Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Time Poster - Low Poly Mustang

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Trawler polycounter lvl 6
So my name is Reece,

I have just started a Games Design course at Leeds Met uni, and we have just started the first 3D modelling assignment.

Its a Low Poly assignment, we have to model a car within a 1000 triangle limit.

This isn't my first time modelling, I have had a years previous experience but in no way am I claiming to be a great modeller. I did it more as a hobby, but looking to make that transition into professional.

It would be fantastic if I could get some crit's about my work so far, good or bad I can take it!

Please rip it apart :)

Front view:
mustang02.png

Back View:
mustang03.png

Beneath View:
mustang04.png

I apologise if some of the images don't work first time, not sure what the best way to post images on here is :/

Thanks for reading :)

Reece.

Replies

• worldalpha
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah sorry, still not used to this forum business haha :D

Here are the links to the imageshack until I can figure out how to just slap the image in the post:

(Sorry for being a complete forum noob)

mustang02.png

mustang03.png

mustang04.png

And I forgot to mention last post that its sitting at about 935 triangles out of 1000 !
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Reece,

I'm also at Leeds Met - on the same course but I'm a final year student :) - I again did games design before I went to uni after my A levels as a BTEC to further my skills as I didn't have a clue what I wanted to study further.

- As no one else has posted I'll give you some sound advice on your model, I'll try not to be too critical but honest at the same time. - As I'm just giving the same advice I got when I've spoken to a few "pros" on here!

- You have many years to gain before you make that transition between hobbyist and professional I'm not saying that to be a jerk its merely that you have to practice and become excellent with - various softwares; zbrush, mudbox, maya, max, and various game engines - from UDK to Unity :P as that's all you'll be using at Uni and its not very widely used in industry. Not only that but then become "speedy" with them.

In general I would say you have the silhouette - almost nailed; it looks like a low poly mustang

Your topology is "Ok" - you have some very clean parts to the model, then in some areas where you've used triangles (which is fine) that just becomes messy. - Your should attempt to evenly space your quads where-ever possible.

You have some edges in there, that aren't actually needed; they don't add anything to the model nor in removing them would result in five sided faces.

Your wheels even on a low poly model could be more of the required shape!

Again,

Nicely done - some small improvements and it'll be done :)
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply David! and its good to see someone from Leeds met use polycount! :D

Thanks for all the advice, and I have tried to implement everything you mentioned into my model, hopefully its looking a little better now. I have attempted to take out unnecessary lines and edge loops that were not effecting the overall silhouette.

I have also bunked up the polycount on the wheels to make them rounder.

Im still a bit unsure about the triangle placement and the overall topology of the model, but I suppose im going to have to keep those in there if I want to stay below my budget.

Anyway's here are the updates:

mustang05.png

mustang06.png

mustang07.png

The polycount is currently sitting at 974 triangles, so I have some give.

Thanks again for the reply.

Reece