hi poly as possible, but does that mean the cage should go "through" your low poly to achieve this, which causes my render to tell me I missed rays? or, in the case of my screenshot for instance, should I just reset the cage here so it sits right on top of my low-poly, still being as close to the hi-poly as possible?

xPWKE.jpg

you can see right now I have the cage going just a little behind my low-poly

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Yes the bake will look better but why not just move the low-poly closer?
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I could've just pulled the bottom and top borders closer the hi-poly i suppose, I was just wondering if the cage going behind the lo-poly but infront of the hi-poly was an option.

nXkag.jpg
    after uniformly scaling the cage out to cover these areas, since the hi-poly is actually pushing through my lo-poly, I reset the top and bottom borders to hug the lo-poly again since in these areas, the hi-poly is sitting inside instead. as you suggested I guess I could've just pulled the borders in a bit closer, I just wanted to know if i had that option

riqC9.jpg
    normal map that was baked just resetting the borders instead of going through

SnKNB.jpg
    render of both meshes with normal applied to LP. successful bake?